A&H

Dele Alli

anything over a 3 match ban would be over kill. Let's be right it wasn't the crime of the century was it
That's your opinion which you're entitled to. The next time you're on the end of an offensive gesture from a player and he gets a pathetic ban, remember it's not the crime of the century and man up. Chin up and all that.
Sometimes, these things are more significant in the grand scheme of things than the story tells.

The Referee Store
That's your opinion which you're entitled to. The next time you're on the end of an offensive gesture from a player and he gets a pathetic ban, remember it's not the crime of the century and man up. Chin up and all that.
Sometimes, these things are more significant in the grand scheme of things than the story tells.
Why would 3 games be a pathetic ban? I'm sure as a referee someone (possibly) aiming a finger salute at me isn't the worst possible outcome could expect.

Why would 3 games be a pathetic ban? I'm sure as a referee someone (possibly) aiming a finger salute at me isn't the worst possible outcome could expect.
Possibly. Do you want to encourage this type of behaviour, let it be or, discourage it?

Surely any ban should simply be the same as the one that would have been meted out had the officials seen it and dismissed him for OFFINABUS? Why would it ever be anything different?

Cough Cough :rolleyes:..... I should be on paid commission for the Football authorities, they usually read my advice on here and act accordingly.......:D

It will be 1 game, 2 at an absolute push. Had the referee seen it and sent him off it would have been one game (domestic would have been different), so it certainly won't be more based on re-refereeing it.

But dem Laws say its not allowed :confused:..... If they can't stretch them to help Leicester then this will be thrown out..... Honest, the members on here will be up in arms if they stretch anything!!! :angel: Its just not cricket!!!

It will be 1 game, 2 at an absolute push. Had the referee seen it and sent him off it would have been one game (domestic would have been different), so it certainly won't be more based on re-refereeing it.

1 game ban for OFFINABUS?

And they wonder why RESPECT isn't working?

Pathetic.

Surely any ban should simply be the same as the one that would have been meted out had the officials seen it and dismissed him for OFFINABUS? Why would it ever be anything different?
Exactly as predicted :). Whilst we can debate the rights and wrongs of this as the standard for OFFINABUS, it was the only logical choice in this instance

I just don't believe anyone is going to do this to a referee with all the camera around.
He's a stupid little kid but THAT stupid?

I just don't believe anyone is going to do this to a referee with all the camera around.
He's a stupid little kid but THAT stupid?

He took a a dive while 3-0 up and ten minutes to play on Saturday. So yes, he's THAT stupid. I wish the referee hadn't seen it and given the pen so he was the first one caught in the post-game review and banned for two matches.

And this is why the Troglodytes we have to take charge of on a Sunday morning will keep on abusing and assaulting referees......because the elite game has no testicles with which deal with the offending prima donnas.

I got pelters for being Mr B'stard on my Sunday league at the time.... Since I left them quite a few have sent PM's commending me on my stance at the time in sorting this sort of stupidity that PF talks about. The new breed have a job on their hands now as they haven't the tools yet to stand up and be counted. The FA are a sham too, a complete money making sham of an organisation stuck in another century. They pander to Paper opinion and react just to show that we know they are there!!

And this is why the Troglodytes we have to take charge of on a Sunday morning will keep on abusing and assaulting referees......because the elite game has no testicles with which deal with the offending prima donnas.

Yes, but FIFA, EUFA, The FA et al don't really control the game.

The people with the money do, clubs don't want their star players missing games because a referee doesn't like being abused.

But, we also need our fellow referees to step up to the plate. We all know that there are those out there who won't caution for dissent, or let OFFINABUS go unpunished etc, and it is this mindset which encourages grassroots players to act up, as they know most of the time they will get away with it.

But we've gone over this a million times, examples need to be made at the top, but this won't happen.

Exactly as predicted :). Whilst we can debate the rights and wrongs of this as the standard for OFFINABUS, it was the only logical choice in this instance
The other thing to bear in mind, is that this was not a ban for OFFINABUS directed towards a referee and being punished as an offence under the Laws of the Game for which a player was dismissed. It was a ban for a breach of FIFA disciplinary code Article 57, namely an "offensive or unsporting" gesture - and as the FIFA decision said, it was not possible to be sure who the gesture was aimed at. Much as we might like to think we know who it was probably aimed at, surely you can't penalise someone based on what you think is the more likely explanation, only what you can be sure of.

The principle is more or less the same as the verdict in the court case over the John Terry/Anton Ferdinand "race-related insult" incident. The judge said that even though he thought Terry's explanation of events was "under the cold light of forensic examination, unlikely," since it was not possible to be 100% sure it was untrue, he felt he had no choice but to find him not guilty.

Last edited:
The other thing to bear in mind, is that this was not a ban for OFFINABUS directed towards a referee and being punished as an offence under the Laws of the Game for which a player was dismissed. It was a ban for a breach of FIFA disciplinary code Article 57, namely an "offensive or unsporting" gesture - and as the FIFA decision said, it was not possible to be sure who the gesture was aimed at. Much as we might like to think we know who it was probably aimed at, surely you can't penalise someone based on what you think is the more likely explanation, only what you can be sure of.

The principle is more or less the same as the verdict in the court case over the John Terry/Anton Ferdinand "race-related insult" incident. The judge said that even though he thought Terry's explanation of events was "under the cold light of forensic examination, unlikely," since it was not possible to be 100% sure it was untrue, he felt he had no choice but to find him not guilty.

Just to add he was still banned for the FA - as they were allowed to act under the less stringent balance of probability.

I was at that game - most incredible atmosphere that day - Chelsea players surprisingly, and pleasingly for me, totally thrown off their game by a mere 14,000 hostile fans:),

Back