A&H

End of season

The Referee Store
This is getting a little pointless. End of season banter should not be about cards dished out (and that stupid debate again), but highs and lows, goals for next season, what we are going to improve and how during the summer and generally supporting each other in our endeavours and hopes for next season?

Let me here an amen :D

So what does that mean, Owen?

Of course it means that I'm an excellent, top class referee who uses the highest level of man management to deal with issues before they arise ;)

Seriously though, I have just found that I haven't really needed to card. There was one game (my second ever match) where, in hindsight, I wish I had carded for dissent to nip a problem in the bud, but I would put that down to inexperience. Since then there have been the odd occasion where I've had to give a player a public dressing down for a bad tackle or something that I deemed borderline, although I have always felt that it deserved that rather than a card straight away. I have never been afraid to card, but as as always been the case, the player has calmed down after a talking to.

My views on carding youth football have been clearly aired before, but despite that I always try to use common sense rather than dishing out cards overly harshly.

Read into that as you will...

Im not in the mood for another how you should deal with cards in youth football debate, we've been there countless times and every time it doesn't seem to go anywhere, i will leave this open for now, but the next post about card leniency and its getting locked.

Understood?

It wasn't quite that Ross, I was just explaining as to why I have not done any paperwork this season :D See what you mean though, I don't want it to go down that route either!

On another not, I've just been told my academy appointment won't stop all summer, meaning there will be no end of season break for me!!! (I do have some time off for holiday, so I will get a bit of a break)

On another not, I've just been told my academy appointment won't stop all summer, meaning there will be no end of season break for me!!! (I do have some time off for holiday, so I will get a bit of a break)

Wow, the academies don't stop in summer by you?

Wow, the academies don't stop in summer by you?
Apparently not I've just been told. Which is good - fitness won't take the hit I was expecting!! And I still get to continue having games, and not have the loads of weeks off that I have had before closed season.

Apparently not I've just been told. Which is good - fitness won't take the hit I was expecting!! And I still get to continue having games, and not have the loads of weeks off that I have had before closed season.
Jojo, at your age (I'm guessing you're under 16 by your referee level), I'd be worried if your fitness did take a hit just because you have a few weeks off. If I were you, I would close a few weeks down. Muscle fatigue can create problems for you later in the season. In addition, if you are refereeing right through the closed season, you will more than likely be doing it on 3g/4g and dry grounds meaning your joints will be taking a pounding. So do yourself a favour, avoid the dangers of overworking your muscles and joints and have a little rest.

Ah ok fair enough, I've actually just been appointed to another cup final so my match tally now rises to 42 :) Funnily enough I'd been appointed to 2 other league cup finals in the last couple of weeks, and I had to reject both due to exams but I can just about squeeze this one, the third, in - I think the referee secretary is trying to tell me something lol :)

Brian, I am 16 in a few weeks time. The thing is my fitness does take a hit after just a few weeks off, if I'm not doing games or training my fitness takes a hit, I think that is just the way I am to be honest, has always been like that. And, if as what would have happened did, I would've had closer to maybe 12 weeks off. I will be having a number of weeks off due to holiday etc, and most referees do close 2-3 weeks very soon to have a break from the academies. Thanks for the advice Brian. I will also be buying some astro trainers (I already have some, but not some I would like to wear for refereeing), although I expect most of the pitches will be fine because of them being watered.

Ah ok fair enough, I've actually just been appointed to another cup final so my match tally now rises to 42 :) Funnily enough I'd been appointed to 2 other league cup finals in the last couple of weeks, and I had to reject both due to exams but I can just about squeeze this one, the third, in - I think the referee secretary is trying to tell me something lol :)
I know its been a very busy season, I think I'm on around 55 or 60 now, I haven't counted in a couple of weeks. I have the troubles of juggling refereeing and exams, but I find refereeing gives me a well earned break from revision and exams :) Well done on the cup final appointments by the way!!

He loves you

Edit: sorry moment of childishness overcame me! :D

I was thinking the same ;) Lol, apology accepted!

I know its been a very busy season, I think I'm on around 55 or 60 now, I haven't counted in a couple of weeks. I have the troubles of juggling refereeing and exams, but I find refereeing gives me a well earned break from revision and exams :) Well done on the cup final appointments by the way!!

Thanks :) Yeah I know it's a right pain in the backside, I've got 5 exams this week coming but an FA Cup final (Arsenal fan :D) and a cup final of my own to look forward to on the weekend!

Yeah I know!! I think I've got 6 this week, 8 the week after.

Ouch! And there was I, feeling sorry for myself - I've got 5 this week but thankfully only 3 the week after! Glad a did a couple last year, work load lighter this year :)

I've done maths, science and french!! And I have 6, 8 and then 3!! Unbelievable!!!!!!:cry:

I've done maths, science and french!! And I have 6, 8 and then 3!! Unbelievable!!!!!!:cry:

Boys, I remember having 20 exams for my GCSEs!! Stressful times!! The only thing is appreciate life in GCSEs whilst you have it...the exams only get far worse!!

Back