A&H

Cup Quarter Final

SurreySuperRef

I was appointed to a cup quarter final today, and learning from the mistakes in my last game, I really stepped it up today.

First card of the game came at 49 minutes, the home team player lunged into a challenge, two footed and off the ground. Luckily he got most of the ball, so the other bloke wasn't hurt, but there was serious potential for injury. I had no choice really but to dismiss him.

With the man advantage, the home team went on to comfortably win, despite them giving away a cheap penalty which the home team converted.

Fair play to the hone manager though, he wasn't happy about my decision, but said he spoke to the players on the sidelines during the game and they all agreed it was a ref, and he said to me he's glad I didn't bottle it because he wouldn't want a yellow if it was his player.

It wasn't a malicious tackle, just a really poor one, and I can sympathise with the player, but at the end of the day, he had to walk.

Looking back now, I'm glad I didn't bottle the red, especially as it was the first card of the game. A couple of yellows later for some niggly tactical fouls, match control was restored.

Had I gave a yellow instead of a red, I think I would have had a right mess on my hands, but both teams were mostly happy with my performance in the end.

How have all your cup games gone? I typically find them much harder than league games.

The Referee Store
Sounds like you did well. I agree cup games seems to be a bit thougher - I have found the managers and captains tend to wind themselves up thinking it's the FA Cup and Wembley and the teams respond by being a little more aggressive without the skill to make it work so someone walks or picks up yellows early.

Nice to see a Surrey member btw - doesn't seem to be too many of us active on here.

Back