A&H

Celtic v Astana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheffields Finest

Maybe I'm foolish, maybe I'm blind!
Level 7 Referee
Let's discuss Celtics 3rd goal. Serious head clash near half way line, 2 players down, blood pouring and ref 10 yards away plays on... pathetic decision from this young ref that looked like a rabbit in headlights....

The Referee Store
I honestly would have played that on also, and, you could also say the referee can be congratulated in an advantage which led to a goal,
to get a goal from an advantage 40 yards from goal in front of 55,000 folk is far from pathetic? There was a total of 6 seconds between the clash and the ball going into the net, understood and accepted in a tongue swallowing incident or so that every millisecond counts, but, a delay of 6 seconds there is not gonna affect the injury.

I thought with a head injury we had to stop asap due to players safety? Am I wrong if so please advise I would rather have an angry player than a potentially seriously injured player.

Clearly that's the 3rd goal, but if this was 0-0 and you denied Celtic the only goal of the game you would have 55,000 angry fans, 10 players going crazy at you then have the face the Celtic manager in his post match press comments saying "we would rather have played on"
So it ends 0-0 and Celtic lose 1-0 away and are out. XXXX million pounds lost, they have to sell Teirney and Sinclair and Dembele and all because you wanted to apply a bandage. Yes there was a clash and yes 2 players were hurt. Its 6 seconds. Would have taken the medics minimum of 6 seconds to get to the incident in the first place.
Referee would be well within his rights to stop play straight away though. This forum is mainly to gauge opinions and mine is (in this game, not a u12 game ), I would have played on.

Your role as referee is to mange the game to the best of your ability. Had it been a tackle and a (Celtic) player instantly broke his leg nobody would be looking for the game to be stopped instantly in this situation.
There was more to my post than upsetting 55,000 folk. Nobody associated with Celtic, from the chairman to the kiosk hut cleaner will have any issue what so ever with play continuing last night. Qualification to group stages is worth how many millions. Not to mention they get to keep their 3 of 4 most in demand players. At that level there are more factors to consider than a clash of heads.
Nobody was concussed in the incident and a valid goal was scored. Its easy to say "ah but they could have been". Well, someone could have been smacked in the face by the ball at the first shooting range free kick.
The only 2 incidents I know of at very top level in UK have been Muamba and the sad passing of Phil O Donnell. Neither were associated with a head knock in any way. 2 out of, how many thousands of games get played each season. Nothing head related.

Your role as referee is to mange the game to the best of your ability. Had it been a tackle and a (Celtic) player instantly broke his leg nobody would be looking for the game to be stopped instantly in this situation.
There was more to my post than upsetting 55,000 folk. Nobody associated with Celtic, from the chairman to the kiosk hut cleaner will have any issue what so ever with play continuing last night. Qualification to group stages is worth how many millions. Not to mention they get to keep their 3 of 4 most in demand players. At that level there are more factors to consider than a clash of heads.
Nobody was concussed in the incident and a valid goal was scored. Its easy to say "ah but they could have been". Well, someone could have been smacked in the face by the ball at the first shooting range free kick.

I have to agree with Sheffield's Finest earlier comments on this. Two players flat on the ground with head knocks, both appeared to be lying still and showing no signs of getting up. It looked bad - I'd have stopped play and would have no problem justifying that decision to anyone who disagreed.

For the next to nothing its worth, I have no issue with someone stopping play there. Am just saying I personally don't think its right to be overly critical of the referee for playing on. To claim the referee made a pathetic decision, which in reality was the tie winning goal for Celtic, is a bit harsh. Was it brave? foolish? did he get lucky? possibly. But I don't think you can class it as pathetic.

For the next to nothing its worth, I have no issue with someone stopping play there. Am just saying I personally don't think its right to be overly critical of the referee for playing on. To claim the referee made a pathetic decision, which in reality was the tie winning goal for Celtic, is a bit harsh. Was it brave? foolish? did he get lucky? possibly. But I don't think you can class it as pathetic.
Nobody associated with Celtic, from the chairman to the kiosk hut cleaner will have any issue what so ever with play continuing last night. Qualification to group stages is worth how many millions.
So it ends 0-0 and Celtic lose 1-0 away and are out. XXXX million pounds lost, they have to sell Teirney and Sinclair and Dembele and all because you wanted to apply a bandage.

The problem I have with your posts is the focus on how important this goal was for Celtic.

And why would it not be? This is not some charity kick about or a group of pals playing 5s ?
its a multi million pound industry, at that level, a business as much as, if not more than, a sport.
For Celtic, that goal effectively kills the tie and gives them at least 3 full houses and appearance money, tv money, hospitality etc.
This goal was important.
Its an outstanding advantage for me.

Ok, on that basis, where does it say in LOTG that play must be stopped immediately following a clash of head?

It does say, play should be stopped in the case of a serious injury, however, it does not instruct you as to when that should be.....

You answered your own question with the answer! If two player prostate on the floor isn't serious and ticks that box then I don't know what does! Do we consider 55000 fans when games are stopped for inclement weather? Pathetic desicion!

Plenty games dont go ahead despite the pitch being fine but the surrounding areas are dangerous due to inclement weather.
Its a valid goal, and its a gd advantage

It's a disgraceful lapse in sense by the referee and condoned in your argument. Let's just say the goal was 30 seconds later, 60 seconds.... when does two lives in potential jeopody rise above the importance of a few Jocks on the P1ss in the next round... give your head a shake Milley....

I haven't seen the incident, but, when it comes to (potential) head injuries I will always err on the side of caution.

However, were referees not drs (in most cases) so we are unable to correctly assess an injury and to determine whether it is serious or not. You say the referee was 10yds away, if he's playing advantage and following the game how can you be sure he saw the blood?

Even minor head injuries bleed a lot, but if he's running past it's entirely possible that the blood wasn't visible at that precise moment, and if it was only 6 seconds from the foul to the goal then it's not like the ref had time to stand there and decide whether or not to stop play.

I would have stopped play, but the referee was not incorrect in law in not doing so. Celtic players could easily have kicked the ball out if they were that concerned.

I honestly would have played that on also, and, you could also say the referee can be congratulated in an advantage which led to a goal,
to get a goal from an advantage 40 yards from goal in front of 55,000 folk is far from pathetic? There was a total of 6 seconds between the clash and the ball going into the net, understood and accepted in a tongue swallowing incident or so that every millisecond counts, but, a delay of 6 seconds there is not gonna affect the injury.

Advantage? This was an accidental clash of heads by a player from each team who were both fairly challenging for the ball. How can you congratulate that as an advantage? I would be stopping play every time with this kind of clash, 40 yards out or 10 yards out! Advantage?

In fairness to the referee, he did play advantage as he subsequently cautioned the Astana player at the stoppage following the goal.

However, I would strongly suggest that in 9/10 cases like this the most sensible option is to stop play.

Advantage? This was an accidental clash of heads by a player from each team who were both fairly challenging for the ball. How can you congratulate that as an advantage? I would be stopping play every time with this kind of clash, 40 yards out or 10 yards out! Advantage?

This was a foul, advantage, goal,then caution?

It's a disgraceful lapse in sense by the referee and condoned in your argument. Let's just say the goal was 30 seconds later, 60 seconds.... when does two lives in potential jeopody rise above the importance of a few Jocks on the P1ss in the next round... give your head a shake Milley....

Thats xenophobia and I have reported it as such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back