A&H

Foul Throws

Blackas

Level 7 Referee
Hi all, just wondering what peoples' views are regarding what age you'd start to penalise players for foul throws?

I did an u12 game yesterday and the coaches of the 2 sides had differing opinions.

Thanks

The Referee Store
Let me guess, the coach whose team didn't know how to properly do throw ins thought they shouldn't be called?

I can't speak to expectations in England, but my view is that improper TIs should be called at any level that is competitive. But that doesn't mean to be super picky. If it's blatantly bad, or bad and the player is trying to gain an advantage from an improper thrown, those are the ones that need to be called. But it also seems that most appeals for bad throws are throws that are ugly but not in violation.

Up to U12 I tend to call them back and give them a second shot at it. I insist that it must be the same player that retakes it as that is part of the learning experience. I try to keep it fair to both sides. I might then have a word to players and coaches at half time and say second half... no freebies, get it right or it turns over.

My tolerance at U13 and up is lower. For marginal ones I'll say it really loud that throws need to be tidied up or were turning them over.

Let me guess, the coach whose team didn't know how to properly do throw ins thought they shouldn't be called?

I can't speak to expectations in England, but my view is that improper TIs should be called at any level that is competitive. But that doesn't mean to be super picky. If it's blatantly bad, or bad and the player is trying to gain an advantage from an improper thrown, those are the ones that need to be called. But it also seems that most appeals for bad throws are throws that are ugly but not in violation.

I agree with this.

Development football - up to the age of U10 in England I call foul throws to correct if they are really bad and let them take it again.

Once they hit U11 they are going into 9-a-side I think foul throws should be called at all times - I would probably give them another chance.

U12 they are at secondary school - Year 7 they should learn to to throw in PE no excuses - reverse learn the hard way.

Once they hit U11 they are going into 9-a-side I think foul throws should be called at all times - I would probably give them another chance.
I've always gone with:

U11 - retake and then turnover.

U12 - Foul Throw, throw in awarded to the other team

Found it works perfectly for me but there's still probably a few that I would let go at U12.

I did 2x U12 friendlies a few weeks back. Only one legal throw across both games.

Spoke to all coaches from both games telling them that it needs to be tidied up before cup games later in the season; as they were going to be pulled regularly.

Didn’t feel appropriate to stop every throw.

I think all depends on ability as well as age. Lower league U12's you could be there all day taking TI's as both teams are struggling to take a proper TI. If this is the case and both teams are poor then i'll let it go, pulling the really poor. If it's a better level, or 1 team can take a proper TI then it's not fair to allow the team that can't to keep getting away with it

I think all depends on ability as well as age. Lower league U12's you could be there all day taking TI's as both teams are struggling to take a proper TI. If this is the case and both teams are poor then i'll let it go, pulling the really poor. If it's a better level, or 1 team can take a proper TI then it's not fair to allow the team that can't to keep getting away with it
The infographic I mentioned has advice at each level; maximum times each age group is allowed.

Back