A&H

Classic things you hear whilst refereeing...

The Referee Store
Agree with Matty's post a couple of pages back, the best stuff I've come across here in NZ is from people who play football on Saturday morning, but watch rugby on Saturday night.

- At the full time whistle, from a team losing by 1 "You can't end the game now ref, we have the ball and it hasn't gone out yet."
- Player misses a shot on goal straight after I call "Advantage" - "What the f*&% are you doing, advantage wasn't over yet!"
- And then there's the influence of what the players hear on TV from rugby players talking to refs, who wear microphones which are broadcast live on TV. I can't count the times I've had "It's not tiddlywinks, ref" (
")

I love symantics!

Don't know what the Law is for Futsal, but the LOTG say there has to be a deliberate movement of the hand to the ball. Which to me is very different to deliberately handling the ball.

Last weekend, watching Wellington Pheonix, they are defending in their own penalty area, a defender is tripped, Durante (a defender) spreads his arms out "Come on Ref!' claiming the foul on his teamate just as the ball pops up and hits his hand.

Penalty, every day of the week, but was it deliberate? No.

Natural position is something we should be judging case-by-case - and yes, when standing, still, arms can be slightly away from the body - but when running/turning/jumping/tackling etc can be a tough call.

One thing you hear from commentators of PL matches this season when GLT is used is "the linesman didn't give that - it's lucky we've got technology" arghhhhhh! :mad::mad::mad:

Had an U11 yesterday ask me if I was a professional ref (it was a school tournament and I was the only qualified ref there) I told him that I wasn't professional but I am a "proper ref" his next question was "Do you ref Barcelona and that?"
So I replied "yeah have you never seen me before?"

His face was priceless, I did then tell him that i don't actually ref Barcelona but it was fun while it lasted :p

It makes me laugh how males like kicking chunks out of each other but had a girls u13/14 school tournament Wednesday and every 30 seconds or so I kept hearing sorry for any contact that was made.

It makes me laugh how males like kicking chunks out of each other but had a girls u13/14 school tournament Wednesday and every 30 seconds or so I kept hearing sorry for any contact that was made.
Always a good indicator of a foul or not in the women's game.

Had a number of cases of the good old "well you gave the first one so you should have this one" comments yesterday, from some who clearly know the laws of the game better than me. Not sure us qualified refs need to be there when the managers clearly know better.

A good one was when I booked the keeper the delaying the restart late on when he was taking an age to take his goal kicks. Manager was furious I had booked his keeper because he had taken kick from the other side of the goal area from where it went out "you can't book him for that, he's allowed to do it" tried to explain it was for the ten minutes it took him to stroll the width of his area but no, I was clearly wrong lol.

Had a funny one today, red v white. Red corner first of the match, red player stands just in front of the goalkeeper, nothing wrong at all, but apparently an angry parent disagrees...

"Ref what's wrong with you he's not allowed to be within two yards of the goalkeeper!"

She was standing with a slightly older man (possibly husband/fiancee/boyfriend) who buried his head in his hands. Didn't hear a peep rest of the match.

I called a player over for a chat after his disagreed a little too strongly over a foul given against him. Call his captain over to administer a strong word. Before the captain gets to me the young whelp tells me directly to my face to f@ck off. "Did you just tell me to f@ck off?" And he repeats himself.

Captain shakes his head, does an about turn, runs back to his position while I get the red card out of my back pocket.

Sometimes it is said best with no words!

Heard the best comment ever re a caution on Sunday. Blue player running on goal 30 yards out has his jersey pulled so hard by yellow player it almost comes over his head. I stop play and when cautioning yellow player he says "Honestly ref,he must have glue or something on his top, because my hand stand stuck to it and i was just trying to shake it loose!!!"
Seriously !!!

Back