A&H

Assistant for the first time

S

Sam Neal

Been appointed to a game this Sunday as an assistant. Besides being a club assistant I don't have any experience so any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers

The Referee Store
I did my first one recently too. Had the guy who runs the mentoring scheme at the game and he gave me some good tips.

First, the basics. Remember your signals and try to make sure you have the flag in the correct hand. Practice your crabbing. Also try and make good eye contact with the referee when you go to give a decision. Listen to the briefing the referee gives before the game and clarify any points you are not sure on. Let him know its your first line. I was on the opposite line to where the teams had set up camp, so ended up not having to worry about doing the subs.

Now for the advice that I got after the game:

Give yourself a second to make the decisions especially on offside. Take a breath, get the flag into your right hand and then put it it. I was told two of my offside flags looked a little 'frantic' which was very fair.

Even if the play is at the other end of the field, if you are level with the second last defender, don't be flat footed, keep on your toes. Basically, it's about getting into the right habits early, I was told, if you do a line at a higher level, the ball can move very quickly into your zone, the players are fitter and faster and if you are on your heels, then you can be playing catch up quite easily.

I found the advice to be very useful and something I'll use as focus pints for my next line.

Just to add:
1.)When @Justylove says breathe then flag, the easiest way to flag is to think wait, wait flag (for me anyway).
2.)DON'T flag on the move, it looks awful, try to determine how long your flag needs to stay up for depending on how fast the second rear most defender is running.
3.)Don't forget to follow the ball all the way to the goal line.
4.) You are there to assist the referee so if you think he has missed something, help him out unless his pre match says not to.
5.) make sure that your flag is unfurled all the time that you are outside.

I won't go into details about what Darren England said at my RA meeting but if it is a close offside keep your flag down because there is a small delay between your eyes seeing the players and your brain registering it.
Good luck. What is it for? (Ie. league, cup) :)

My advice would be to take your time - there is no rush at all (unless a player who is offside is about to collide with the GK! ;)).

I ran the line for a former Premier League assistant referee during pre-season, and he said to always make sure there is eye contact between you and the referee (this us very important if there is instances where you see something the referee doesn't see, or vice-versa).

Just one last thing though Sam... Have fun! ;)

I won't go into details about what Darren England said at my RA meeting but if it is a close offside keep your flag down because there is a small delay between your eyes seeing the players and your brain registering it.

flash-lag effect - tough one to get to grips with, methinks, since you're essentially being told not to flag what your eyes see and your brain is telling you to flag

http://www.brainbugs.org/FlashLagEffect.php

flash-lag effect - tough one to get to grips with, methinks, since you're essentially being told not to flag what your eyes see and your brain is telling you to flag

http://www.brainbugs.org/FlashLagEffect.php

First try - on fire!

ypVu2m04poOH8A1UrepD.png

That site caused mcafee to lose its poop.

EDIT: to clarify mcafee is my anti virus software, not my dog or something :D

Yep, has to be first try... first try of today...

h23DtWDda9zKCPnmyg6P.png

I'm getting good at this :)

Back