A&H

Ending the Game during promising attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcus Alder

Had an U16 game last week and just wanted thoughts on when I ended the game.
80mins up into added time, last 30 seconds of added time and away team mount a strong attack, home team defending well. Ball is about 25 yards from goal with attacker and defender bearing down on it. I blow the whistle to end the game.
Cue lots of "you can't do that ref, you've got to give us a chance to score, we're in the final third of the pitch" type comments
As far as I'm concerned the time is up and the game is over, should I have allowed the attacking team the opportunity to continue the attack and end the game once the attacking move ends?
Game ended in a draw which was a fair result.

The Referee Store
Time is time - be it at the bar, on the pitch or in life.

Should have pushed harder in the last 80 mins, tell you keeper not to drag his heels ya de ya.

Are they both running towards the goal, no other players in contention? Attacker possibly only having a keeper to beat if he gets to the ball first?

" ... last 30 seconds of added time ... "
  • was there time left in the game?

From the description of where the play is it isn't clear whether the attacker & defender are both running towards the goal, or if the defender is goal side of both the attacker and ball

I wouldn't recommend blowing up as a team are on the attack, especially whilst the score is level or the attacking team are a goal down.

You could have a great game for 90 mins, and they will only focus on where you ended the game. End it in a Neutral zone in the middle of the park.

Parks footie blow up quicker and keep your watch running for that extra 30 seconds...

Look after number one.

Not for me..... time is up.... blow the whistle. The ONLY exception is allowing for a penalty to be taken.

You're taking a needles risk.

How we manage things on a parks pitch is putting our own safety at risk sometimes if we are too black and white and don't manage the game.

You're taking a needles risk.

How we manage things on a parks pitch is putting our own safety at risk sometimes if we are too black and white and don't manage the game.

Are you suggesting that we selectively apply the LOTG in order to make things easier for ourselves?

I apply the laws of the game like i am supposed to, irrespective of if i piss someone off. What if it was a relegation/promotion/cup match and me "adding on 30 seconds" and giving a team an unfair advantage to win a game.... just so i don't upset someone, this is where "last weeks ref is creeping in". The ref next week isn't going to give them those extra few seconds so he will get the grief you are so anxious to avoid.

Most leagues have 12 teams so that's 22 games. Stoppage time won't win a league and the referee is the sole time keeper after all.

Last's weeks ref? I just don't want to end the game on a sour note and a bad memory before they fill in my club marks...

If it's a cup I'd play on til the end of the attack. If they score, kick off then 30 seconds and no extra time.:p

You are not really adding on 30 seconds. Football time keeping is a mystery to everyone, time is lost through players taking their sweet time all through the game. Adding a few seconds at the end is not really adding anything.

With regard to this situation; what harm is there in just waiting a few seconds for the goal to be scored, ball to go out of play, or to be cleared.

Or of course you could avoid this situation by being a little bit more on the ball and blowing before the promising attack happens. :)

So all you are worried about is your club marks, and don't want anyone moaning at you ?
I refereed a match where an attacker was on goal, keeper to beat.... i looked at my watch and 90 mins was up and i blew the whistle as he hit the ball and the keeper dived for it missed and the goal was scored..... i disallowed it because i blew the whistle. The forward said to me "Why is that not a goal?" I replied " Because time was up and you scored after i blew the whistle" He then said "Why didn't you let me shoot first?" I said " You have 90 minutes to score a goal, that time was up when i blew the whistle" He just looked at me then walked off.
Didn't bother me what he thought of me then, i applied the laws of the game(it doesn't say anywhere in them to add time on for an attack) i achieved my "goal" in doing my job properly by not circumventing the laws to please other people......

So all you are worried about is your club marks, and don't want anyone moaning at you ?
I refereed a match where attacker was on goal, keeper to beat.... i looked at my watch and 90 mins was up and i blew the whistle as he hit the ball and the keeper dived for it missed and the goal was scored..... i disallowed it because i blew the whistle. The forward said to me "Why is that not a goal?" I replied " Because time was up and you scored after i blew the whistle" He then said "Why didn't you let me shoot first?" I said

This is not how you end a game. On a different day, a referee following this approach is likely to get assaulted.

It seems you are scared to apply the laws properly in case you "might" upset someone......
As i said before i apply the Laws, yes i use common sense where necessary, but i will not change the laws for the sake of others.

I refereed a match where an attacker was on goal, keeper to beat.... i looked at my watch and 90 mins was up and i blew the whistle as he hit the ball and the keeper dived for it missed and the goal was scored..... i disallowed it because i blew the whistle. The forward said to me "Why is that not a goal?" I replied " Because time was up and you scored after i blew the whistle" He then said "Why didn't you let me shoot first?" I said " You have 90 minutes to score a goal, that time was up when i blew the whistle" He just looked at me then walked off.
Didn't bother me what he thought of me then, i applied the laws of the game(it doesn't say anywhere in them to add time on for an attack) i achieved my "goal" in doing my job properly by not circumventing the laws to please other people......

What's worse is you seem remarkably proud of the fact.

We are there to facilitate a game of football within the LOTG not apply every law to the absolute letter regardless of what's happening at any given time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back