A&H

Dissent

JH

RefChat Addict
As there are no official guidelines as to what constitutes 'dissent', where do you draw the line and issue a caution for words or actions?

The Referee Store
Not really Josh, you need to gauge it by what is said, how it is said, is the player waving his arms around and / or pointing at you, etc.

Something that one referee sees as dissent might be seen by another referee as just a warning, and another might laugh it off.

The key thing for dissent is don't ignore it, as if you do it WILL escalate. That doesn't mean you need to caution for the first act of dissent, but you do need to be seen to be dealing with it. It might be a quiet word, public warning, use of the captain, or possibly a caution if he has overstepped the mark, but just do something.

Good advice from Rusty. I'd add that Dissent by Action (kicking a ball away, throwing a ball to the ground, sarcastic clapping etc) generally needs firm handling as it is so obvious to everyone in the ground .... whereas dissent by word can (in some cases) be less obvious and therefore have less impact on your Match Control

Is kicking the ball away dissent or delaying the restart?

I ask as (from memory) I've given a couple of yellows this season for kicking the ball away - I think I put them through as C4 - delaying restart, not C2 dissent. Have I got this wrong?

Is kicking the ball away dissent or delaying the restart?

I ask as (from memory) I've given a couple of yellows this season for kicking the ball away - I think I put them through as C4 - delaying restart, not C2 dissent. Have I got this wrong?

Can be both, depending on the circumstances. A player can kick the ball away in frustration at a decision, which can constitute dissent; more often than not though it follows with a bit of verbal dissent. A player kicking the ball away for the tactical purpose of time wasting would obviously be sanctioned with a caution for delaying the restart of play.

As there are no official guidelines as to what constitutes 'dissent', where do you draw the line and issue a caution for words or actions?

What Rusty says is spot on. You have to be seen to deal with it somehow.

I basically judge it on the way it's delivered. If the dissent is aggressive (so they've kicked the ball 50 yards, or screamed something at me) then I'll be far less tolerant of it than if it's general frustration. But, if I find the best games I have are when you talk to the players rather than just jumping straight to cards, but obviously there will be occasions when cards are necessary.

For the general whining, frustration stuff I don't like to be too heavy handed, but equally it can get out of hand if you do nothing. This is where the stepped approach works best. So first time I'll have a quiet word when I'm running past a player ("I know you disagree, but once I've made a decision let's just get on with the game, ok?"), then I'll have a public word, then I'll speak to the player and the captain and then it's a card. When it's the third time you're speaking to a player publicly, you've set them up appropriately for the card so you'll have few complaints.

The other thing I've started doing, which I picked up from a level 4 referee, is when I'm talking to the teams, checking equipment etc I'll specifically mention dissent there, rather than just to the captains at the coin toss. So I now say something along the lines of "You're not going to agree with every decision I give, but once I've given it, I'm not going to change it. So I'd advise you to save your breath, and save your money for the bar rather than wasting it arguing with me, ok?"

I've really noticed that it has helped my match control, as when anyone starts with any backchat someone from their team will normally pipe up with "C'mon Dave, you heard what he said before the game, he's given it so let's move on." It really helps when their own team manage it for you, so putting it in their head from the beginning is something worth trying.

Reactions: JH
What Rusty says is spot on. You have to be seen to deal with it somehow.

I basically judge it on the way it's delivered. If the dissent is aggressive (so they've kicked the ball 50 yards, or screamed something at me) then I'll be far less tolerant of it than if it's general frustration. But, if I find the best games I have are when you talk to the players rather than just jumping straight to cards, but obviously there will be occasions when cards are necessary.

For the general whining, frustration stuff I don't like to be too heavy handed, but equally it can get out of hand if you do nothing. This is where the stepped approach works best. So first time I'll have a quiet word when I'm running past a player ("I know you disagree, but once I've made a decision let's just get on with the game, ok?"), then I'll have a public word, then I'll speak to the player and the captain and then it's a card. When it's the third time you're speaking to a player publicly, you've set them up appropriately for the card so you'll have few complaints.

The other thing I've started doing, which I picked up from a level 4 referee, is when I'm talking to the teams, checking equipment etc I'll specifically mention dissent there, rather than just to the captains at the coin toss. So I now say something along the lines of "You're not going to agree with every decision I give, but once I've given it, I'm not going to change it. So I'd advise you to save your breath, and save your money for the bar rather than wasting it arguing with me, ok?"

I've really noticed that it has helped my match control, as when anyone starts with any backchat someone from their team will normally pipe up with "C'mon Dave, you heard what he said before the game, he's given it so let's move on." It really helps when their own team manage it for you, so putting it in their head from the beginning is something worth trying.

So I now say something along the lines of "You're not going to agree with every decision I give, but once I've given it, I'm not going to change it

Why on earth would you not be willing to change a decision? If you clearly know you have called something wrong, and yes, provided the game has not restarted etc then yes, change it! Ultimately get the right decision, is far more important than sticking to the wrong one ! Nobody would suggest changing every decision you ever make but to not be flexible enough to at least consider it can be futile? Its one of the power and duties of a referee to change a decision if you realise you have made a mistake, yet you are going to overlook that?

then again, you could revert to old school and having knowing you gave a corner kick wrong, simply blow for a fk to defending team from the resultant corner, and annoy both teams, rather than simply be honest and say, hey, sorry guys, messed that up, its actually a gk....

You're right, that's slightly poorly expressed. What I mean is that their dissent isn't going to get me to change my decision, I will only change if it I *know* I've made a mistake.

You're right, that's slightly poorly expressed. What I mean is that their dissent isn't going to get me to change my decision, I will only change if it I *know* I've made a mistake.

And indeed having told player pre match that you wont change a call, to then come to the once incident that you realise you have to change it, you now have both teams on your back !
"oi ref, you said you wont change a decision"

And indeed having told player pre match that you wont change a call, to then come to the once incident that you realise you have to change it, you now have both teams on your back !
"oi ref, you said you wont change a decision"

Only to a degree, USUALLY*, the only time you'd change a decision is when both teams point it out or the team/player who benefitted does, at this point they won't remember what you said before. It's a rare occurence to change a decision based on only the offender's opinion which would be when you might get them on your back

*obviously this doesn't apply to all circumstances for a changed decision or to those refs who are never wrong :)

Ran the line as a CAR for my son's U14s yesterday. The appointed referee I know of from a tournament I did last summer. At times in the past I have been told I am too willing to allow the game to flow and let too much go, but by comparison to this guy, I must be ultra fussy. Whilst overall thought he did well to keep control of a very competitive game on a warm day, personally think there were certain things he ignored that he missed the opportunity to stamp out early on, most notably being dissent and backchat from both sides.

Away player anticipates through ball too early and when the ball was played, he is a good 6 yards offside. I flagged for the offside, whistle goes, everyone barring attacker stops. Attacker ignores the offside call and continued to chase overhit pass. Ball went clearly over the goal line, so attacker who has now caught up with the ball, decides the smash it over a fence and into the woods behind the goal. 2nd time said player has noticably kicked the ball away, referee said and did nothing, not even a passing word with the attacker! :confused:

Bad-Language.png

Not sure if this is absolutely up to date of its been superseded by something else but it gives you a few guidelines of whats absolutely not allowed. As with all this you also have to judge tone, volume and context of where its said too... Think my funniest was Douche Bag, it was his second yellow so who cares!!!

Seen this before, useful but open to a lot of debate. I for one would find a player calling me a tosser a lot more offensive than balls!

Good advice from Rusty. I'd add that Dissent by Action (kicking a ball away, throwing a ball to the ground, sarcastic clapping etc) generally needs firm handling as it is so obvious to everyone in the ground .... whereas dissent by word can (in some cases) be less obvious and therefore have less impact on your Match Control
Kicking the ball away is delaying the restart not dissent???

As the walloper's earlier response mentioned, it could be either (or both).
Thanks Peter. And worth bearing in mind when you choose your caution code that on some leagues (including my Supply League) there are Respect 'League Tables' so a dissent caution might have a bigger impact or be part of a cumulative effect leading to financial sanctions for the team involved.

I had a player call an opponent a f****** ginger pr*** right in front of my face when I had both players in to talk to them, I showed a yellow card - correct decision?

I once had a player call me a fairy! In the context, time, manner it was said etc I red carded him. Ticked a couple of OFFINABUS criteria.

I had a player call an opponent a f****** ginger pr*** right in front of my face when I had both players in to talk to them, I showed a yellow card - correct decision?
Unfortunately no. That's a clear red card because the language used is definitely Insulting and Abusive

Afraid not IMO. For something that is so clearly offensive and insulting, delivered directly to an opposition player after you've already called them over to speak to them, it's a red card.

Back