A&H

European Championships 2016

Who will win Euro 2016

• Total voters
Mick Ronaldo Harford will score a hatrick of headers while smashing 20 free kicks into the crowd. Lose 4-3 with France having 3 penalties. :D

The Referee Store
Mick Ronaldo Harford will score a hatrick of headers while smashing 20 free kicks into the crowd. Lose 4-3 with France having 3 penalties. :D

Not sure why, but I really believe that he's going to be on the winning side.
If there was any justice, then France, who've delighted us with some of their football and who have class from 1 to 11 in their side should lift the trophy in front of their own fans, but I've just got a sneaky feeling that Portugal, who've just done barely enough to scrape through each test they've had will spoil the party for the French tonight. ;)

I've a French mum (sadly departed) so by rights I should be supporting Les Frogs but i've never wanted them to win anything and I don't intend to start now...Lets hope Clatts has a great game and football is the winner...

I've a French mum (sadly departed) so by rights I should be supporting Les Frogs but i've never wanted them to win anything and I don't intend to start now...Lets hope Clatts has a great game and football is the winner...
Well, I thought Clatts made a schoolboy error in giving an advantage for Payet's foul when the ball was in the Portugese half - and then Payet went in and fouled Ronaldo, with a reckless tackle, which he didn't punish (Payet played the ball but I think it was reckless).

Firstly, love Clatts, but this is a great example of why you shouldn't give advantage 60 yards from goal. And, in this tournament, this was one of many examples of the officials not whistling offences. The commentators are happy that they are "letting the game flow" but I think this is not good for lower level refs.

Reckless??? If you make it tag football then we can all go home.... Never a foul, sadly it led to injury but it was a genuine play on the ball and not the player... There was an error with the late handball free kick but at normal speed it was hard to spot...I don't remember the mistake you talk of SS..

Reckless??? If you make it tag football then we can all go home.... Never a foul, sadly it led to injury but it was a genuine play on the ball and not the player... There was an error with the late handball free kick but at normal speed it was hard to spot...I don't remember the mistake you talk of SS..
Personally, I find when refereeing that a "hard but fair" tackle that leads to injury can be incredibly difficult to tell apart from a tackle where the player gets the ball but "follows through" or uses too much force in the process.

With the benefit of slow-motion, I feel that this tackle is a really good example of the former - he's absolutely focused on the ball, contact with the opponent is only really body-to-body (as opposed to any impact with the boot) and the injury is down to nothing other than an unfortunate twist as a result of a legal impact.

I dare say you're letting the player in you rule your head.
It was 100% a foul, I could see that in real time.
After a replay I can see it also deserved a caution.
"Genuine play on the ball" means nothing in the laws

I dare say you're letting the player in you rule your head.
It was 100% a foul, I could see that in real time.
After a replay I can see it also deserved a caution.
"Genuine play on the ball" means nothing in the laws

Guess that's why we love football so much, its all opinions, even on here!

I'm with Graeme and (and Mark C) on this one - sometimes there has to be contact after a legal challenge - this one defines "strong but fair challenge" to me.

If anything, I think YOU may be straying into players mindset - if someone gets hurt it has to be a yellow at least - sure we've all had that on a Sunday morning after a player goes down.

Ronaldo didn't injure himself in a freak accident. It wasn't "the way he fell".
An opponent's knee was driven into his planted leg and bent it a way it wasn't meant to bend.
That's not careless by Payet?
But then I guess there are those that think the lunge that broke Luke Shaw's leg wasn't a foul so........

So, how did the teams compare to their FIFA rankings?

Not very well. I did some statistical analysis and it turns out that there was no significant correlation between a side's FIFA ranking and where they finished in the tournament. (Which goes some way to explain my poor showing in my predictor league!)

If you want more details about what I did, and how I came to my conclusion, I wrote a blog post about it here: http://www.amathsteacherwrites.co.uk/ranking-the-rankings/

So, how did the teams compare to their FIFA rankings?

Not very well. I did some statistical analysis and it turns out that there was no significant correlation between a side's FIFA ranking and where they finished in the tournament. (Which goes some way to explain my poor showing in my predictor league!)

If you want more details about what I did, and how I came to my conclusion, I wrote a blog post about it here: http://www.amathsteacherwrites.co.uk/ranking-the-rankings/

I'll give you a lesson if you like? I smashed our work league! 1st out of 53 and £125 to take home!

Nice return in the absence of reffing funds!

Never a foul for me, I must have missed the memo that said no contact is allowed in football any more ...

Never a foul for me, I must have missed the memo that said no contact is allowed in football any more ...

ah, the ol' "it's a contact sport, ref". The battle cry of the player who has just shoulder barged a player into next week.
You haven't missed a memo, but you missed Law 12. Give it a read, fascinating it is.
If you want a full contact sport I highly recommend rugby.

Guess that's why we love football so much, its all opinions, even on here!

I'm with Graeme and (and Mark C) on this one - sometimes there has to be contact after a legal challenge - this one defines "strong but fair challenge" to me.

If anything, I think YOU may be straying into players mindset - if someone gets hurt it has to be a yellow at least - sure we've all had that on a Sunday morning after a player goes down.

Why Paul, I don't see that in the laws anywhere....??? Someone can get hurt in any challenge,(hard or soft) some don't even involve contact...and I now have to book players for someone getting hurt???? Eh....Show me where it says that!!!

Why Paul, I don't see that in the laws anywhere....??? Someone can get hurt in any challenge,(hard or soft) some don't even involve contact...and I now have to book players for someone getting hurt???? Eh....Show me where it says that!!!

Correct.
I often find the only place it says that is in the "We-know-better-than-the-referee-and-after-all-it's-my-little-darling-that's-crying-so-the-ref-has to-stop-the-match" official football law book for parents. :rolleyes: ;)

I agree with you! Its either badly written (most likely!) or you have misread my post.
I was saying grassroots players and spectators automatically think we've missed something if we take no action if someone is hurt - I was saying , like you, that can happen in football without it being an offence - as in this case in my opinion.

Back