A&H

Defensive FK

chrisrout

Defensive FK in area caused some discussion in a recent match. Two points, can it be taken from anywhere in the area and how should it be taken? So the FK was given close to the goal line but the keeper moved it to 5 yards from the edge of the area and kicked it to a player who was standing next to him when the kick was taken, that player waited till the ball was out of the area to play it, but was in area when free kick was taken.

The Referee Store
Law 13 will tell you, 1) a defending FK in the area can be taking from anywhere, so no problem there, but 2) the ball MUST leave the area for the ball to be active. There is nothing that says the defending time cant be in the box when he takes it, as long as it isn't played until it leaves the box, if they do then you retake the kick

Inside the goal area, a defensive free kick can be taken from anywhere within the goal area. And just like any defensive free kick taken from within the team's own penalty area, it must leave the penalty area (not just the goal area).

The confusion came from the course of events, perhaps not explained very well by me; keeper took the free kick initially from the goal line where offence odoured, the defender played it before it went out of the area so ref blew for re take , so keeper then took free kick from just inside area to player along side him, he just knocked it forward 5 yards for defender to run on to, defender inside area when taken but played ball outside when active.

I would say that was perfectly fine, made to retake due to playing it inside box. Law then still applies to taking it any where in the box and then was taken correctly in my book! Referee sounds like they got it spot on.

I would say that was perfectly fine, made to retake due to playing it inside box. Law then still applies to taking it any where in the box and then was taken correctly in my book! Referee sounds like they got it spot on.
"Anywhere in the box" only applies to free kicks within the goal area for the defending team, not the penalty area.
It seems the original offence was in and restart taken from within the goal area so retaking from the penalty area is incorrect in law.

Im with james.

The kick should have been retaken from the place on the edge of the goal area inline with where the offence occured, not where ever the keeper chooses to take it from.

"Anywhere in the box" only applies to free kicks within the goal area for the defending team, not the penalty area.
It seems the original offence was in and restart taken from within the goal area so retaking from the penalty area is incorrect in law.

You are correct sir my bad! Well spotted!

Im with james.

The kick should have been retaken from the place on the edge of the goal area inline with where the offence occured, not where ever the keeper chooses to take it from.

Agree the kick should have been retaken, but the keeper can take it from wherever he wants within the goal area, doesn't have to be in line with where the offence occurred.

I've had this before when I've been observing, in that referees get confused between goal area and penalty area. A free kick in the goal area (6 yard box) can be taken from anywhere inside the goal area, just like a goal kick can. Whereas for free kicks outside of the goal area but inside the penalty area it has to be taken from the exact spot where the offence occurred.

In both cases though the ball must leave the penalty area.

I've had this before when I've been observing, in that referees get confused between goal area and penalty area. A free kick in the goal area (6 yard box) can be taken from anywhere inside the goal area, just like a goal kick can. Whereas for free kicks outside of the goal area but inside the penalty area it has to be taken from the exact spot where the offence occurred.

In both cases though the ball must leave the penalty area.

RustyRef described the whole process succinctly and accurately. However, to others who posted, I do think that on a referee's website we should really stop using vague and unclear expressions like "box" and 'area" and always refer to Goal area and Penalty area.

I do think that on a referee's website we should really stop using vague and unclear expressions like "box" and 'area" and always refer to Goal area and Penalty area.
This. The OP and subsequent 'clarification' still keep referring to "the area" and we still don't know whether we're talking about the goal area or the penalty area. Without knowing that, it's virtually impossible to tell what's going on.

Last edited:
This. The OP and subsequent 'clarification' still keep referring to "the area" and we still don't know whether we're talking about the goal area or the penalty area. Without knowing that, it's virtually impossible to tell what's going on.

Agree, and referees using comments like "booked him", last man, etc, don't help matters.

Back