A&H

Dangerous play!

HullRef

RefChat Addict
1.) I was at the hull v stoke game today and watched Mike Dean, he gave a free kick for a high foot (dangerous play right?) however he gave it as a direct free kick. He did this a few times and I was wondering why? Have I missed something or is he wrong?
2.) Does the ball have to be stationary at a goal kick? It sounds a stupid a questions but I can't find anything that says it has to be. I know that at free kicks and corners it does but nothing is said about goal kicks? If it does can you point out where it says, to me so that I know for the future. Thanks.

Your thoughts on both matters would be a great help guys!

The Referee Store
I got pulled up in assessment about not giving a IDFK for high foot.

As far as I'm aware all dead ball situations have to start with stationary ball. If it's moving it's a easy one to sell and no one argues. Done it a few times and it's fine

1) I picked up on that watching the game on TV. I may be wrong on this one, but isn't it an IFK when contact isn't made and a DFK when the high foot connects with an opponent?

2) The clue is in the name, a dead ball is exactly that. One of the easiest decisions to give, players very rarely argue.

On the number 2. I was told this, couldn't believe it and looked in laws. But, no where does it say for a goal kick does it have to be stationary, for a FK it does say it, not for a goal kick though.

1.) if the player makes contact with another player then it is no longer dangerous play, it is kicking an opponent (DFK)
2.) I always thought that a dead ball restart had to be stationary, but I am questioning what it says in "the magic book" and so far I can't find anything that says that it has to be?

Regarding the dangerous play scenario. We all know that a "high foot" which makes a player shy away is DP and if contact is made it is a kicking offence. Similarly we all know that if a player brings his head down low to head a ball which makes a player shy away from kicking dangerous as well. But what if the player bending low (who is the offender) then gets kicked in the head as the kicking player has already commited to kicking the ball? The heading player is clearly at fault but I don't see how we cannot give a foul in his favour if he gets kicked.

2) on a popular ref forum frequented by some on here, this topic was debated to death fairly recently. It seems to be one of those sections which assumes the ball will be stationary for the gk but it is not actually in writing in the laws.

I kid you not, the debate moved on to whether anything on earth was truly stationary due to the spinning of the earth on its axis around the sun! I would have instead focused on the nature of all matter as constantly moving matter particles, which we perceive as our world around us... :s

2) on a popular ref forum frequented by some on here, this topic was debated to death fairly recently. It seems to be one of those sections which assumes the ball will be stationary for the gk but it is not actually in writing in the laws.

I kid you not, the debate moved on to whether anything on earth was truly stationary due to the spinning of the earth on its axis around the sun! I would have instead focused on the nature of all matter as constantly moving matter particles, which we perceive as our world around us... :s

Some people clearly have too much time on their hands!:p

Reactions: SM
1) IDFK if no contact. DFK if contact. Haven't seen any of Deano's game, so can't comment.

2) Nowhere does it say it has to be stationary. In fact, I'm fairly certain it doesn't even have to be on the floor. Merely in the goal-area. I'm almost tempted to encourage a player to do it when I'm being assessed and see what the assessor has to say about the matter!
Law 18 would suggest you get them to take it from stationary position...just hope there's no smart-arse like me in goal ;)

2) Nowhere does it say it has to be stationary. In fact, I'm fairly certain it doesn't even have to be on the floor. Merely in the goal-area. I'm almost tempted to encourage a player to do it when I'm being assessed and see what the assessor has to say about the matter!
Law 18 would suggest you get them to take it from stationary position...just hope there's no smart-arse like me in goal ;)

I dare you on your next game in goal to try it and see what happens ;)

The ball has to be 'placed' in the goal area for a goal kick - which would suggest it has to be on the ground, but whether stationary or not is up to interpretation I think.

Back