A&H

Concentration

Is it common for people to refuse a promotion to FL AR then or would that just not happen due to previous conversations etc?

The Referee Store
As a level 2 assistant, you can still referee in the lower leagues. Its not uncommon that we get a a Premier League assistant referee officiate a grassroots game here in Cornwall. He had a moment not long ago when in the bar after the game, the players etc were saying "yeah you had a good game ref, few mistakes but you were Alrite. So, who you got next week?" "Urm... Arsenal v Chelsea at the Bridge"... "f**k off!!!" :eek::eek: It was then that he explained who he was. Jaws just dropped. Class guy!

Is it common for people to refuse a promotion to FL AR then or would that just not happen due to previous conversations etc?

I was told by a FL assistant, that when 'qualified' to AR on FL they had a season to make up their minds, whilst getting FL lines and lower level middles. After that they had to choose one path - Ref or AR.

The guy I spoke to went straight for the AR route

I was told by a FL assistant, that when 'qualified' to AR on FL they had a season to make up their minds, whilst getting FL lines and lower level middles. After that they had to choose one path - Ref or AR.

The guy I spoke to went straight for the AR route
Do you or anyone know what kind of level the ARs and refs start to team up. Like Howard Web and Darren caan off top of my head were a team I believe? (Don't recall other AR name)

Do you or anyone know what kind of level the ARs and refs start to team up. Like Howard Web and Darren caan off top of my head were a team I believe? (Don't recall other AR name)

Only at the top level, and really only when they are FIFA officials. Mike Mullarkey is the name you are missing.

If anyone has read Webb's book, he does mention in there that the premier league is split into groups of referees and assistant referees - which is why you always see the same 'groups' together over and over - its so there is a 'knowing how they work' aspect ...

Anyone think at grassroots this would be a good idea?

Personally I enjoy working with a variety of other officials. Not saying its not good to work with those you have worked with before, but just think it would get a bit 'samey' if it was the same few faces you met with everytime.

In Suffolk you get to work in a team of three at county semi final and final at youth and finals for all the other cups. I had lines at OA for semi finals and a couple of finals. Its good to work with other refs but being in the same team all the time would be a bit dull at our level.

I'm not sure if it'd be 'dull' ... depends who you are with - there are some officials that when I see our names crop up together I know im in for a boring/hard game - and others I can't wait to get out there

My understanding is that at SG2 and above the officals "triangle", so that means the assistants typically work with the same three referees consistently.

By Dull I meant that it is our only oppurtunity to work with different refs so on the few occasions there are teams of three it is the only time to meet new refs and learn from them. If you dedicated to a team of three you wouldn't have this oppurtunity. Dull was the wrong word!

By Dull I meant that it is our only oppurtunity to work with different refs so on the few occasions there are teams of three it is the only time to meet new refs and learn from them. If you dedicated to a team of three you wouldn't have this oppurtunity. Dull was the wrong word!
Agreed, I've learnt different things by lining for different refs and I certainly wouldn't want to give up the ability to pick up new tricks from different people.

Back