A&H

City vs United

dadofref

Where do people stand on the Rashford/Walker and the Garnacho/Ederson incidents?

Personally for me, Rashford's running at full pelt, and at that point it doesn't take a lot to throw you off balance; Walker gains a clear advantage in grabbing at Rashford, it's not shoulder-to-shoulder. Yes it could be considered "soft", but it's still a foul IMO, Walker actually pulls at him when he's running with both feet off the ground, and physics says it doesn't matter how "strong" you are if you've got nothing to resist against. Could Rashford have kept his balance and kept running? Possibly. Should he have had to? No. I don't think it's quite in DOGSO territory, but I'd have said a free kick and a yellow would have been fair.

As for Ederson, he comes in hard, fast, studs up, out of control, and wipes out Garnacho with his trailing leg. Had Ederson been a midfielder making that challenge in the middle of the park, there'd have been definite calls for a red card.

The Referee Store
Rashford one - no way, feather, it’s a contact sport.

Ederson on Garnacho. Classic what football expects. Ball first then a lot of player. Goalkeeper or full back OK. In midfield or in front of the benches it might be a foul.

Not enough in it for me in the Rashford/Walker one, Rashford has gone down far to easily. Whilst I hate the phrase (i'm going to use it 🤣)"it's a contact sport". I want to see a good, competitive battle. If those start getting pulled up as fouls then we run the risk of football becoming non-contact.

Ederson/Garnacho, the only consideration is the lunge and distance at which Ederson comes in from. A very brave referee might give if for Ederson being reckless/out of control, but few refs are giving a penalty for that, instead saying it was a good, strong challenge (however, anywhere else on the pitch, most refs are giving that a foul, mainly to control game temperature IMHO).

Garnacho rolling around screaming like his leg is broken makes it look worse than it is (he miraculously stands up seconds later).

Neither fouls for me, Rashford just feels an arm on him and falls over. Certainly think that if an outfield player made the same challenge as Ederson in the middle of pitch it would be getting penalised, but there does seem to be a universal acceptance that keepers can get away with touching the ball then wiping out the opponent.

Back