A&H

Commercial breaks. They are here.

The Referee Store
Sigh.

When soccer was developing in the US in the 70s/80s, the networks just cut away from the game to show commercials . . . oops, goal scored, oh well . . .

TO me its says a lot if the referees want to remain anonymous when raising the issue. It means they all know it is wrong but still doing it. This includes referees, broadcasters and anyone in-between.

Sigh.

When soccer was developing in the US in the 70s/80s, the networks just cut away from the game to show commercials . . . oops, goal scored, oh well . . .
Showing my age - my Dad was serving in the military in the late 1980's and was stationed in Hong Kong during the 1988 Olympics.

Him and his mates were watching the mens 100m final (won by Ben Johnson who later got stripped of the gold due to doping) and just after they started at about 4 seconds into the final they cut to an ad break. When they cut back they had switched to another event and made no mention of the result (pre internet, only 3 channels on the TV) 😂

The supremacy of sports on TV has come a long way from the 70s and 80s . . . ESPN was a laughingstock in many places when it started because there would never be enough sports to fill its schedule . . . I remember NBA games (I think even playoffs) on tape delay and NFL games being dropped because they went beyond their allotted time slots and the World Series being played in the middle of the work/school day . . .

They have 'In play' adverts on ITV racing now - you don't miss any action though, always played in just before the start of a race.

Easier in that sport as races NEVER start early (Any that do are voided)

I've said this before from televised games that I've been involved in, the 4th official often comes under huge pressure from the broadcaster's floor manager. Everything has to be timed perfectly, you get "are you sure about that" questioning when they ask you how long will be added and they don't like the answer, they want to know why cautions / reds have been given (fine if you have comms, bit of a nightmare if you don't), and so on.

Demanding stoppages for drinks breaks isn't something I've encountered, not surprising given the good old English weather, and the Australian football authorities should be easily able to crush this before it gets out of hand. I'm pretty sure the referees wouldn't have agreed to it though if they hadn't received directives from above, so someone must be complicit in allowing this to happen.

During one of the World Cups, there was stories of Canadian TV switching to adverts when the ball went of play for corners etc, not sure how much truth there was to it though. Still can't beat ITV's classic screw up of switching to adverts in the middle of an Everton Vs Liverpool cup game and missing the game's only goal! :eek:

Drinks breaks will no longer be used in the A-League to stop play for television ads after the Australian Professional Leagues reached an agreement with Network Ten, as FIFA said breaks in play should be used only for player safety and not “commercial considerations”.

The fact is broadcasters have the ability to advertise during live feed already. It is very simple to have an overlay, with the live feed of the game in a box within the advert so no action is missed.
If you listen to talk sport they already do the radio version with the commentator plugging the sponsors product randomly in the commentary.
I don't fear the game being stopped and held up for advertising but I do See a future where advertising is brought in as part of the broadcast of a game.

The fact is broadcasters have the ability to advertise during live feed already. It is very simple to have an overlay, with the live feed of the game in a box within the advert so no action is missed.
If you listen to talk sport they already do the radio version with the commentator plugging the sponsors product randomly in the commentary.
I don't fear the game being stopped and held up for advertising but I do See a future where advertising is brought in as part of the broadcast of a game.

Already occurs with the advertising boards, often have in play betting odds on them
In overseas markets these boards will often show different advertising done via a digital overlay.

Last edited:
"And now it's time for the drinks break, sponsored by Lucozade!"
Half expecting McDonalds to sponsor the whistles so they all play the doo-de-doo-de-doo (I'm lovin' it) jingle as Mike Dean points dramatically to the spot.

Back