A&H

Busy but cold weekend......

mikedn

Referee/Mentor
Saturday and Sunday(3G pitch anyway) games are on but looks like it's going to be a jolly cold two games, better than the rain might take a "cup a soup" and a kettle along and have a brew up at half time.

The Referee Store
I always take a flask. A lot of the time there is nothing where I ref so a hot drink in this weather can be amazing. It also means I can warm my hands at the end of the game so I can then untie my boots!

I always take a flask. A lot of the time there is nothing where I ref so a hot drink in this weather can be amazing. It also means I can warm my hands at the end of the game so I can then untie my boots!
I have a pair of black woollen fingerless gloves which keeps my hands nice and warm when temperatures in the minus, even had a few players say they were going to get some.....
Looking out my window now, everything is frosted must be about -2, but my game not till 2 pm so should warm up.......

My game went on this morning. There were 3 games scheduled at the same time. One ref decided his pitch was too hard. Myself and the other ref decided it was same as a hard september pitch. As it turns out by 10.30 Sun came out the pitch became softer and two of the three games took place. It was the longest pitch inspection I have done. Lots of diagonal running and sharp twisty turns. Short sprints coming to a standing stop and no Issues. The goalmouths were soft and there was no sharpness to the ground. Game went ahead and no issues. A few players slipped but they were wearing blades rather than studs. Didnt slip once. I allways running gloves but sometimes they are not good enough.

I called mine off this afternoon as half the pitch was in the shade and frozen solid, the other 3 matches went ahead.

Apparently the league had sent someone down in the morning to inspect the pitches...

I don't hold much hope for tomorrow's games as it's going to be colder

Saturday and Sunday(3G pitch anyway) games are on but looks like it's going to be a jolly cold two games, better than the rain might take a "cup a soup" and a kettle along and have a brew up at half time.
Today's game quite eventful.... pitch soft in places but playable, first half uneventful good football being played and home side go into the break 1-0 up thanks to an own goal.
Second half more dramatic, ball went off to what i thought was a corner and linesman flagging it was goal kick he was closer than me ( club linesman had a very good first half with him) so i gave goal kick away side not happy, one player got yellow for dissent........ while later a player committed a tackle to which i awarded a free kick and he got yellow for his troubles.... home player got yellow for abusing my linesman.... things started to settle down good football again and away side equalise 1-1.
Home player gets tackled to which i deemed fair but he jumps up and says " Call yourself a ref you f****** knobhead " Straight red and he was walking.......
Five minutes to go and away side scored and win the match 2-1.....
On the way back to changing room i was met by the player i sent off and he says " i'm sorry for that ref, i just got frustrated no offence mate" So i said " Thanks for that, no offence taken but i'm still sending in the report". And he thought by apologising i wasn't going to send in his red card...... um wrong.

turned up for my 10-30 kick off yesterday morning after having received a text from the home team manager saying that the groundsman said it was ''frozen but in sunlight and happy to play''
There were meant to be 2 games at this ground and i'd apparently passed the other ref on my way in, as he was leaving. He'd quite rightly called his game off as it was rock solid and slippery, and i quickly followed suit.
The players appreciated the fact that i had actually put my kit on and at least looked like i was willing to consider the situation, rather than the other chap who turned up ''looking like he was still in his pyjamas''
little things i suppose, and to be honest i hadnt given it consideration from that point of view ... i was just being an optimist that there was the tiniest chance of the game going ahead

I had the same, got a call from the away manager asking if I was the ref, there'd been an accident so was a bit behind schedule and the home team weren't there yet.

Arrived at about 9:45 and one of the managers from the other game said their ref wouldn't be there until ten, but he was happy for me to inspect the pitch.

Easiest decision I've made, put my boots on, but there was little point both pitches were rock hard, with plenty of sharp edges etc.

Then had to stop on my way home as there was a chap in his pajamas on the wrong side of the railings on the medway bridge.

Then at 11:30 my last minute women's game which was a replacement for my original that got postponed also got called off by the council due to frozen pitch.

I had the same, got a call from the away manager asking if I was the ref, there'd been an accident so was a bit behind schedule and the home team weren't there yet.

Arrived at about 9:45 and one of the managers from the other game said their ref wouldn't be there until ten, but he was happy for me to inspect the pitch.

Easiest decision I've made, put my boots on, but there was little point both pitches were rock hard, with plenty of sharp edges etc.

Then had to stop on my way home as there was a chap in his pajamas on the wrong side of the railings on the medway bridge.

Then at 11:30 my last minute women's game which was a replacement for my original that got postponed also got called off by the council due to frozen pitch.

ahh just throw in a little life saving in there to liven up an otherwise dull morning ! :)

ahh just throw in a little life saving in there to liven up an otherwise dull morning ! :)

Unfortunately I don't think so, by the time I'd stopped (took a minute to register what I'd seen) and called the police he and his car had gone.

A car was later recovered on the opposite side of the bridge to where I'd seen him and they had divers in the river searching.

I recon that people stopping made him move to the other side so he could get on with it without being interrupted.

Unfortunately I don't think so, by the time I'd stopped (took a minute to register what I'd seen) and called the police he and his car had gone.

A car was later recovered on the opposite side of the bridge to where I'd seen him and they had divers in the river searching.

I recon that people stopping made him move to the other side so he could get on with it without being interrupted.

thats a less happier tale then , but at least you tried... sorry fella

Was that the ref from @richard ramjane other pitch on his way home?

Back