A&H

Junior/Youth first calling off for me

richard ramjane

RefChat Addict
Wasnt expecting to call off a game in decent weather on a 4G pitch.
However, myself and both teams arrived at the ground in plenty of time (1-45 for a 2-30 KO), and watched the second half of the game that was on before us, an U17 game. Last 20 minutes and a player goes down, not under any challenge, but clearly in distress. Two players get him over to the nearest touchline to him, which was the far one to us and the game continues. This team were now down to 9 men having started with 10, oh and they were 7-0 down too.
His dad went over to see to him, and was straight on his mobile, which we (correctly) assumed he was phoning an ambulance. Game concludes, ref disappears, stripe team disappear leaving a couple dads/players/manager of white team hanging around.
its nearly 2-30 now and i tell both managers of my game that we cannot kick off until the player is moved, as he was literally on the touchline with not a lot of room between him and the perimiter fence. Please keep your players ticking over etc....
One manager was suggesting that we pick him up and get him over to the o ther side of the pitch where there is a fence he can be behind, or put cones around him (??!) Ambulance service has requested he not be moved.
3-15 and i call it off as still no sign of the ambulance.
couple things upset me over this;
1. why didnt the referee stop the game as the player was literally on the touchline
2. the managers attitude to getting our game under way... move him... cone him off... put a six a side goal round him... seriously ??? !
having said that for the most part the spectators were very patient and sympathetic

The Referee Store
Did they call an ambulance? Do the league rules say to replay the game for abandoned matches? If the player is off the FOP ref may have opted to continue rather then having to play the match again and getting grief from the winning team?

Did they call an ambulance? Do the league rules say to replay the game for abandoned matches? If the player is off the FOP ref may have opted to continue rather then having to play the match again and getting grief from the winning team?

yes , the ambulance was called , but was showing no signs of imminent arrival. and yes he was barely off the FOP... he was close enough to the touchline for me to consider it a hazard to his health if we cracked on with our game.

Safety of the players your primary concern, correct call you gave it an hour for the ambulance to arrive, can understand the frustrations of both teams, however if it was one of their players would they be wanting him moved under such distress? As you said why didn't the first ref abandon his game?

Back