A&H

Europa League

micky2001

Just in from my game and switched on the Europa league final and it's is disappointing to see so many empty seats in the ground. So many fans would have wanted to go I imagine but due to excessive pricing and sponsors tickets I feel they have missed potentially the biggest match of their teams recent history.

Any opinions?

The Referee Store
first saved penalty by seville keeper should have been a retake - but referees, even at the highest level, seem happy to cop out where retakes are concerned

first saved penalty by seville keeper should have been a retake - but referees, even at the highest level, seem happy to cop out where retakes are concerned

I agree, retake should have been ordered. Btw, if the player who had been stretchered off with a minute to go couldn't continue would the other team have had to reduce their takers to 10, or would he still have had to take one?

I agree, retake should have been ordered. Btw, if the player who had been stretchered off with a minute to go couldn't continue would the other team have had to reduce their takers to 10, or would he still have had to take one?
My understanding would be that one team would have 11 penalty takers and the other would have 10.
If the penalties went as far as the 11th penalty then the team with 10 would arguable havean advantage as their 11th penalty would be taken by their best taker (his second penalty) whereas the team with 11 would still have to have their 11th player (arguably their worst taker) to take one.
Is this how it would work? (It is how I would do it...that's not to say it is the right way!)

My understanding would be that one team would have 11 penalty takers and the other would have 10.
If the penalties went as far as the 11th penalty then the team with 10 would arguable havean advantage as their 11th penalty would be taken by their best taker (his second penalty) whereas the team with 11 would still have to have their 11th player (arguably their worst taker) to take one.
Is this how it would work? (It is how I would do it...that's not to say it is the right way!)

If before KFTPM are started one team has more players than the other through sending off or not starting the game with 11 due to insufficient players, the other team reduces it's number of takers to the same as the opponents.

If however, a player is sent off DURING KFTPM, play continues and one team has more than the other.

I'm not sure about what happens if a player is injured and there are no subs and he comes off during the match.

The Laws don't differentiate the reason for teams having unequal numbers at the end of the game for the taking of kicks from the penalty mark. Therefore regardless of the reason, if the sides have unequal numbers BEFORE kicks taking place they must be equalised and only players taking part in KFTPM should be in the centre circle.

Last edited:
The Laws don't differentiate the reason for teams having unequal numbers at the end of the game for the taking of kicks from the penalty mark. Therefore regardless of the reason, if a sides have unequal numbers BEFORE kicks taking place they must be equalised and only players taking part in KFTPM should be in the centre circle.

So essentially, a player who isn't very good at PKs could claim he is injured and as long as he leaves FOP before the end of the match he doesn't have to take one?

Yep and the other side would have to nominate a player not to take one to equalise the numbers.

So essentially, a player who isn't very good at PKs could claim he is injured and as long as he leaves FOP before the end of the match he doesn't have to take one?

are you thinking what i'm thinking, micky?, England - World Cup - Penalties - i can see at least 8 players going down injured with seconds of extra time left to play :)

are you thinking what i'm thinking, micky?, England - World Cup - Penalties - i can see at least 8 players going down injured with seconds of extra time left to play :)
Surely the game would then be abandoned ;) but yeah, quite a good way to use the laws in your favour should you every get to a shootout

So what happens if a player gets injured during the penalty shoot out?
I thought He still has to continue unless he is a goalkeeper and the team have a substitute left they can make but the last point on page 137 suggests that he can go off the park and no longer take part.

Sorry, what I meant is that if he is unable to take a kkick odes that team benefir form having their players take a second penalty before the other team with a man extra, should it go to more than 10 penalties?

You are correct. If a player gets injured or sent off after the start on kicks from penalty spot, You carry on with one fewer players. It could be taken advantage of if you have a really bad pen taker... Sudden hamstring injury on the run to the penalty area....

:)

I was told if they get injured during KFPM he has to continue or it goes down as a miss... thankfully I don't referee many cup games so won't get this situation! :D (hopefully)

I was told if they get injured during KFPM he has to continue or it goes down as a miss... thankfully I don't referee many cup games so won't get this situation! :D (hopefully)

That can't be right....award a miss if he can't take it??

No. There is nothing in the laws that say this. If you suspect that a player has "sustained" an injury purely to get out of taking a penalty and thereby giving their team a better chance by getting someone to take their second earlier, there is nothing you can do about it. Apart from report it to the competition authorities. I wouldn't even think it was misconduct that you would report back to the FA.

Back