A&H

Brentford Vs Bournemouth

Mooseybaby

Retired big bad baldy in all black!
Seen a lot of Brentford games over the years and lived in Bournemouth for the past 15 years, so guess I have a soft sport for both sides...

Brentford's penalty...

Can see why it was given on isolation as the defender does wraps his arm around Ivan Toney although Toney makes the most of the contact, however completely understand why Bournemouth and their manager Gary O'Neil were so annoyed as Toney clearly locks Marcos Senesi's arm and effectively drags the defender into the area with him prior to the penalty.

Did VAR just look at the defender's actions in the area or was Tony's actions in the build up effectively ignored as not clear and obvious?

The Referee Store
Did VAR just look at the defender's actions in the area or was Tony's actions in the build up effectively ignored as not clear and obvious?
Under VAR protocols, a foul in the attacking phase of play (“APP”) leading to a PK (or goal) is checked. I didn’t see this play, and you don’t say if the PK was given on the field or on a recommendation feom the VAR.

if called on the field, the VAR can only recommend a on field review of the foul in the APP was a clear and obvious foul (or if the foul called was clearly and obviously wrong).

If the VAR sees a clear and obvious PK not called by the R, it gets a bit mushier. After identifying the PK, the R will check the APP. But can only make a recommendation for review if the foul in the APP is C&O. But where it gets mushy is when the R makes his on field review. My understanding is that once at the monitor, the R can take action on what he sees. So, as I understand it, the R could say “thanks VAR, you’re right that was a C&O PK, but I also have a foul by the attacker before the PK, so no PK, FK coming out.”

Tight one for C&O, my call as VAR, Ref go & look at the monitor as the striker initiated the contact.

Back