A&H

Junior/Youth First game(s)

IbrahimB

Aging Newbie
Level 8 Referee
I've got two U13 games as a middle tomorrow, kinda nervous haha 😄 Just wondering what you guys do before a game, and specifically what you did before your first game. These are my first games so any tips or tricks would be much appreciated 🙃

The Referee Store
I've got two U13 games as a middle tomorrow, kinda nervous haha 😄 Just wondering what you guys do before a game, and specifically what you did before your first game. These are my first games so any tips or tricks would be much appreciated 🙃
Welcome mate! Good luck for your first 2 games!

For me, I just acted confident and stuck to my guns on my decisions. Don't take any grief from them and if needs be don't be afraid to use cards. That's one thing that I really struggled with initially last season when I started as I thought too much like a player as opposed to the man in the middle. Other than that, go out and enjoy yourself!

Welcome mate! Good luck for your first 2 games!

For me, I just acted confident and stuck to my guns on my decisions. Don't take any grief from them and if needs be don't be afraid to use cards. That's one thing that I really struggled with initially last season when I started as I thought too much like a player as opposed to the man in the middle. Other than that, go out and enjoy yourself!
Thanks :) Just wondering, is there anything you would you change your card for at this age? Like I'm not sure whether to give someone a card for delaying the restart at this age...

Thanks :) Just wondering, is there anything you would you change your card for at this age? Like I'm not sure whether to give someone a card for delaying the restart at this age...
Be more reasonable is all I’ll say.

At 13 a lot of players have generally learnt, and will know what they’re doing, but they are potentially more receptive to a quiet word or a rebuke as opposed to just a card off the bat.

Violent Conduct, Offensive/Insulting/Abusive Language should most certainly be properly sanctioned in the unlikely situation it occurs!

Your common sense will guide you if a situation does arise, but generally make the most of the experience!

Good luck - let us know how it goes

Be more reasonable is all I’ll say.

At 13 a lot of players have generally learnt, and will know what they’re doing, but they are potentially more receptive to a quiet word or a rebuke as opposed to just a card off the bat.

Violent Conduct, Offensive/Insulting/Abusive Language should most certainly be properly sanctioned in the unlikely situation it occurs!

Your common sense will guide you if a situation does arise, but generally make the most of the experience!

Good luck - let us know how it goes
Appreciate the advice, will do!

Good luck mate. My advice would be to keep it professional and look as confident as you can. Get there nice and early, suggest 45mins before kick off at that age. Look the part - so shirt tucked in, socks up. Big loud whistle to get the captains together, and you’re away.

Firstly, smile and enjoy it.

You’ve seen other referees, you know how it’s done. You know how they point, signal, look, act, and carry themselves.

Believe in yourself. If you say it’s a throw one way, or a corner, or a foul… it IS.

Give decision, signal, like it’s the most obvious thing in the world. Move into position for the restart and be ready for the next thing.

You’re there on merit, and you are in a position of authority. If someone crosses the line, let them know how and why, and deal with it with the confidence that you’re correct and will be supported.

Ten minutes after full-time you’ll have such a buzz from having done it.

Firstly, smile and enjoy it.

You’ve seen other referees, you know how it’s done. You know how they point, signal, look, act, and carry themselves.

Believe in yourself. If you say it’s a throw one way, or a corner, or a foul… it IS.

Give decision, signal, like it’s the most obvious thing in the world. Move into position for the restart and be ready for the next thing.

You’re there on merit, and you are in a position of authority. If someone crosses the line, let them know how and why, and deal with it with the confidence that you’re correct and will be supported.

Ten minutes after full-time you’ll have such a buzz from having done it.
Spot on.

Thanks for everyone's help, nervous but also very excited for tomorrow! I qualified in February 2022 so it's been quite the wait 🤣

I mentored a young ref on his first game earlier today. The last bit of advice I have him was when you whistle for the captains in and for the start of the game, really go for it. Don't be afraid of blowing it too loud as there's nothing worse than blowing it too softly. Act confident even if you don't feel it. When others think you are in control the rest comes more easily.

Last edited:
Finished the games, both quite different. First game finished 1-1, felt quite weird and awkward at first in regards to warming up, finding a place to store my bag, managed to put them on the parents side 🤣 One of the CAR's flagged for everything in the world, so I had to try manage it, parents weren't that happy but oh well 😅 Missed a potential VC red card off the ball, complete other side of the pitch, so that stuff happens 🤷🏾‍♂️

Second game was 8-2, with the score being 6-2 at half time 😭 Some cracking goals, and an easier game to ref with the sun out. Pitch was an absolute state because it was a council pitch, but a parent managed to remove the water with a bucket 🤣 £70 secured for the two, no issues with payment, we move onto next week 🙃 Also you were right, because its been about 10 minutes and I am buzzing 😉

Finished the games, both quite different. First game finished 1-1, felt quite weird and awkward at first in regards to warming up, finding a place to store my bag, managed to put them on the parents side 🤣 One of the CAR's flagged for everything in the world, so I had to try manage it, parents weren't that happy but oh well 😅 Missed a potential VC red card off the ball, complete other side of the pitch, so that stuff happens 🤷🏾‍♂️

Second game was 8-2, with the score being 6-2 at half time 😭 Some cracking goals, and an easier game to ref with the sun out. Pitch was an absolute state because it was a council pitch, but a parent managed to remove the water with a bucket 🤣 £70 secured for the two, no issues with payment, we move onto next week 🙃 Also you were right, because its been about 10 minutes and I am buzzing 😉

Sound like you’ve had some good games. Don’t worry too much about missing things you haven’t seen, just use it as experience to guide your positioning etc. If appeals are extremely obvious and vehement it can be a good idea to speak to an AR, even if they are a CAR if you think you’ve missed something serious - even if the chat is just for show to appease players. It’s also usually a good idea, if you didn’t already do this, to have a good chat with CARs before a game and brief them on what you would like them to flag for.

I remember my first game a few years ago and it does feel awkward, but to everyone else there you are just another ref. At the beginning I found it easier to imagine that when I was reffing a game I adopted a new persona of ‘the ref’, though now I’m a bit more experienced in developing my own style and confidence. In terms of where to put your bag, when I’m on a local park or council pitch I often put it between the two teams in line with the centre of the pitch, though really you just need to put it somewhere that is safe enough.

Well done on your first games, and good luck in the many more that follow.

Sound like you’ve had some good games. Don’t worry too much about missing things you haven’t seen, just use it as experience to guide your positioning etc. If appeals are extremely obvious and vehement it can be a good idea to speak to an AR, even if they are a CAR if you think you’ve missed something serious - even if the chat is just for show to appease players. It’s also usually a good idea, if you didn’t already do this, to have a good chat with CARs before a game and brief them on what you would like them to flag for.

I remember my first game a few years ago and it does feel awkward, but to everyone else there you are just another ref. At the beginning I found it easier to imagine that when I was reffing a game I adopted a new persona of ‘the ref’, though now I’m a bit more experienced in developing my own style and confidence. In terms of where to put your bag, when I’m on a local park or council pitch I often put it between the two teams in line with the centre of the pitch, though really you just need to put it somewhere that is safe enough.

Well done on your first games, and good luck in the many more that follow.
Agree with the first paragraph, the CAR didn't see it either based on what he said from a distance. I forgot to talk to them for game 1 but learned that lesson for game 2. Also agreed on the second paragraph, nobody really was that weird towards me so started to act normal over time 😭 Thanks for your feedback, it's gonna help me loads, especially in the earlier stages :)

Back