A&H

Casting abuse in a trivial light

SLI39

I was unsettled to read a magazine column from Law graduate and now journalist, Miranda Sawyer, who appeared to take satisfaction (through feigned exasperation) in having watched her seven-year-old participate in an raucous mini soccer match, without conveying to the reader her sympathy for the referee or any indication of how the misconduct was handled. It sounded like this was her attempt, in her middle class angst, to camouflage herself within a football community; unsure of her authenticity, she sought to sentimentalise aspects of the game that should have no place on the pitch: coded threats to referees, angry parents etc.
I would be keen to know in what county her son's team played, because it gave a very alarming account (albeit unsubstantiated) of mini soccer.
The conclusion that this was all part of growing up was depressing, and her incredulity at adults who get worked up was not backed up by any active wish to see the game changed. Indifference is our worst enemy.
Unfortunately I cannot find any online content of the article in question, but if any emerges, I'll post it here.

The Referee Store
Having had a son play under 7 (and 8 and 9) I have yet to see any problems at mini football. I have only ever reffed for them once, there is no need as there are never any problems.

What is described in that article is disgraceful if it is true. I would be taking my son off home if I witnessed any of that.

Indeed, I was shocked to the point of wondering whether this was a cynical journalistic ploy. My brother and I refereed mini soccer for several years, and this was an extremely rare occurrence. To have it happen multiple times in one season is an indictment of the league, county, clubs, and by extension even her own parenting.

Back