A&H

Explaining decisions to manager

LC

Level 6 Referee
Whenever I have been on the dugout side while running the line I always get managers asking/moaning about a foul being given.

Normally I would explain to them why it has been given, however on some occasions a situation has happened where the ref has given a soft free kick for a push. The manager has asked me why it has been given. I would then tell them it was a push just to justify the referees decision even though I didn't agree with it. But then 10 seconds later the other team do exactly the same thing but the ref does not give a foul. I would then have the manager moaning at me asking why that one wasn't a foul.

What does everyone recommend? Should I continue explaining decisions or should I keep my mouth shut when a foul is given?

The Referee Store
Never explain a foul, it's too subjective, you don't want to speak for the ref and you don't want the manager to say to his face "See ! Your assistant agree with me !", just keep your mouth shut. The only times you can speak and explain a decision is if it's purely technical

Don't bother, ignore him and get on with your job. If you drop your concentration for a minute to explain to a manager you could miss something very important

I was told to agree with everything the manager is saying and then turn around and give them a look as if to say "this is the biggest waste of your time you could possibly imagine"

I tend to just introduce myself before kick off to both dugouts. If they ask, if I can get the opportunity to, I'll say why I think the referee gave something, if not I'll just say haven't a clue I'll ask him for you, or if it's when we're in a similar position just say I've got the same view as you mate.

Always be honest, don't BS.

As an old work colleague used to say to me 'say nothing, deny everything, admit zero'

If it's that important they will ask the ref at half/full time and he decides if he wants to answer and what that answer is if so.

Typically, it's only that important if it's a controversial throw-in near the halfway line that changes possession almost immediately and then promptly goes back out of play...

Most of the L4 refs I've assisted for have included these scenarios in their pre match.

Tell them to speak with me (the referee) as I don't want you getting shi* for my decisions.

Hasn't let me down yet.
If I've not had that instruction, my reply is I was concentrating on the 2nd to last defender mate, sorry.

Reactions: SM
dont say give me a minute i will just nip onto the field and ask him i did that once, oops not a good result lol

Personally I think referees are a bit too fussy about this - why not talk to the manager? As long as you do it in a way that doesn't interfere with your job - if it helps build rapport, then great. It depends on the level - you reach a level where you know they just want to argue (I don't think any of the EPL managers are actually interested in an explanation, do you?), but with experience it can be an effective way to build rapport which can be good for control. And especially if you're in an area where you're going to ref the same bunch of local teams a lot, then it can help build a good relationship. Especially grassroots type stuff, particularly low level I find it can be really helpful.

But yeah - sometimes the ref gets it wrong, or you've got no idea why it was given. 'I've got the same view of it as you do, I can't see it from here, he would have spotted something from his side that we can't see' is normally sufficient for that sort of thing.

Although if you're trying to move up through the ranks then I suppose you need to consider that others won't necessarily consider it a good look.....

Back