A&H

Commentator effect

santa sangria

RefChat Addict
Very strange experience a few weeks ago. This was the first adult match I’ve refereed that was streamed with commentary. The match was very dull. Commentator missed the first five mins - and was associated and partisan to one side. Very few fouls but every decision the commentator laid into me. He had a grainy remote one camera view, could not see the offences and the commentary was basically “nooo, WTF is the ref seeing.”

Watching it back was disturbing TBH as the guy was just soooo wrong and unpleasant. Luckily it’s probably watched by approx. three people, one of them me. Made me think just how insane it must be to handle the commentary, socials and meejah for the top flight officials - insane pressure - unimaginable.

Of course, there’s a twist. Two weeks later a coach of the same club starts talking to me about problems with a commentator, other referees mentioning similar. Turns out the following match the same guy has gone too far with bad language insulting the referees, authorities acted, and he’s unlikely to be back on the mic soon.

Next time, I’ll watch with the sound off!

The Referee Store
Very strange experience a few weeks ago. This was the first adult match I’ve refereed that was streamed with commentary. The match was very dull. Commentator missed the first five mins - and was associated and partisan to one side. Very few fouls but every decision the commentator laid into me. He had a grainy remote one camera view, could not see the offences and the commentary was basically “nooo, WTF is the ref seeing.”

Watching it back was disturbing TBH as the guy was just soooo wrong and unpleasant. Luckily it’s probably watched by approx. three people, one of them me. Made me think just how insane it must be to handle the commentary, socials and meejah for the top flight officials - insane pressure - unimaginable.

Of course, there’s a twist. Two weeks later a coach of the same club starts talking to me about problems with a commentator, other referees mentioning similar. Turns out the following match the same guy has gone too far with bad language insulting the referees, authorities acted, and he’s unlikely to be back on the mic soon.

We have a similar problem here, but in the way of a football forum..

It is designed for match reports and discussion and very frequently the referees become the focal point, mostly in a negative light.

Its really difficult not to go looking at it after games and I myself have been the focal point on a few occasions. Local spectators whom many have very limited understanding and knowledge of law casting, often degrading , opinions on yours and your colleagues performance. And in line with social media policies we have no right of reply.

Earlier this season I racked up 2 pages full from a red card decision, and after the highlight came out it went completely dead bar 1 person (which stunk of I can't go back on what I have said now 🤣).

We have a similar problem here, but in the way of a football forum..

It is designed for match reports and discussion and very frequently the referees become the focal point, mostly in a negative light.

Its really difficult not to go looking at it after games and I myself have been the focal point on a few occasions. Local spectators whom many have very limited understanding and knowledge of law casting, often degrading , opinions on yours and your colleagues performance. And in line with social media policies we have no right of reply.

Earlier this season I racked up 2 pages full from a red card decision, and after the highlight came out it went completely dead bar 1 person (which stunk of I can't go back on what I have said now 🤣).
link please :)

Most clubs like to have some media presence and publicity but it can be difficult to find anyone to take on the role. I find many that do are self appointed with delusions of journalistic grandeur and their output can be a source of ridicule and embarrassment to the clubs themselves. Often they don't last long.

Most clubs like to have some media presence and publicity but it can be difficult to find anyone to take on the role. I find many that do are self appointed with delusions of journalistic grandeur and their output can be a source of ridicule and embarrassment to the clubs themselves. Often they don't last long.
they're after their 15 mins of fame by going viral

Luckily he wasn’t live commentating over the tannoy like they seem to do in some US sports. Imagine what that would do to your game. You’ll have to post the link for us all to watch 😉

Nothing you can do about unofficial forums etc. But anything associated to the league, they are generally good at policing it.

A fusal league I refereed at had a Facebook page with an admin which was 'too close' to some players. Early in season in one of his match reports he stuck into me. Nothing over the top but things like "no one else thought it was a penalty except the referee" (in reality the entirety of one team appealed for it), or "this would have been a good game had it not been for the referee". I didn't know about the page until my son brought it to my attention. I reported it to the appointments officer who agreed it was unprofessional and will get it deleted. Checked it again 4 days later and it was still there. I declined my appointment the following week and withdrew from the league sighting the league being run unprofessionally. The post was deleted the next hour. Received a call from the centre manager where the league (and other leagues) were run receiving a personal apology, he also said he reprimanded the admin for that league and said I would receive an apology from him next time I am in the centre which I did.

If owners/admins of a league don't look after their officials, I don't think any referee should referee there.

Last edited:
Luckily he wasn’t live commentating over the tannoy like they seem to do in some US sports. Imagine what that would do to your game. You’ll have to post the link for us all to watch 😉
Thankfully for your eyes and ears it’s behind the paywall of the online services of an obscure sports sub-channel of the 4th national channel in a small Nordic country. And no subtitles!

A couple of the refs that I worked with played in the lower levels of a club that was in the premier division I refereed.
Whenever there was some big incident in a game they would always let me know what the feedback was like in the group chat.
There was one incident where a player lost it and tried to fight a bunch of people off the field and he said that everyone else in the group chat thought I did a great job.

Back