A&H

Club marks

Literally this. Or at least make clubs justify their marks (then at least the FA or whoever can see they've marked you down because they don't like you sending a player off and discount it) - obviously open to abuse but makes them put a bit more thought into it.
Clubs rarely give a mark lower than 65 because they then have to explain why they have given a low mark........
I've had very low club marks before and I mean low, but the clubs fail to justify these and those marks are ignored.........

The Referee Store
Really sorry to hear that Craig, I think it's nonsense to miss out on promotion because of club marks, especially as you passed the observations!

Clubs rarely give a mark lower than 65 because they then have to explain why they have given a low mark........
I've had very low club marks before and I mean low, but the clubs fail to justify these and those marks are ignored.........
POINT OF ORDER - SCOR says 60 or below has to be supported with a report - league rules may alter this.

Sorry about your failed promotion Craig. :(

Never have done and never will have any intention of going for promotion and to be brutally honest, couldn't give a rat's backside about club marks either. If a manager wants to be vindictive and mark me down for daring to over rule a blatantly wrong offside call (One paticular occasion had 2 defenders and the keeper on the goal line, flag still went up! :eek: ) or give a last minute penalty and card his son for a rugby tackle, then so be it, my "bovveredometer" isn't registering! :D

No fighting next year as having a better understanding of observations and club marks coming into play this time next season

This thread is a bit of a shock. I'm going for 7-6 this year and nothing in the Surrey documentation for promotion even mentions club marks as part of the criteria. Is this different by county?

They don't go for 5 where I am they go for 4 but 3 is the target but when I had 4 I thought without getting arrogant I thought I was guaranteed

This thread is a bit of a shock. I'm going for 7-6 this year and nothing in the Surrey documentation for promotion even mentions club marks as part of the criteria. Is this different by county?
More or less EVERYTHING is different from county to county ... :rolleyes:

The old ref sec from my old Sunday League used to ring me on a tuesday to listen to the OA bad boys report from the previous weekend. We used to have a good chuckle with some of the antics i'd sorted out.
He used to be L4 and loved my no-nonsense approach, it actually worked well for him to have a ref that wasn't ars3d in upsetting a few.
If they gave me a 1/100 I didn't care, it meant that i'd done my job, not stood for the bullsh1t and sent the buggers packing if they overstepped the mark. He'd purposefully give me the worst offenders to ruffle their feathers. he loved it and in a strange way, so did I!!
I must of been the Padfoot of the North!!! My initial presence that must of been a sight for sore eyes to these embattled cherubs!!

Last edited:

Yeah, London basically told us they don't really matter either from 7-5. If you do enough games, and pass enough observations then you'll be fine. They still collect them as they have to confirm you did the games you said you did but it sounds like they basically ignore them when it comes to assessing promotions.

Club marks over enough games will always give a fair reflection of your ability. You'll get the odd team who mark you down because you gave a penalty against them etc but so will every other referee. A few points/tips to consider for club marks.

1. Never referee for club marks. It will always bite you in the arse!
2. Neither team respect a referee who doesn't do his job properly and both will mark you down.
3. First impressions count - massive handshake and smile, asking if they're ok, knowledge of the game, appropriate dresscode - all matter.

Finally I fell afoul of club marks in bandings in October and I didn't know why. I'd had no issues with players so just put it down to me being a new face. And then an assessor pointed out that I wasn't selling it with my hands and body.

Why did this matter to club marks?

Well if the guy on the touchline Is the one who marks you then he needs to know why you're giving decisions.

Back