A&H

First time appointed AR. Etiquette, expectations, questions.

xhemal

Level 7 Referee
I have been appointed my first game as an AR on MOAS. (not my first ever game, referred a few years back and getting back into it. have done the line for my brothers youth team a few years back) It is a cup game where one team is a hellenic premier team

Can anyone let me know anything they think would be important? (so i don’t look like a muppet). such as when should i get there, what should i wear pre game, what should i put in my kit bag etc.

And what sort of things should i expect?

Any help is appreciated

The Referee Store
I have been appointed my first game as an AR on MOAS. (not my first ever game, referred a few years back and getting back into it. have done the line for my brothers youth team a few years back) It is a cup game where one team is a hellenic premier team

Can anyone let me know anything they think would be important? (so i don’t look like a muppet). such as when should i get there, what should i wear pre game, what should i put in my kit bag etc.

Any help is appreciated
When to arrive, and what to wear will likely fall down to the referee who should advise in his prematch contact ahead of the game

That said expect 60-90 minutes before and currently the expectations are tracksuit. Regionally variations may apply for cup games so it might be suit and boot.

You should carry everything with you that you normally would.

You should expect a game of football.

Any help is appreciated

In addition to what James has said, referee (depending on his professionalism level) will conduct pre-match instructions. 80% of what's said is always the same but they do vary from ref to ref in places so listen carefully. Chances are he'll probably be telling you things like 'if there's a penalty shout, look and see what I'm doing first. If I want your assistance you'll see me looking at you, if I say no, please don't come in as it will ruin our credibility'.

Don't be afraid to tell your referee that you're relatively new on the line - there are slightly different duties for each line and they will appreciate knowing that you should be given the lighter workload, and also that you'll need the "full" pre-match briefing. There's no harm in them knowing, although I wouldn't advertise the fact more widely than that if you can help it!

Agree with the majority that a smart tracksuit is the norm for arrival currently. Pack your bag as if you were refereeing the match - the referee may expect you to take notes on cards/goals as if you were in the middle, and on the off chance the other AR is also new to the line/doesn't turn up and the ref gets injured, you may even be called on to step into the middle, so will need your usual whistles and cards for that.

In terms of what to expect, the only thing I'd add is that you need to be aware that your role is to assist the ref. Unlike being in the middle, you'll need to get used to taking the ref's lead - if he makes a confident and quick signal for a throw/corner/gk that you think is wrong, it's often better to simply reinforce that signal rather than contradict him and cause an issue. Some referees will use "penguin flipper" or "downstairs" signals to softly indicate which direction to flag, or will expect you to do the same before signalling, so keep an eye out for that.

And that principal goes further as well. A ref might have a really weird way of doing things, or choose to run right backs, or split who notes what based on the angle of the sun. Even if you think it's weird or counter-productive, it's their game to run how they like.

And that principal goes further as well. A ref might have a really weird way of doing things, or choose to run right backs, or split who notes what based on the angle of the sun. Even if you think it's weird or counter-productive, it's their game to run how they like.

I can't think of an acceptable excuse for this 😆

I did it once as a referee at the request of the home club as their lines were in a pretty poor state of repair. I will never, ever do it again. I was all over the shop.

I can't think of an acceptable excuse for this 😆

I did it once as a referee at the request of the home club as their lines were in a pretty poor state of repair. I will never, ever do it again. I was all over the shop.
I've had to do it before and I still hadn't figured it out by the end of the game.

It's Even worse as an AR.

Lead to believe some refs changed half way through a game and there really is no conceivable reason for this.

I've run a couple of LB lines that were so boggy or slippy or uneven that I wish we'd just switched. My ongoing ankle issues come directly from running a line that just had a hole at the end - only about 20cm deep, but big enough that I jarred my ankle, damaged the ligaments and have had issues ever since. Wish we'd run RBs that day!

That said expect 60-90 minutes before and currently the expectations are tracksuit. Regionally variations may apply for cup games so it might be suit and boot.
Worst case scenario where the referee doesn't make contact... what kind of tracksuit would be correct? i.e. would I be expected to have the Nike referee tracksuit? Or will just simple black tracksuit bottoms and jacket do?

Worst case scenario where the referee doesn't make contact... what kind of tracksuit would be correct? i.e. would I be expected to have the Nike referee tracksuit? Or will just simple black tracksuit bottoms and jacket do?
The official guidance is 'smart tracksuit'. So not the sort you'd be lounging around the house in, but the sort that makes you appear ready to officiate on a match.

If you’ve got the Nike (FA) tracksuit then wear it. If not - smart tracksuit is usually considered appropriate.

If you’ve got the Nike (FA) tracksuit then wear it. If not - smart tracksuit is usually considered appropriate.
I'm guessing it's a good idea to invest in this soon (at least the jacket). Where is the best place to get one, as the farefereestore doesn't have it in stock

I'm guessing it's a good idea to invest in this soon (at least the jacket). Where is the best place to get one, as the farefereestore doesn't have it in stock
Look around to find cheapest. I find newitts often are.
Kitlocker, ref stop, a&h also stock it.

Back