A&H

Dutch Referee Blog - Rooney in offside position but not interfering with play

• Thread starter jan (administrator)
  • Start date
Rooney in offside position, so shouldn’t the Manchester United goal not be cancelled? My twitter account @DutchReferee exploded last night when I posted a tweet that Phil Dowd correctly allowed the goal Manchester United goal against Preston North End in the FA Cup. 62 retweets and 17 favorites (and still counting). In this case study […]

Continue reading...

The Referee Store
Gained an advantage by being there, put doubt in the keepers mind as to whether he would touch it.

I think there is a possible case for interfering with play, as if you watch the video as the ball approaches Rooney he does move his body in an attempt to stop the ball hitting him. If he doesn't move then ball could possibly hit him, so by his action of trying to move away from path of ball is this enough to interpretate it as interfering with play?

This is a goal, simple as that.

Rooney does not commit an offence under any of the necessary elements of Law 11 to be penalised. A very succinct summary is on the blog outlining why this is a good non offside decision.

...and yet, had Rooney been stood to the keeper's left, just inside the goal and 'distracted' him, the goal would have been disallowed and rooney cautioned

Just saying like

Back