Australia vs Syria - WCQ - penalty decision

Penalty?

• Yes

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 75.0%

• Total voters
The Referee Store
I think you can make arguments for and against.
But lord, I thought it was brilliant defending. What I see is the defender jumps earlier and higher, clearly and cleanly wins the ball. In the act of jumping his rump and his arm make contact with the attacker. This knocks the attacker off balance and inhibits his jump. The attacker flails to make the most of it. The contact of the rump is certainly not an offence for me. The question is the arm. The defender's arm is down, it is in a natural position for jumping, maybe a little push outwards... but consistent with jumping motion.

Not enough for an offence for me. If this is a foul in law then it really limits defenders' options for challenging for the ball - no wonder there are more headed goals!

For me, out of 10 refs, I think 2 would give it. 2 would think its brave refereeing. The other 8 would say its just a jump.

That jump/contact happens on nearly every ball in air in the box. I'm not giving that.

My guess is the that the box was surprisingly empty and the ref was watching those two players closely with the ball coming in. Since there was contact and red made the most of it he's reacted instead of thinking about it.

No way. Never. Not on my football pitch it isn't.
Player can feel very aggrieved at that decision. Its a contact sport at the end of the day and I cant see any foul contact there.

playing devil's advocate (because that does serve a useful education purpose sometimes) - how about the fact that there was a shoulder and knee in the back (from turning side on to the attacker), the defender was jumping forwards and there was sufficient impact that the forward was clearly knocked midair, as seen by the changing direction and arched back?

If you are having to justify such awards to make them fit the crime then I don't think its justified as awarding

I taking a guess most open minded neutral folk will take 1 look at the clip and go, oh really, maybe a push but a bit harsh.

to have to dissect the decision into well, what if this and what if that and look at the angle they were both at in mid air, makes it seem to me that under microscopic analysis it might be given, a lot of my game is based on expectation levels, and in my own game, folk would not be expecting a fk/pk there, again though, this is this referee on a huge stage and if that's his interpretation of what constitutes a foul then he cant really be faulted.

playing devil's advocate (because that does serve a useful education purpose sometimes) - how about the fact that there was a shoulder and knee in the back (from turning side on to the attacker), the defender was jumping forwards and there was sufficient impact that the forward was clearly knocked midair, as seen by the changing direction and arched back?
Yes, I follow... but perhaps it was the attacker that turned back-on to the defender. If they had been side-to-side there would be no question that it was fair.. make sense?

From the camera angle it just looks like a run of the mill contest for a ball in the air.

There does seem to be a bit of a push, so While think it’s a soft penalty, can’t fault the ref for his interpretation, added in we have the benefit of replays etc.

Every time two players challenge for the ball in the air, if they both get close enough to stand a chance of getting their head on the ball, there's going to be bodily contact. A challenge has to be, at a minimum, careless for it to be an offence. I don't see that challenge as showing either "a lack of attention or consideration" and I don't see that the defender has "act[ed] without precaution", things which are required by the law for it to reach even the level of careless, so for me there's no foul.

I wouldn't have given it there was contact but 2 players jumping close together means that there will be contact and contact doesn't always mean a foul, but in real time with atmosphere in the refs opinion I can see why he has given it.

Back