A&H

Ball pressure

Murri O

Of late I've been arriving at games to be given the match balls and they seem to be rock hard. To that end I've purchased a ball gauge that checks the pressure but also has a release that allows air out.

Today my gauge arrived in the post so I checked the LOTG and found the allowable range to be from 8.5 psi to 15.6 psi.

The upper limit almost twice the lower limit. At 9 psi it feels fine with just enough give to be able to head comfortably. (Important for the younger players in my opinion.) 15.6 psi seems way over the top.

Any thoughts on why or what you prefer?

Last edited:
The Referee Store
I don't feel it is a referee's job to decide this. I too have a pressure gauge, and always check the ball(s) I am given before the game. If they are under inflated (very common). then I will inflate them to just over the minimum which is as you say 8.5 psi (as I say 600 g/cm squared). If the are already over the minimum, so long as they are not over the max (1100 g/cm sq, and it has never happened yet) then I leave it, since it is already legal and no reason for me to change it. Basically, by my thinking, the home team supply the balls and so long as they are legal there is nothing for me to decide.

Of course the Laws do not say who makes this decision, and if you want to give yourself extra responsibility then there is nothing in the LOTG to stop you. But look at it this way, the Laws also allow a wide range for size of the pitch (50 - 100 yards wide, 100 to 130 yards long) do we as referees insist on setting this to the figure we prefer? Of course not, this is the decision of the home team (or in most cases a council groundsman) so why not leave the ball (so long as it is legal) to them too? Then it becomes a tactical choice for the home team and not something else we have to stress about.

I tend to find a ball towards the lower end of the pressure range is quite acceptable. Like Ganajin I wouldn't make an issue as long as the pressure is within the range although I might reduce the pressure on a particularly hard pitch.

and if given 2 balls i make sure that i even up the pressures if they differ, tending to go with the lower one as long as its legal

The important bit is that they are checked. That way no one can say 'this ones flat'- if you haven't checked you have no comeback

Most balls have the recommended pressure printed next to the valve, and the range of this will be much less than that of the LOTG.

I used to use the 'thumb test' - once I bought a gauge I was very surprised at just how hard the minimum required pressure is! I also keep it about the minimum typically, players don't like playing with a rock.

you tend to know straight away if a ball is ok for use or not, not that I would 100% take their call on it but I am in a habit of simply going "ball ok?" before I toss the coin and after hand shake with captains? If both went straight away, "bit flat to me ref" then there is a very high chance I would ask for a replacement/pump up and so on...
I suppose each to own but if its a muddy park from exp the players prefer a harder ball as it just might bounce or roll a bit easier than a softer one which has more chance of simply going, thud.
I have a gauge but I be lucky if its been used more than a dozen times in 25 years.

you tend to know straight away if a ball is ok for use or not, not that I would 100% take their call on it but I am in a habit of simply going "ball ok?" before I toss the coin and after hand shake with captains? If both went straight away, "bit flat to me ref" then there is a very high chance I would ask for a replacement/pump up and so on...
I suppose each to own but if its a muddy park from exp the players prefer a harder ball as it just might bounce or roll a bit easier than a softer one which has more chance of simply going, thud.
I have a gauge but I be lucky if its been used more than a dozen times in 25 years.

Well I can say for certain that if I was observing a referee who asked for the ball to be pumped up or changed at the hand shake and toss then I wouldn't be impressed. That kind of thing should be sorted out way before that stage.

The ball could have been ok when first presented to you, slow puncture ? It might be as ref you were ok with the ball then both captains say no, so why run risk of upsetting them before you even start the game. I think what I meant, was to be, within reason, flexible.

Buying a ball pump and a pressure gauge saves you so much hassle as a referee.

Balls in my game are always at a value of 10 on a ball pressure gauge (inset) - and this is quite a popular value across the refereeing community.

"AR: What do you want it at mate?" "10 please" - job done.

Attachments

• BallPressureGuage.jpg
    BallPressureGuage.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 8
If it is legal I tend to use it. That said, 10 rarely raises a complaint. At the lower and higher ends of the legal pressure, there is usually moaning. I get fed up of moaning quite quickly so it is often worth adjusting accordingly.

I
Buying a ball pump and a pressure gauge saves you so much hassle as a referee.

Balls in my game are always at a value of 10 on a ball pressure gauge (inset) - and this is quite a popular value across the refereeing community.

"AR: What do you want it at mate?" "10 please" - job done.

Each to own but as referee, I would take care of ball pressure , not AR.
If am going to care enough to check and adjust, then am doing it!

I

Each to their own indeed. Whilst myself and my senior assistant sort out teamsheets etc..., the junior assistant can check the balls etc... This is quite normal practice in the UK.

I

Interesting. Common practice in my area would be that the 'junior' AR would take care of this whilst Referee and 'Senior' are copying names from team sheets into notebooks etc. What level of support / involvement do you like from your NARs during the 90 minutes?

So junior AR does the ball and afterall as referee it not how you want it so you end up doing it anyway!
Or two mins in its clear you have to change ball, are you really going to point at the junior AR and go, sorry lads that was him?
your the ref, your ball.

Interesting. Common practice in my area would be that the 'junior' AR would take care of this whilst Referee and 'Senior' are copying names from team sheets into notebooks etc. What level of support / involvement do you like from your NARs during the 90 minutes?

I suppose everyone has their own routine. Am taking responsibilty for the ball though. Again, i personally dont do the copying names into book thing. Whatever works I guess

Back