A&H

Ending the Game during promising attack

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised at the number of supporting responses on here, given how frequently 'run out the last attack' has been the unanimous response on the other forum.
What I love is that most games where I referee have a strict instruction not to add time on. In that case, yes, I will referee it to the second. I don't give a damn if the ball is in midair to the open goal. If I was going to run another couple of seconds to make it easier, then that would be cheating. Absolutely no other way to describe it. Completely unfair to the defence.
It gets a little more grey when stoppage time is applied, due to the ambiguity in the laws. Stoppage time, due to the lack of definition, is highly imprecise. Was there 30 seconds stoppage time, or roughly 30 seconds stoppage time? Is this approach a genuine reason, or an excuse for taking the easy option instead of the right one? I haven't figured out that answer, but I think the answer is somewhat complicated.
The notion of 'the final attack' is just one of many myths, but largely supported by referees as well. FIFA referees know all too well what happens to them if the violate this notion, and top-tier referees seem to universally adhere to this as well. Apparently whether it's fair to the defence isn't worth considering.

Are you suggesting that we selectively apply the LOTG in order to make things easier for ourselves?
You write that like you've never seen Jacko post. Let's just say his version of the LOTG is much thinner than the rest of ours :D:D

What's worse is you seem remarkably proud of the fact.
having integrity and a backbone seem like things to be proud of, definitely.

The Referee Store
Proud of it ? Not the words i would use......I had handshakes all round at the end including from the said forward, and both managers said i ref'd it well so i'm proud of that because i'd done my job and everybody was happy(and i didn't change anything) .. oh! it was 3-3

Added time, i don't add time. I stop my watch where necessary , my watch counts down from 45 minutes (for each half) so it will reach zero for end of half or full time. My other watch counts up.

Proud of it ? Not the words i would use......I had handshakes all round at the end including from the said forward, and both managers said i ref'd it well so i'm proud of that because i'd done my job and everybody was happy(and i didn't change anything) .. oh! it was 3-3

Being the players mate and keeping them happy is not the same as doing the job properly.......

I am not a players mate, and i never do anything to keep them happy....... apart from applying the laws of the game to the best of my ability.

I think you misread it padfoot - he said he did his job AND kept people happy, not did his job BY keeping people happy. mikedn isn't one of those refs :p

If timekeeping was black and white I would blow up on the dot.
However, there are a dozen times during a half that I could have stopped the clock but didn't as only a few seconds were wasted. In the end this easily adds up to the 10-15 seconds I will allow for a promising attack to finish.

Just to clarify the situation attacker moving forward with the ball. Defenders challenging from their penalty area with all defending team in the final third of their half.
There wasn't any obvious opportunity to score and as others have said the time was up.
I happy I blew when I did as it was a fair result for a hard fought game from both teams and I think that had I allowed play to continue and if a goal was scored and I then blew the whistle the defending team would have had as much to be annoyed about.

Just to clarify the situation attacker moving forward with the ball. Defenders challenging from their penalty area with all defending team in the final third of their half.
There wasn't any obvious opportunity to score and as others have said the time was up.
I happy I blew when I did as it was a fair result for a hard fought game from both teams and I think that had I allowed play to continue and if a goal was scored and I then blew the whistle the defending team would have had as much to be annoyed about.
Exactly.......you cannot give a team an advantage to score a goal when you know the game is at an end, by adding time on which in fact is wrong.

When do you stop your watch during a game?

Personally, I only stop it for substitutions and injuries....maybe the occasional throw in or goal/corner kick where I feel they are dragging their heels over it....and of course for disciplinary situations.....

Personally, I only stop it for substitutions and injuries....maybe the occasional throw in or goal/corner kick where I feel they are dragging their heels over it....and of course for disciplinary situations.....

Never personally unless its a really bad injury or stoppage due to weather/floodlight failure.

that's pretty much it. Maybe for a penalty kick, given they can occupy a minute or two...That's the thing, it's too vague in the laws and open to interpretation.

Same here......

If a team is attacking beyond the halfway line , at the end of stoppage time they will get the extra 5 seconds from me to either lose possession, have a shot or whatever happens ?
If anyone asks I will call "last attack" or something to that effect

Otherwise if you are intent on allowing no extra time whatsoever do it 5 secs early when the ball is neutral .

why do we want to attract negative attention for the sake of a few seconds ?

If a team is attacking beyond the halfway line , at the end of stoppage time they will get the extra 5 seconds from me to either lose possession, have a shot or whatever happens ?
If anyone asks I will call "last attack" or something to that effect

Otherwise if you are intent on allowing no extra time whatsoever do it 5 secs early when the ball is neutral .

why do we want to attract negative attention for the sake of a few seconds ?

Because we're there to facilitate a game according to the LOTG not make ourselves popular or for us to look good.

Some of us don't need to try and look good mate :cool: we let our refereeing ability do the talking. We are good. :D

Regardless of which side you come down on with this topic, it' just highlights that this is one of those ambiguous laws which is open to far more interpretation than facilitates consistency.

Because we're there to facilitate a game according to the LOTG not make ourselves popular or for us to look good.
Its got nothing to do with looking good @Padfoot its about doing the game justice and showing common sense by ending it in a neutral area .... "The 4th official has indicated there will be a...... MINIMUM.....of 3 minutes stoppage time " that very statement covers the referee to allow a promising attack to pan out ?

IMO a referee blowing the final whistle when a player is about to shoot or similar lacks a basic understanding of the game of football and displays very little common sense in doing so ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back