RefLive

Everybodys favourite martyr..

Discussion in 'General Refereeing Chat' started by Padfoot, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Padfoot

Padfoot The Enlightened One

Is at it again.....
    Ryan Hampson has been charged by the FA for wearing a body cam during a recent match......and has started a petition against it!

No doubt we will see RefSupport finance his case and promote how hard done by he is.....

Oh, and he claims he wore it for "self protection"!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. RefLive Advertisement RefLive

RefLive
  4. Sheffields Finest

Sheffields Finest Happily minding that Gap

County FA/Organisation:
    Non-affiliated
    alexgr likes this.
  5. Tino Best

Tino Best Well-Known Member Level 7 Referee

County FA/Organisation:
    Suffolk FA
    SFs right. The idea of refs having body cams is a good idea, and one I thought the FA were starting to consider, slowly, but at the moment it is not allowed, there could be a safety reason for the one he used not being suitable and there are no guidelines yet for this equipment. It does feel that Ryan is using reffing for his own reasons to become well known to the press rather than become well known from being an excellent ref like the top ones in the premier league. I also think that this will come back and bite him in the a***. He will certainly be a marked man all through his career and if he wants to progress his past actions won't be looked upon kindly by the FA. I think he is doing the right thing but for the wrong reasons.

Mooseybaby, alexgr and Justylove like this.
  6. Justylove

Justylove Well-Known Member Level 6 Referee

County FA/Organisation:
    Hampshire
    Think it's a bit of both.

I've never been subjected to an assault on the football field, however at Parks level it's a lonely place and there are times when I've felt a little vulnerable.

In general I'm in favour of using technology to assist right up and down the game, however there are some practicalities around the use of body cams, the capturing of the video and subsequent storage of it etc that need to be fully considered.

My issue with Ryan is that he has this feeling that he has a right to do exactly what he wants as part of his personal crusade, without any thought of the consequences.

I see from his Twitter profile he's doing 5-4 this season, anyone think he'll get promoted?

7. Sheffields Finest

Sheffields Finest Happily minding that Gap

County FA/Organisation:
    Non-affiliated
    I have been subjected to 2-3 attempted assaults, (nothing ever physically connected punch wise), but, being a big lad, I've also gone nose to nose with a few bruisers too, some real tough cookies. Had I of had a Cam on i'm sure, them knowing that, that things may of been different, maybe wouldn't stop the worst cases but I'm sure it would help in certain situations as The Police videos clearly show on TV!!

This lad though intrigues me, he reminds me of a Big Brother House wannabe, he seems desperate to have his voice heard, not saying he's wrong but there are ways of going about change!!!

8. Mintyref

Mintyref Well-Known Member Level 6 Referee

County FA/Organisation:
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Load of tosh! If the FA would crack down on dissent and aggression in the professional game there'd be a lot less at grass roots too.
    The day I have to wear a body camera is the day I hang up my whistle!

Scratch that, I forgot, I've already retired............

Charlie Jones and alexgr like this.
  9. RustyRef

RustyRef Moderator Staff Member

He asked for permission and it was denied. He then did a videoed interview saying that he knew it wasn't allowed and that he faced suspension, but that he was going to do it anyway.

Yet not here we are with him crying foul that he has been charged. The only sympathy I have with him is that I suspect he is being manipulated and used as a puppet of Ref Support UK. People have pointed this out to him though, so if he chooses to continue to be their poster boy he only has himself to blame.

10. RefJef

RefJef Well-Known Member Level 7 Referee

County FA/Organisation:
    Somerset
    Going off on a tangent a little, I would like to wear a ref-cam, but not as means to gather evidence against wrong doers, but to help me develop my own game.

One of my big frustrations as a lone wolf roaming the plains of grass roots football is that I get no impartial feedback as to how I'm doing.

To be able to film the game from my perspective and watch it back again in the comfort of my own home would, I think, be beneficial.

11. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member Level 4 Referee

County FA/Organisation:
    Cheshire
    Filming your game is not entirely impossible. You could get someone to come and film the game for you. Obviously this would not give you a view from your perspective as such but you can at least watch back and learn from it. Been lucky once or twice to have games filmed. Nice to watch back and validate KMIs etc.

12. RefJef

RefJef Well-Known Member Level 7 Referee

County FA/Organisation:
    Somerset
    But 99 times out of a 100 this ain't gonna happen, it's me on my lonesome. All my friends & family are far to sensible than to trudge out into the cold and wet to watch or film me!

I have been lucky enough to be filmed a few times when refereeing some school games, it is really useful to be able to watch back and learn (and also a nice confidence booster to see that I am mostly right most of the time!)

I think as a potential tool for referee development, ref cams are a relatively cheap and widely available solution.

JamesL likes this.
  13. JamesL

County FA/Organisation:
    Cheshire
    I agree to a certain extent.

Obviously there are means and ways to approach such subjects.

I do feel that mr hampson is approaching this in completely the wrong manner, this may or may not be puppeteered by ref support.

I mean for starters his gripes regarding bodycams are with the wrong organisation. At present the lotg do not allow any other electronic devices other than communication and fitness tracking. So the FA are essentially powerless to sanction bodycams until ifab agree it in law. Currently all other items are prohibited so the fa cant give the go ahead without ifab / fifa approvals.

Additionally as I alluded to above there is nothing to stop Mr Hampson, with any neccessary consent of course, filming his games by other means giving him the same protection as a body cam would.

I get a feeling that Ref support and Ryan feel they are above the laws of the game when in fact they are on a level footing with any player that violates any aspect of law 4.

I am an advocate of any reasonable action to protect referees, and i am sure there is well meaning somewhere deeply seated in these actions, however whoever is steering this ship is allowing it to damage Ryans refereeing career prospects and he is seemingly willing to allow that to happen.

14. Brian Hamilton

Brian Hamilton I am the storm Observer/Tutor

I think I fixed that for you

Padfoot likes this.
  15. forest96

forest96 Well-Known Member Level 4 Referee

County FA/Organisation:
    FA
    Not if he gets suspended he won't.

Justylove likes this.
  16. xPositor

xPositor Well-Known Member Level 7 Referee

County FA/Organisation:
    Sussex
    Perhaps he should invest in an auto-follow drone, such as AirDog (others are available). That way he wouldn't be breaking the LotG, and presumably the types of games he's doing wouldn't be considered a large crowd for the purposes of drone licensing (so probably only subject to bye laws on the land the games are being played).

17. PinnerPaul

PinnerPaul Well-Known Member Level 7 Referee

County FA/Organisation:
    Middlesex
    Exactly - if he actually asked & permission was refused, that makes the 'offence' even worse.

Its like saying we should be allowed to swear at players or wear jewellery, its not allowed so why then break the 'rules' and THEN start a campaign to get them changed?

Nothing wrong with advocating their use without actually using one - although I think there are more important things to focus on when refereeing - but agree with others, does seem like attention seeking to me.

18. JamesL

County FA/Organisation:
    Cheshire
    :eek: the price... and without GoPro.

19. Charlie Jones

Charlie Jones Work Until You Don't Have To Introduce Yourself Level 7 Referee

County FA/Organisation:
    Essex FA
    It worries me that someone as young as he is, and with a potential great career ahead of him, that he is so happy to damage his prospects.

Ryan is looking at a lengthy ban away from the game, and I'd pretty much guarantee his career as a referee is finished - as far as I see, the FA didn't want him getting any further than he is, as he is a loose cannon - so him wearing this go-pro has played right into their hands, giving them the perfect opportunity to refuse his progression.

I personally have pulled all social media links with him and ref support UK and so has our society.

Mooseybaby likes this.
  20. xPositor

xPositor Well-Known Member Level 7 Referee

County FA/Organisation:
    Sussex
    Plus the cost of at least six batteries to cover a game time-wise, never mind the pause to change them over! Pretty cool what they can do though...

21. SurreySuperRef

SurreySuperRef Member Level 6 Referee

County FA/Organisation:
    Surrey
    I support the idea of body cams, I'd like to wear one in order to learn from my mistakes and improve as a referee, as well as the safety aspect of things.

I believe it should be the referees individual choice if they want to wear one.

All that said however, if you've been denied permission, then you can't complain when the FA brings the hammer down on you. There's a way of going about things, and this wasn't the right way.

22. RustyRef

RustyRef Moderator Staff Member

I would agree. Just look at how long it took Mark Clattenburg to get the FA Cup Final. That wasn't because he wasn't the best referee in the country, but rather he didn't confirm to the expected norm and was locked out as a result.

Ryan thinks he is doing the right thing now, but in reality he is destroying any future refereeing aspirations he may hold.

Charlie Jones likes this.