A&H

Fulham vs Leeds

alexv

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
This is doing the rounds (the tweet is petty and I don’t agree with it at all) . Been splitting opinion - half saying no penalty at all, half saying it’s soft, but a foul nonetheless. I think it’s soft and was surprised it was given but can see why he’s given it. Seems harsh as it’s not really a push, more just his arms are out and the player goes down into them; notice the fouled player doesn’t appeal. Can 100% see why it’s been given though. For context, it was the 5th minute and first attack of the game.

The Referee Store
He has put both hands on his back and pushed, you take a big chance doing that. Agree it is on the soft side, but difficult to say it was categorically wrong.
I agree. I do wonder if it would’ve been controversial if it wasn’t given though. Seemed like a tough game to referee tbf, lots of yellows

The problem I find with a lot of penalty decisions is the risk taken, as mentioned above. If that happened in the middle of the pitch, it's unlikely to be given imo.

In an attacking phase near the goal, you can't be doing that, even if you exert no force. A referee might think you've applied force /pressure, and you've only got yourself to blame for putting your hands there.

Hope that makes sense!

Leeds fans are the City fans in the Prem, they’ve a large fan base whose expectations have outweighed their finishing league positions since 2004. They generally believe their are conspiracies against them but the wheels are currently wobbling again!

Soft pen but it’s a pen!

Last edited:
There's hands in the back but I'm not sure how much of a push there is. Ref is perfectly placed to see it though and make the decision.

I'd like to see a booking for at least one of the protesters- I absolutely hate crowding a ref and It's clear dissent.

There's hands in the back but I'm not sure how much of a push there is. Ref is perfectly placed to see it though and make the decision.

I'd like to see a booking for at least one of the protesters- I absolutely hate crowding a ref and It's clear dissent.

Exactly what i was thinking as im watching it, the referee just lets the Leeds players one in particular moan and moan for about 30 seconds.

Id still like to see the refs use their spray in incidents like this, give the decision and when players come towards you spray on the line back off five yards or whatever and anyone crossing the line instant yellow card.

Exactly what i was thinking as im watching it, the referee just lets the Leeds players one in particular moan and moan for about 30 seconds.

Id still like to see the refs use their spray in incidents like this, give the decision and when players come towards you spray on the line back off five yards or whatever and anyone crossing the line instant yellow card.
You would then have to caution yourself for making unauthorised marks on the FOP 😂

Imagine that, on a Sunday morning, on the halfway line from a goal kick.

You will hear the inevitable shouts of “in the back, ref!” In such circumstances I always look for an extension of the arms - just because a player may have his hands on the back of the man in front of him, I don’t give a free kick. However, if I see the arms extending - I.e. bent elbows becoming straight- I’ll give a free kick.

In this case, I’ve seen the arms extend, hence free kick. Because it’s in penalty area, it’s a penalty.

That’s my thought process, anyway.

Very easy pen to give. It’s unlucky for the def that the push makes the attacker slip and obviously go down (possibly v smart by the attacker) but easy pen IMHO.

And well sold by the ref. And yes I would like him to e.g. retreat and make any chasing and dissent more obvious and easily cardable.

The push in the back is blatant and what 7-8 yards from goal. I think it’s a really easy decision. Blatant foul.

It's soft, but it should be a pen. The attacker has attempted to move backwards but is prevented doing so by the defender putting his arms into his back. Admittedly, it does look like there was a bit of a slip as well. There's argument for and against.

However, I'm fine with the penalty for that tweet alone. For a club to tweet about it being a contact sport based on a push is mad.

Or the can accidentally goes off in the players face whoops how careless of me.

Back