A&H

Clattenburg to quit FA referees?

Is he going to referee or run it? The BBC story implies training/overseeing/managerial role

The Referee Store
He's going to do both. I imagine it was a case of 'here have lots of money and choose your own job'.

This has to be a wake up call for the FA and PGMOL. They have now lost two top level FIFA referees years before they were traditionally due to retire, and this just doesn't seem to happen in other countries.

Doesn't this mean that England will not be able to provide a referee for the 2018 World Cup? If so that is a very sorry state of affairs, and heads should roll from the people that have allowed this situation to develop.

I think Oliver is the only referee on the development list.

God help us if this is the best we can do. I can only assume he has dirt on someone high up to have made it this far. This man in an international tourney??? Do me a favour

This has to be a wake up call for the FA and PGMOL. They have now lost two top level FIFA referees years before they were traditionally due to retire, and this just doesn't seem to happen in other countries.

Doesn't this mean that England will not be able to provide a referee for the 2018 World Cup? If so that is a very sorry state of affairs, and heads should roll from the people that have allowed this situation to develop.

The Premier League? Sky?

We could be going backwards to the late 1990's / early 200's when Durkin and Riley were the referees sent to World Cups. Our standard of refereeing is not that bad is it?

This is such a shame to English football ... its also made me think that Clattsy has lost the race to be the best referee in English history - Webb takes the title still for me ... shame, but the money has obviously attracted him like it does the players

I have no doubt that money would have played a big part in his decision, but I wonder if (as the papers etc alledge) more support from the FA/PMGOL would have made him stay.

Can't be easy to give up the opportunity to got to the world cup, especially when IMO he had a good shot at getting the final

We could be going backwards to the late 1990's / early 200's when Durkin and Riley were the referees sent to World Cups. Our standard of refereeing is not that bad is it?

Going back further than that, we simply will not have a referee in Russia. With Clatts gone, and Atkinson having to retire from FIFA this year, there is no chance of having anyone there. FIFA only use Elite referees for the top competitions, and even if Oliver and / or Taylor were promoted to Elite in December 2017 that would be too late as the WC candidates would have already been decided.

I have no doubt that money would have played a big part in his decision, but I wonder if (as the papers etc alledge) more support from the FA/PMGOL would have made him stay.

Can't be easy to give up the opportunity to got to the world cup, especially when IMO he had a good shot at getting the final
He would only have had a chance at the final if England go out of the competition at an earlier point. Oh, wait...

Back