A&H

C4 before penalty?

Tom_R

Level 5 Referee
Can a player be shown a C4 caution before a penalty or should this go down as something else? e.g C1 AA. I can't find anything in LOTG.

The Referee Store
I would think it depends on what a player does. In general, given the ceremonial nature of a PK, I would imagine in the real world anything that actually creates a delay probably fits better in another bucket--most likely USB or dissent (e.g., from kicking the ball away).

But a PK is a restart, so there is no reason it couldn't happen (e.g. the shooter just standing there for an excesively long time, a defender refusing to leave the PA, or a GK refusing to take his position on the goal line).

I think a better question would be to the OP @Tom_R ...

What has prompted the question and why would you think that c4 couldn't apply before a penalty?

I can answer it easily in one word (yes) but then you don't really gain anything from that so I think some background to the question would help the forum address your post in a better way for you 👍

I think a better question would be to the OP @Tom_R ...

What has prompted the question and why would you think that c4 couldn't apply before a penalty?

I can answer it easily in one word (yes) but then you don't really gain anything from that so I think some background to the question would help the forum address your post in a better way for you 👍
I had a game charity game round of 16 in a national cup competition so a big game. I was in the middle with 2 good friends on the line. I felt I managed the game well throughout. As expected the last 10 get more intense with one team a goal down. Had a corner last min of injury time defending team wins the ball back plays a long ball and counters. I give a penalty to the team trailing by a goal in the last seconds of the game. A defender picks up the ball and drop kicks it: I show a yellow. After the game my friend/ assistant says I have to put it through as AA not C4 because you can't delay restart with a penalty. I've never heard this before so I wanted to query it.

I've heard more than one premier League official say kicking the ball isn't delaying the restart on ceremonial restarts...
Of course that's rubbish.

If he's kicking the ball away showing frustration/aggression (trying to think how AA would come into someone's think ing) then it could easily go down as dissent.

I had a game charity game round of 16 in a national cup competition so a big game. I was in the middle with 2 good friends on the line. I felt I managed the game well throughout. As expected the last 10 get more intense with one team a goal down. Had a corner last min of injury time defending team wins the ball back plays a long ball and counters. I give a penalty to the team trailing by a goal in the last seconds of the game. A defender picks up the ball and drop kicks it: I show a yellow. After the game my friend/ assistant says I have to put it through as AA not C4 because you can't delay restart with a penalty. I've never heard this before so I wanted to query it.
So this is one of those cases where you have to kind of determine the players motive..
Was it in anger/ frustration at you, and your decision then that is dissent so, step 5 and below a sin bin.
The only other option I see is a C4 for delaying a restart. A penalty is a restart, and for the fact that he hadn't asked the ball away you'd have all been ready to take the pen much sooner so the restart is delayed.

Yeah, I don't see any way that could be AA unless maaaaaybe he's directly kicking it at an opponent to try and wind them up? And there's a very narrow window for a YC there, more likely that an unprovoked and out-of-play aggressive punt of the ball at someone is worth a red.

But agree with James, C2 dissent and a sin bin or C4 delaying the restart both seem far more likely to me.

At our level it's a sin bin for the few remaining seconds left.

Needed but pointless in reality as the player is going to miss very little time.

Back