A&H

Flamini's tackle

red or yellow

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Of course it can. But how often do you see a leg being broken in a completely fair challenge compared with the numbers you see from either two feet being used or a foot at shin height... Think about it for a minute from a different perspective. As a player, would you want someone coming in at you like this? No chance. As referees, it's our job to protect the players as well as ensuring the game is played within the confines of the laws. If I was in a situation where someone went in like this, red all day long.

The Referee Store
I just can't subscribe to the idea that this tackle has put the opponent in any more danger than a standard late YC challenge.
Looks ugly as sin, but I just don't see how the opponent is getting injured from the distance he's at
If the opponent had put a foot forward - say, kicked the ball - then the full weight of the defender would be landing right on his ankle.

Reactions: SM
Flamini has no control over what happens in that challenge. If the other player didn't have the sense of self preservation not to put a foot in, it's an ankle breaker which flamini can do nothing about as he is fully committed.

Of course he could have done something about it.... Not doing it in the first place!

Of course it can. But how often do you see a leg being broken in a completely fair challenge compared with the numbers you see from either two feet being used or a foot at shin height... Think about it for a minute from a different perspective. As a player, would you want someone coming in at you like this? No chance. As referees, it's our job to protect the players as well as ensuring the game is played within the confines of the laws. If I was in a situation where someone went in like this, red all day long.

I can't think of a single high profile leg break from a 2 footed challenge

Okay, take one foot away and imagine Gosling didn't get out of the way, possible femur break,

Bring that other foot back without Gosling jumping out of the way, almost certain femur break! It's dangerous and should not be tolerated.

I genuinely can not understand how some of you think this is okay!! It worries me that referees see this as okay! I still play a lot of football and I dread to think I'd get a referee on match day that would tolerate this sort of challenge.

Crikey, the refs in my Sunday League wouldn't even be cautioning half the time, and those that did prob wouldn't send them in

That's a worry. I can't possibly imagine how that wouldn't be at least a caution. I can understand yellow over read, but not at least yellow? Surely nobody would seriously think so..

That's a worry. I can't possibly imagine how that wouldn't be at least a caution. I can understand yellow over read, but not at least yellow? Surely nobody would seriously think so..

The contempt I hold for my fellow Sunday league refs can't be expressed without some choice langauge.
I think about 3 on the whole league send cards in. I have personally informed county when I've heard one ref informing a team he wasn't sending them in.

Deucex, I've found a few videos and news articles online in leagues overseas, but none in the recent history of the PL. that being said, my search was just "two footed broken leg". After seeing some of the videos, there are some gruesome ones where a second leg followed but was not positioned like Flaminis. One that particularly made me squeamish was a two footed challenge at the shins of Ronaldinho a few years back. He was lucky to walk away. There are plenty of articles about two footed leg breakers in the lower leagues, particularly a recent one in Manchester where the player was actually jailed. So, I'll give you that - there's not been any in recent times. But, that doesn't mean to say we should be lenient on it.

Again, it's your interpretation of the law. My interpretation of going in two footed straight away is excessive force, regardless of whether the ball has been one, a defender moves out of the way or whatever. If a player goes in two footed on one of my games where there is a RISK of injury, he walks. I personally will not tolerate that. I've seen someone have a leg broken after a horror challenge on three occasions, one of them being two-footed. It's not nice at all.

Im going round in circles here I think. This subject will always come down to a referees tolerance, interpretation and experience. All I ask anyone from a players point of view is "protect us". From a referees point of view, take a stance against it. My views are clear as above, it shouldn't be tolerated. But, that is my opinion :)

I don't think even cotton wall can protect someone against a horror two-footer Padders, as durable as that material is.

Players need protecting and they need to be safe. They can't be protected from these challenges by the referee, but the referee can certainly have an impact on the game by taking a zero-tolerance approach to dangerous challenges.

Just to reiterate I consider this an orange challenge.
I'd back a ref for either card. I just think Kevin Friend was getting hammered by tits like KH and GP when much more obvious things go unpunished every week.

We need to move away from the notion that two footed = red card. It is perfectly possible to make a fair challenge having gone in two footed.

I personally would have gone for the RC here, in my opinion Flamini isn't in control and the challenge is committed with excessive force. To me, this is all about interpretation and falls into the orange category; I wouldn't be too critical of the ref whether they went red or yellow in this situation.

This talk about 'how many broken legs' is a little pointless - there are hundreds of regular tackles each game, versus less than a handful of 2 footed tackles a month. So even if a 2 footed tackle is much more likely to injure somebody, it may still happen less often than a normal tackle - which is rare enough.
Protect you? Or wrap you in cotton wool?
I'm assuming you at least think it's a caution Padfoot. Why not a red?

I'm choosing to believe he was trolling. I can't imagine the possibility of a referee not considering it a fk + a caution as a minimum. No FK? That would be concerning beyond belief if you don't even think it's PIADM

Reactions: DB
Two yellows - one for each foot.

"Excessive force" is just linguistic nonsense. You need a recognised standard of adequate but not excessive force in order to judge what is excessive. It was always a nonsense when they introduced the wording "careless, reckless or with excessive force" (is it not a foul if you carefully kick an opponent?) but then someone had the not too bright idea to make them the criteria for no card, yellow and red. Pundits (and Hackett) may be justified in that "reckless" to most people sounds worse than "with excessive force". It's the same with "gaining an advantage" - still in law 11 from when it meant something different but readily understandable compared to the limited technical meaning now.

Back