A&H

Cup Final Appointments

boblardo

Level 5 Referee
How are Cup Final Appointments usually made, Club scores, reliability???

There is a referee that keeps getting cup final appointments. He is very popular with teams and players alike most probably due to the fact he never sends people off, never gives cautions and in the unlikely event he does sanction players he never sends them in. He openly admits to not sending in his match cards to the referee secretary

I know it all sounds bitter but surely this is a blatant case of last weeks ref,

I am in no way saying that I deserve a cup final appointment more than the next referee, but surely someone who shows a blatant disregard for refereeing shouldn't be "rewarded" with prestigious cup final appointments

Last edited:
The Referee Store
How do you know he admits to not sending his cards in?

To answer your question....club marks are a part of who gets finals....especially on leagues....so those referees who are 'popular' with the clubs do tend get finals.

But also important is being networked with the right people....one OA league I know of, makes sure that most of their RA branch gets final appointments whether middles or lines.

Just another facet of the petty corruption that is endemic in refereeing.

How do you know he admits to not sending his cards in?

To answer your question....club marks are a part of who gets finals....especially on leagues....so those referees who are 'popular' with the clubs do tend get finals.

But also important is being networked with the right people....one OA league I know of, makes sure that most of their RA branch gets final appointments whether middles or lines.

Just another facet of the petty corruption that is endemic in refereeing.
If the members of the RA put themselves out to attend additional training sessions delivered by their RA does that not mean their increased commitment sets them apart from other referees and that deserves recognition?

If the members of the RA put themselves out to attend additional training sessions delivered by their RA does that not mean their increased commitment sets them apart from other referees and that deserves recognition?

+1

That's not favouritism, brown-nosing or politics.

That's rewarding those who give up their time and effort to become better referees for themselves and the good of the game, and should be encouraged.

Have you been given any finals @Padfoot, or have you 'been very selective with which ones you take'?

I've actually ended up with a district cup semi-final middle, a league cup final middle and a county cup final line this year. My club marks aren't amazing but they're respectable and I'm yet to attend my local RA (although I have made my intention to join clear and was going to go this week if it wasn't for a midweek league game).

Even when some of those referees only do a fraction of the games that other refs do on the League?

+1

That's not favouritism, brown-nosing or politics.

That's rewarding those who give up their time and effort to become better referees for themselves and the good of the game, and should be encouraged.

Have you been given any finals @Padfoot, or have you 'been very selective with which ones you take'?

No, and I don't expect to get any when I am only doing selected games for a league compared to colleagues who give their time week in and week out.

Even when some of those referees only do a fraction of the games that other refs do on the League?

No, and I don't expect to get any when I am only doing selected games for a league compared to colleagues who give their time week in and week out.
Availability isn't everything. On my local league there are referees who do 2-3 times as many games as others during the league season. Should they get finals? Maybe because we get more letters of complaint about them than any other referee on the league, one of them has been caught at least twice not submitting his cards to the County FA, as well as the last time they were on a final they were an embarrassment while on the line, turning round while the game is going on and holding conversations with spectators, maybe we shouldn't?

When I am appointing for a final I want it refereeing properly, so if that means importing a referee from another league, I'll do it. Only 2 of this year's 4 finals have gone to local RA members. I picked on marks, ability, performance and availability.

I think the finals should be given to those the make themselves available, help out, good club marks etc - as BH says, you want these finals officiated properly so everything has to be brought into consideration. I for one never, and would never, get jealous of other referees getting finals and me not - id rather be pleased for them and quietly wait my turn if/when it arises

Should leagues send out club marks to refs at the end of the season?

Not that I'm complaining, as I've got 2 finals, and a County final line :cool:

Last two years I've had league cup finals in the middle, on the line and a 4th official. No league cup finals this year though, however I've got a county cup final on the line this season. It maybe that I've not had any league final action is because I changed leagues in the middle of the season as I moved areas, It doesn't bother me too much if I do or don't, ideally I would for the reason it's an extra game towards my promotion season. I'm happy to go to finals and support my colleagues which I will be doing on Thursday at a County Cup final.

Availability isn't everything. On my local league there are referees who do 2-3 times as many games as others during the league season. Should they get finals? Maybe because we get more letters of complaint about them than any other referee on the league, one of them has been caught at least twice not submitting his cards to the County FA, as well as the last time they were on a final they were an embarrassment while on the line, turning round while the game is going on and holding conversations with spectators, maybe we shouldn't?

When I am appointing for a final I want it refereeing properly, so if that means importing a referee from another league, I'll do it. Only 2 of this year's 4 finals have gone to local RA members. I picked on marks, ability, performance and availability.

Where do you stand on officials with next to no experience as an AR been appointed as AR to cup finals?

Back