A&H

Benoit Assou-ekotto

TopCat

Level 7 Referee
This got a straight red.(skip to 5 min 48 sorry couldn't find indivisual clip.) Thoughts?

The Referee Store
Certainly not a straight red. Clean tackle, but maybe a tad reckless (could have caught Mbappe's right foot quite badly after the tackle; he didn't), so you could justify a yellow. Mbappe's last tumble sure seemed to take a great effort...

Certainly not a straight red. Clean tackle, but maybe a tad reckless (could have caught Mbappe's right foot quite badly after the tackle; he didn't), so you could justify a yellow. Mbappe's last tumble sure seemed to take a great effort...
Personally I thought it was a great tackle I wouldn't even have given a free kick (dons tin hat)

Personally I thought it was a great tackle I wouldn't even have given a free kick (dons tin hat)
You can certainly make that case. Assou-Ekotto looked in control too, he seemed to read Mbappe's movement well. On the other side: not much needed for such a tackle to go wrong.

Hmm - I think I can understand why the ref went RC - the leading foot is off the ground and he gets a bit of player on the follow through - but as others have said BAE looks in control. I think the ref could have gone YC here for reckless on the basis of that follow through - red seems super harsh.

No red for me. Yes he got a bit of the player but football is a contact sport and he seemed in control.

Very harsh red, but free kick and caution for me. Yes, he has won the ball but that means nothing these days. Tackling from that angle it would be nigh on impossible to not also make contact with the opponent

Jumped and landed with his full weight on the opponents lower leg trapped between his legs. The attacker's leg, if it actually got trapped, would have broken. So there is definite risk. Amazed that some don't think it was a foul. I'm happy with a red. Would have accepted a caution though

Jumped and landed with his full weight on the opponents lower leg trapped between his legs. The attacker's leg, if it actually got trapped, would have broken. So there is definite risk. Amazed that some don't think it was a foul. I'm happy with a red. Would have accepted a caution though
You make it sound like he ended up sat on top of his legs!

No, but he was still in the air when he hit the legs - and the tackle was such that the opponent's foot was getting caught between the defender's. Which significantly increases the risk.

Back