A&H

Friendlies

Yay first friendly tomorrow. A little bit excited. Despite the expected stupid heat!

The Referee Store
Well officiating a friendly, sorry pre season match, in 30 degree heat was a mistake :) Very hot and not that eventful, but a decent level of football provided by a welsh league youth side (their 1sts also played on an adjacent pitch) turning out against a local side.

Not sure if I will do any more friendlies though. Seems like too much hassle trying not to caution people for dumb tackles etc. I put it down to the heat and players still not getting up to proper fitness yet. How do you guys feel about friendlies?

Hats off to everybody that ventured out today. T'was a wee bit toasty.

Well officiating a friendly, sorry pre season match, in 30 degree heat was a mistake :) Very hot and not that eventful, but a decent level of football provided by a welsh league youth side (their 1sts also played on an adjacent pitch) turning out against a local side.

Not sure if I will do any more friendlies though. Seems like too much hassle trying not to caution people for dumb tackles etc. I put it down to the heat and players still not getting up to proper fitness yet. How do you guys feel about friendlies?
What game did you have yesterday?

It was Pennar robins 2 vs pontardawe. Pontardawe were young (mostly arond 18-21 i would guess with a couple of old heads) but very good, especially in the second half when they made their superior fitness and passing ability count. Their attitude was fantastic, no griping, just got on with game.

60 very hard minutes in the heat. The heart rate monitor stats indicate that I worked harder in the 60 mins than the last game of last season! I am seriously glad the football season ends in may!

I've always allowed roll on/off subs in friendlies if both teams agree, after-all its their friendly in my eyes. Will continue to allow it if teams want it.

In terms of friendlies so far, just the one and that was on an astro 11-a-side. Hoping to get a one most weekends very soon as need to start progressively getting back into the 'flow' as you were.
Jack, if you are caught allowing roll on/roll off substitutions in a game involving teams whose league don't allow that practice in their regular season, then you may be suspended and you can kiss your promotion for this season goodbye.

I had a nice pre-season dos and don'ts for friendlies from my CFA, and the two main highlighted points were to report cards and misconduct and not to allow roll on/off subs that's how I knew.
If this was in written format then maybe it would be handy to put in the useful info section? I'm sure it would answer a lot of questions that a lot of us have about pre-season!

As for me, I try and use cards as you would normally, but I'm sure, like others, I have some sort of mental thing that stops me using them quite so quickly! As for subs, I am yet to come across a team wanting roll on roll off.

Jack, if you are caught allowing roll on/roll off substitutions in a game involving teams whose league don't allow that practice in their regular season, then you may be suspended and you can kiss your promotion for this season goodbye.

Ok Brian, taken onboard thank you.

27 degrees was my hottest pre-season this year, and we altered the game to play four periods instead of two halves - to allow fluids etc to be taken on.

RORO subs are allowed in our pre-season comp, but non comp is down to both teams. We also have a senior men's league and the women's league that play RORO subs all season. Works a treat for me, they shout 'Sub please ref' we stop, one player leaves, another comes on, and away we go - no writing numbers down or recording anything, just quick checks that its 11v11 still.

Four named subs allowed, and I think a maximum of ten changes per game, both the most I've had is 6 I think.

It was Pennar robins 2 vs pontardawe. Pontardawe were young (mostly arond 18-21 i would guess with a couple of old heads) but very good, especially in the second half when they made their superior fitness and passing ability count. Their attitude was fantastic, no griping, just got on with game.

60 very hard minutes in the heat. The heart rate monitor stats indicate that I worked harder in the 60 mins than the last game of last season! I am seriously glad the football season ends in may!

Ah Pennar Robins 2nds, did them a few times last season and one of their centre kids certainly like to air his opinion on the refs performance lol. Pontardawe youth team are very good indeed, I believe quite a few of them are already playing in their first team squad in the Welsh league.

Ah Pennar Robins 2nds, did them a few times last season and one of their centre kids certainly like to air his opinion on the refs performance lol. Pontardawe youth team are very good indeed, I believe quite a few of them are already playing in their first team squad in the Welsh league.
I think i know which kid you mean, mouthy bugger. Ended with a word to his captain "do him a favour, shut him up or take him off". Did the trick.

I'm on the line saturday to a very mouthy team so I'm getting ready for the problems and if any caused then with what birmingham county fa have issued if a player gets sent off they miss a friendly match

Back