A&H

Body cams trial

benmc

Level 7 Referee
Anyone have any news on how the body cam trial went at the back end of the season? Or, my realy question, anyone know if the use of them will be allowed more widely?

Thinking about the new points deduction plans in grassroots, they could become an important source of evidence

The Referee Store
I seen a short something in a match programme or maybe an email update. Apparently going well.
I think the rules are it is off unless someone approaches you, then you very obviously flick it on. A light activates and usually the ball drops and the player backs off. While most assume it is on all the time.

Unless I'm forced to, I won't ever be wearing one
It's just another attempt to distract from the true fix, which is to apply the LOTG properly on TV so the rest of us can copy
I agree to an extent but in some areas it genuinely is unsafe enough that I would wear one.

I seen a short something in a match programme or maybe an email update. Apparently going well.
I think the rules are it is off unless someone approaches you, then you very obviously flick it on. A light activates and usually the ball drops and the player backs off. While most assume it is on all the time.

It actually is on all the time but it discards the recording unless you hit a button, at which point the last 30 odd seconds and everything that happens after is sent to the servers. It also shows on screen what is being recorded so it's obvious to the player(s).

I just can't see who is going to pay for it.

It actually is on all the time but it discards the recording unless you hit a button, at which point the last 30 odd seconds and everything that happens after is sent to the servers. It also shows on screen what is being recorded so it's obvious to the player(s).

I just can't see who is going to pay for it.
That does not sound cheap, local recording devices aren't that expensive, but record to cloud ones are.

That does not sound cheap, local recording devices aren't that expensive, but record to cloud ones are.
Maybe I'm being naïve but I don't know why, on a local park, I cannot record but teams can. Especially when many teams are happy to clip our mistakes (or sometimes not even mistakes!) for social media

Maybe I'm being naïve but I don't know why, on a local park, I cannot record but teams can. Especially when many teams are happy to clip our mistakes (or sometimes not even mistakes!) for social media
Laws of the game say you aren't allowed. Whereas laws of the game say clubs can is the simple answer.

From a laws of the land point of view, absolutely nothing.

Laws of the game say you aren't allowed. Whereas laws of the game say clubs can is the simple answer.

From a laws of the land point of view, absolutely nothing.
Yeah I knew it was a LOTG thing but when it comes to any trial or plans to change the laws, the FA seems to be doing it’s usual job of getting caught up in really not that important details

You can record in a local park just not by wearing a device on your person as the laws of the game don’t allow it outside of this trial.

In theory, providing you get the teams permission, there’s nothing to stop you setting up your own match recording off the field of play just as the teams can. You look a little strange doing it though

You can record in a local park just not by wearing a device on your person as the laws of the game don’t allow it outside of this trial.

In theory, providing you get the teams permission, there’s nothing to stop you setting up your own match recording off the field of play just as the teams can. You look a little strange doing it though
Wouldn't need teams permission in a public place. My point is body cams are only really deterring criminal acts of violence, these are most likely to happen in grassroots games mostly on public land. All this faff with cloud storage etc is unnecessary in most of the cases where they make sense

Wouldn't need teams permission in a public place. My point is body cams are only really deterring criminal acts of violence, these are most likely to happen in grassroots games mostly on public land. All this faff with cloud storage etc is unnecessary in most of the cases where they make sense
The reason cloud storage is needed is there have been multiple cases in other areas where bodycams are worn (police, door staff, traffic wardens, etc) where the person committing the assault has then ripped off the camera. No camera = no evidence. There's also potentially an evidential element as well. If it is uploaded directly to cloud then it can't have been tampered with, whereas if on a local SD card it could in theory be edited before being sent to the authorities.

I bought a super cheap mini body cam for £29.95 off Amazon, this one records 5 minute chunks, so you get c20 files, which can be downloaded on to a PC/laptop after the game. For something relatively cheap, I would wear it & pay for it, the audio is excellent & the video good. Fed up with managers/players saying "I didn't swear at you...." or 'local parks' managers behaving like Klopp/Arteta/Guardiola/Mourinho and abusing the AR without consequence. The deterrent I believe, is the recording of what was said would be enough to moderate this behaviour.

I bought a super cheap mini body cam for £29.95 off Amazon, this one records 5 minute chunks, so you get c20 files, which can be downloaded on to a PC/laptop after the game. For something relatively cheap, I would wear it & pay for it, the audio is excellent & the video good. Fed up with managers/players saying "I didn't swear at you...." or 'local parks' managers behaving like Klopp/Arteta/Guardiola/Mourinho and abusing the AR without consequence. The deterrent I believe, is the recording of what was said would be enough to moderate this behaviour.
Be careful operating outside of the trial. We're not yet given green light to wear a body cam yet and only those included in the trial are authorised to do so.

Point well made, I have used only in my pocket, but only interested in sound quality & to use to work on my tone & way I communicate with players. How long does a trial need?

Back