A&H

calling players by name

richard ramjane

RefChat Addict
i've found that usually i'll get to a game and i know someone there, either having played with them or against them over the years.... or sometimes just randomly, having lived in the area for over 40 years. Add to that repeated appointments to the same teams and that also brings familiarity both ways.
Not a unique scenario by any means, however, i'm finding i'm referring to players / managers by their first names. Never had a problem with it, but yesterday i had a player have a semi moan about it, saying that ''oh you know them all by first name, is there any point in us playing...''
now, I do it to be personable, and find that in general it gets a good response... but, am i potentially causing myself issues there if , as was the case yesterday, the other team was one i've not encountered before?

also (and ive answered this one for myself) during the players warm up i was walking over to inspect the nets. Ball rolls out towards me on the edge of the PA, and i've heard one of the players from behind me shout ''go on ref, lets see what you've got''.. .wouldnt usually, but i did.... top corner and i thought... dont even turn round just carry on. Anyways they were silent for a bit and then they started ribbing the keeper. Was amusing but... am i causing myself potential grief by getting involved in their warm up like that?
(when i say ive answered this for myself, i mean i've promised myself not to do it again)

The Referee Store
If I am aware of a players name then I will use it, if anyone in the "other" team takes issue with it, I would say something like "ok, whats your name and I will try to use it during the game too" I also have no bother with players using my name, to me, its all about communication, I find touchlines esp are less likely to shout "oi XXXXXXXXXX abuse abuse abuse" than they are "referee your this that and the next thing". I suppose you could compare it to say, Mike Dean being appointed to Man Utd v Luton in the cup, why on earth shout "number 4, number 4 (or whatever number Phil Jones is) when he can say/shout "Mr Jones, or Phil, or whatever suits", whereas as much as he will do his homework and indeed pick up names on the park, he might not be on first name terms with all the Luton players.
If the opposing team already think there is going to be favouritism based on the fact you know some players names, then that is a mind set that they themselves will have to deal with.
its whatever works for you I guess. Communication is a big part of my own game.

Use player names whenever possible. Learn players names and use them in games to aid match control. Asking a player for his name so you can use it is not a bad idea.

Personally I would (and have) wind up players by saying the named player was my best mate/drinking buddy/son/son-in-law, etc. and asked them if they wanted to join our gang. This really only works where I do know players on the unnamed players team

Last edited:
Not a problem at all, maybe less effective on a Sunday morning where the players see it (wrongly) as you'knowing' the other team, but even so is perfectly normal.

I have no issue with a player using my name, provided they only use when it we are within normal talking distance, and likewise I won't shout their name across the pitch, so first names are always used at the right time. If you think at Supply League we will referee the same teams 2 or 3 times a season, it's fairly easy to get into first name terms, and I make a habit of using the captain's first name throughout the match, as they are identified on the teamsheet.

I don't personally see it as an issue .. so long as your not seen chatting to them for 10 minutes before the game laughing and joking etc

Wish I knew more names. The few captains I've done multiple times I've learned and it makes such a differnence. As above they are much likely to shout "ref + abusive" if you have been calling him Andy for 25 minutes.

Not sure about taking a shot in warm up though - but you know that. I once brought down a rocket from the keeper to the center circle with the most brilliant touch I have ever produced (pure luck - I am nothing but ****e as a player) - it was just before kick off and I felt like I could walk on water. Proceeded to get confused on the first throw in direction ;-)....karma.

I remember a manager complaining about this at half time once. I said "Pete, I've been calling you by your name since I got here so what's the problem?". He was actually a decent manager who just wanted a whinge!

No issues with calling them by their name. One of the tips I got given when I started lining on my supply league was to memorize the names of the left backs, that way you use their name when you tell them where you want them for throw ins.

have to say that was my first negative reaction to it, maybe in hindsight i could be a little more discrete about it and spare it for the one on one conversations, or passing comments.

on the subject of do's and don't with clubs ...

don't accept a lift to the game! had a ref do it once, mentioned it at society - got the good book thrown at him a think!!

I have had it a few times myself 'lovely Charlie, will see you at the ground - oh I have noticed you live XYZ - I come past there, i'll pick you up if you want?' always responded with a polite 'that is very kind of you, but I have *m ake up a reason not too* so will drive myself - thanks all the same'

agreed @Charlie Jones ar

also, dont share a changing room with a team ...
Arrived sunday to find the only available changing area was with the home team (or away i guess! but i chose home as it was the first door i came to)
Happy to share it getting into my kit, but opted to take all my stuff out with me to avoid having to go in there after the game.
Now i'm familiar with this particular ground i'll know in future to go kitted up.
Manager had told me in the week that there were changing facilities there... which was true... just not seperate !
There were no issues, but you just never know

Back