A&H

Open Age First game

adams09

Level 7 Referee
So I've been refereeing for 4 years now from U11-U18 football. Next weekend however I have my first open age game, and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for match/player control?

I'm 18 so near enough all players will be older than me, and I'm slightly worried about getting them to listen to me.

Thanks

The Referee Store
I'll probably get shouted at for this but I'd go for the card happy approach first to control the players, the first YC is the one players will go off for future reference, be strong minded and don't take any BS, they give it and card 'em. I'm 17 myself and most senior players know the young en's are often the strict b*****ds (I've been called that, £10 out the window the player). Just be confident but not ****y, don't look hesitant if you can help it and use the captains with player issues where posible, if the first tackle is a horrid one get the cards out, don't go giving bollockings out as you'll soon find that an absolutely horrific challenge will come in that players expect yellow for. You'll find that if you be a strict git your name will go around and before you know it players won't give you any s**t at all (or very little of it anyway)
Most importantly! Enjoy it!

Thank you, I was thinking about cards for things such as descent or bad tackles. But general flow of the game and minor fouls I'm just thinking lots of verbal communication and let all players know I'm not phased by the game.

its a dangerous game to play going heavy with the cards :) all I am saying...

I'm 29 and not had a get out the cards out yet in my games. I've come close though.

Just be confident and players will feed off that and respect it irrespective of their age

Right as soon I passed the course I was card heavy especially for faal and dissent but over my 3 seasons I'm starting to learn when a player usually gives us abuse what we don't realize is that it frustration but dissent you do punish is when they come up in your face that is mostly the dissent you punish and also if you can start managing players by talking to them tell them to think about there tackles and also if don't already yell out your decision and point your arm with that decision it works best and it tells everyone that your confident

My advice? Don't have any preconceptions about the game. Just go into it like you would any other. Be confident in your decisions, and enjoy the game. Let us know how you get on

My advice? Don't have any preconceptions about the game. Just go into it like you would any other. Be confident in your decisions, and enjoy the game. Let us know how you get on

I couldn't have said it any better.

putting my player's hat on for a second, there's nothing more frustrating than the type of young & inexperienced referee Aled describes.

players are always going to try and pull the wool over your eyes, so you have to be strong and confident in your decisions. do your best to take up good positions. but overuse of cards can often raise the "temperature" of a game unnecessarily. don't forget, if you choose to card someone it's going to cost them in the pocket.

just my opinion as a player.

As a young referee in OA myself I would completely disagree with Aled's approach.

Players want a fair referee who will let them play and manage a game through communication. Start it before the game, chat to managers players from arrival right through to kick off. On the pitch learn names and use them, first bad tackle or sign of dissent, if not quite deserving of a card get the skipper in, have a public warning and 'cut the grass'. Players know the line is there and anymore is in. They push it cards come out, but decent communication could prevent it.

I'm averaging maybe 2 yellows a game in OA and had none in my first 3 games. Attempt to mange the situation before reaching for the pocket and try and give the players chance to play a bit, after all that is why most of them are there!

Last edited:
'don't forget, if you choose to card someone it's going to cost them in the pocket'

cost surely has no place in deciding whether to caution a player or not

could be a good money making scheme, too.

'give us a fiver and i won't book you'

that doesn't promote the integrity of the game.

all i'm saying is, in line with what several others have said above, there are mandatory cards and there are cards that are open to interpretation. at recreational level, i personally feel it's best to try and manage situations rather than use cards as the medium for maintaining control.

Back