A&H

Frustration

Tino Best

RefChat Addict
Level 6 Referee
2 weeks ago I received notification through WGS. This league doesn't have a directory so you have to wait for them to get in contact with you. By Wednesday I had not heard anything so rang my RDO. She gave me the number and added that they know they should be in contact with the refs. So I ring the number goes to ansaphone, leave a message with all my contact details. Still no reply. Turn up on Saturday the home team are training the game was called off on the friday but no email,text or phone call to me. Luckily It was only a 20 mile round trip but it is a waste of diesel and time on a holiday weekend. I reported this to my RDO and was properly cheesed off.

The Referee Store
Did you get your fee off them before you left? It is their responsibility to inform you of any changes to the fixture is it not?

All the leagues round here the competition rules state that you'd be entitled to your full fee.

You would certainly be entitled to expenses. If your email and contact details are correct on full-time then there is no excuse.

Another way is to find out who the league ref Sec is and bug them about it too.

I didn't get a fee but I passed it on to my RDO as soon as I got home. She's pretty on the ball and I am sure she will sort it out or advise me on how to sort it out myself. All my details are correct as I get emails and phonecalls and texts all the time from more proactive managers.

Was it a county game, as if not the RDO won't be able to do anything. The league need to fine the club for failing to confirm the game, or rather then non-game, with you. Plus the league need to pay you your fee and then reclaim that from the club.

I believe some leagues round here pay half-fee + mileage, which for a 20 mile trip would still leave you a little short on a full match fee I assume, although not bad for a short drive!

Either way, as Rusty points out, it will be the league that administer this, it will be the league handbook that determines what you're owed and it will be the league who will be able to best advise you how to proceed.

Covered by 13(F) of the standard code of rules, which states ...

In the event of a match not being played because of circumstances over which the Clubs have no control, the Match Officials, if present, shall be entitled to full fee plus expenses/half fee plus expenses/expenses only. Where a match is not played owing to one Club being in default, that Club shall be ordered to pay the Officials, if they attend the ground, their full fee and expenses

The bit in boldis the only part that leagues can change, so it is clear here that one club was at fault and therefore a full fee and expenses is applicable. Although the expenses part won't be relevant if that league has a flat fee, then it will just be a full match fee.

Back