A&H

Food for thought

PinnerPaul

RefChat Addict
Bruce Millington in the Racing Post (Not available free on line, so can't post a link I'm afraid) is bemoaning the time it takes to complete a ceremonial free kick around the pen area.

Thinks defending side given far too much time to organise itself and writes that it has become like the "scrum" in Rugby - something that breaks up flow of the game and takes far too long. He cites a recent match where it took nearly 2 mins to take a free kick - 2% of the 90' and that time is never added on.

Thoughts?

2nd part of article also interesting as he asks why are some laws rigidly enforced with NO discretion, eg shirt removal, but others are ignored (many we have discussed on here) but he mentions GKs taking longer than 6 secs to release, GKs moving at pens and encroachment also at pens.

A fair article on refereeing (for a change)

Thoughts on the 2nd part as well please

Thanks

The Referee Store
Part 1: If it takes that long to get a free kick taken, the referee is doing something wrong! It may break up the game but in some occasions as referees, that's what we want! It is only fair on the defending team that they are given time to organise and most do this fairly quickly. If I know that it is going to take a while to set up a free kick, sometimes I add on time, but normally I only add it on at free kicks if there is an injury or a caution or dismissal which may take time to sort out.....
Part 2: I guess some laws such as shirt removal are expected to result in a caution. Maybe it is to do with laws which are 'more well known' yet 6 second rule for a goal kick is well known. However, I've never cautioned a GK for taking more than 6 seconds, I may tell them to hurry up though. Actually (I can't remember), is it in law that it has to be no more than 6 seconds??? All down to interpretation though as well. Stuff like encroachment and goal keeper moving, if it doesn't affect the penalty taker or the GK then does it matter so much? Also, if you pulled up every little thing in a game, you would be stopping it every 30 seconds!

I don't give the defending team time to organise. Once the wall is at 10 yards and I'm positioned properly the whistle goes whether the defending team is ready or not. That rarely takes more than about 20 seconds I would think. I've not noticed waiting much more than that on televised games.

I'd also love to know why there is a convention of ignoring some laws. One of my first penalties had to be retaken four times due to incursion but I now toe the 'party line': if it didn't affect the outcome I don't whistle.

No caution, just an indirect free kick chap.

I've got a question which is goalkeeper related...

Goalkeeper saves a shot, parries it to his left but gets a hand on it as it's rolling along the floor. The away striker pops up and kicks the ball into the net. The striker wheels away celebrating as he's just put his team in the lead. Keeper walks back, picks the ball out of the net and kicks it to his team who are rushing to take the centre kick again.

Goal?

Goalkeeper saves a shot, parries it to his left but gets a hand on it as it's rolling along the floor.
By the Laws, the GK now has possession of that ball. No opponent may challenge for that ball.

IFK if no contact with the GK is made during the kick (PIADM), DFK if contact is made with the GK during the kick.

Mostly its an attacking team that asks for the ten yards that may delay a free kick in my experience, I think you a know my stance on this. Never a reason for it to take two minutes, it it were there'd be cards somewhere along the line.
Part two, yes why is that? Perhaps some of the 'mandatory' cautions are a little heavy handed for parks football..............

The whistle is used to signify the attaching team that I am ready for them to take the freekick. Whether the keeper or wall is fully set is not my problem. The laws are clear on this

The whistle is used to signify the attaching team that I am ready for them to take the freekick. Whether the keeper or wall is fully set is not my problem. The laws are clear on this
Thats fine, correct in law and very noble but you'll open up a can of worms if you go down that path too often... Yes, if they are taking the proverbial, but you can lose a team if they feel too aggrieved.....

So to keep one side sweet we make sure the side that has been wronged is prevented from taking advantage of any disorganisation of the team we are punishing.

So to keep one side sweet we make sure the side that has been wronged is prevented from taking advantage of any disorganisation of the team we are punishing.
As I said, you are not wrong in Law, but in practice its a can of worms that you may not want to open,, then again,, you may want to!! Good luck!!

Thanks all, good discussion. Just to clarify the example given in the article was a top level game.

I still think writer has made a good point about how we ignore some laws and not others - I understand the reasons why we do, but can also see why the writer highlights it.

just a point, why would you consider cautioning a GK for taking more than 6 seconds to release the ball @Will Triffitt? While the ball is in his hands it's in play so he can't be penalised for delaying the restart!
I didn't say I would. I said that I would tell them to hurry up and that I have never cautioned a keeper for taking longer than 6 seconds...
Maybe it is to do with laws which are 'more well known' yet 6 second rule for a goal kick is well known. However, I've never cautioned a GK for taking more than 6 seconds, I may tell them to hurry up though.

Reactions: es1
Why? They committed the foul, why shouldn't they suffer the consequences?
I'm not giving them a load of time. Once the wall is ready, normally the defence is. If not, I give them until I get into position then we start. Normally a player has made a foul, not the team...

Back