A&H

Fitness plan help needed!

Rebecca Farley

Level 9 Referee
I am in need of and fitness plan to not only improve my refereeing but just day to day life. The only problem is that i don't know where to start - i love to exercise its just i need to be pointed into the right direction of exercises i can do and when and how long e.c.t
I thank you for your advise and help

Last edited:
The Referee Store
You're 14 Rebecca, you shouldn't take nutrition advice on the internet, and nobody here should try to advice you. Not trying to be patronising here, but the consequences of a bad diet on your body at that age can be dramatic.

I think you should ask your doctor or a nutritionist :)

Yeah i understand what you are saying i am unable to speak to a nutritionist and it is unlikely i will be able to speak to my doctor about it. I am just curious about recipes that i could have for lunches, dinner or breakfast for example as i eat an appalling diet at the moment and i just want pointers into the right direction.

As touched on above, the guidance most would point to on here or advise might well not be appropriate for a young teenager.

First of all though, well done on actually caring about this stuff!

Best bet would be to chat to your RDO at your county (chances are they have someone designated for this sort of thing), and then a GP / nutritionist / suitable qualified fitness professional.

If you've already recognised you have an 'appalling diet' then that is half the battle won though!

rubbish on the whole 'not appropriate for a young teenager' - lets remember there are professional athletes at tender ages of 15/16 *cough* the mighty Reece Oxford *cough* that follow strict diet plans etc.

that being said Rebecca, I don't think a 'diet' plan is what is required ... go old school on it - have a cereal/porridge breakfast every morning, a sandwich with a piece of fruit for lunch and a healthy portioned dinner. one thing I've also done is cut fizzy drinks out of my diet completely (besides beer! (something I hope you wont need to worry about ha-ha)) just drinking water will make you feel a lot healthier inside.

besides this basic food plan, make sure you keep your fitness up - again nothing too drastic, a simple 3 - 4 mile run 3/4 times a week will increase your fitness ten-fold! and at your age 3 - 4 miles is ample, as you get older and reach 16/17 etc. you should be able to push a 5-6 mile run 3 to 4 times weekly.

swimming is also a great exercise, get down to your local swimming bath! ask a lifeguard how many 'lengths' make a mile ... and then try to swim a mile ;-)

Long distance running is okay, but for refereeing and football not really going to help you.

It's better than what a lot of referee's do mind!

Back