A&H

Chelsea v Tottenham - Goal line technology?

Ross

Forum VAR
Staff member
Level 6 Referee
FA Referee
I havent actually seen it but twitter and Facebook all seem to be full of comments about this game, it appears the Chelsea goal wasn't actually a goal as it didn't cross the line.

Is football in need of goal line technology?

Discuss

The Referee Store
I vote no.

I hate it when the match officials get these decisions wrong (as was the case in Chelsea v Spurs), but it's all part of the game. It's no worse than players making mistakes that cost their teams points/relegation/cup competitions etc.

As a Spurs fan, yes, deffinetly, hawk eye for offsides too!

As a referee, no. Its ok having it at the top levels, but whats about park football? And goal line technology? Where does it end?!

I'm all for retrospectivly voiding goals / yellows/ reds, or giving a goal / yellow / red (although I highly doubt that will ever happen!), but I'm against the use of too much technology.

To be fair thought, the AR had no chance with the goal, and what was the signaling? ;)

Goal line technology has to come into the game at the highest levels, where goalposts can contain the equipment or TV company cameras can be postioned. What concerns me is how are the LOAFs going to be changed to accommodate reviewing TV replays - do you stop the game if the ball is still in play? Instantly, or after a few more seconds to see if a goal is scored anyway?

This isn't just about the money in the game, it's about a fundamental change in the laws. FIFA have got a headache!

Cairnsy must have been sure it was over the line to give it, but then he should've flagged it to leave no doubt. It's like giving a penalty, if you're going to give one (as an AR) then give it 100%!

i would only support it if it doesn't change the flow of the game so something like Hawkeye with an immediate decision.

Can you imagine 2 mins to go, Cup game, 0-0 - appeal for ball over the line. Then what's next? Dropped ball on edge of goal area from where play was stopped.

Carnage...

As a Spurs fan, yes, deffinetly, hawk eye for offsides too!

As a referee, no.

We agree to this point, Lewys, but after that I don't agree. Any goal-line technology or video replay creates too much a "stop-start" effect on the game and it becomes rugby more than it does football. Furthermore, for the philosophical point that Ref Groupie raises and is raised in the documentary "The Referees", I agree that players are allowed to make mistakes and so, too, should referees.

Back