A&H

Am I imagining things? Law 11

CapnBloodbeard

RefChat Addict
Am I losing my mind, or has one of the changes this season to basically mean that if a defender makes a move towards a ball, even if they don't control it (eg a desperate lunge to stop a ball almost out of reach), that resets offside?

Any clear guidance on this, from IFAB, videos anything like that? I can see how the LOTG can be read several ways on this.

The Referee Store
That's not a change this season.

That's a change that was put in 3-4 years ago with the distinction of deflection and deliberate play.

I'm assuming that you mean "a defender makes a move towards a ball" and touches it.

Anyway, I'm not aware of anything coming directly from the IFAB on this but FIFA did issue some guidelines a while back (not sure exactly when, I have a copy but there's no date on it) which were also copied verbatim and disseminated by UEFA as follows:

Deliberate Play: Player moving towards the ball; The ball is expected; A deliberate act; Enough time to play; Balanced and ready to play; The ball is properly played

Deflection: Ball moving towards the player; Finds the ball coming against him; An instinctive reaction attempt to play the ball; Not enough time to play the ball; Has to find his balance first; The ball deflects from the player

I have to say, I'm struggling a little to find justification in the wording of the law for all of the factors listed above but on the other hand, as Capn Bloodbeard says, the laws themselves give almost no guidance on how to distinguish between a deliberate play and a deflection.

That's not a change this season.

That's a change that was put in 3-4 years ago with the distinction of deflection and deliberate play.
I'm positive we were talking about it on here with the additional clarification in the new laws on what a 'save' is

I had a very difficult one recently where the ball was played toward a defender, he adjusted his legs consciously to try and play it, but only succeeded in having it clip both heels and then continue on roughly the same path. CAR flagged for the offside, I let play go on with the intention of speaking to him and then the ball went out for a GK anyway. I went with that, but it still caused a bit of a fuss.

I'm positive we were talking about it on here with the additional clarification in the new laws on what a 'save' is
The wording on "save" was clarified in the Laws, but the interpretation (at least, that which has been instructed in both UEFA and CONCACAF) hasn't changed. A player has always been allowed to make a "save" (as long as the ball is likely going into the goal and the play is "close" -- determination of the referee of course -- to said goal).

This is definitely a tough one to judge. Last season, in one of my games (if I recall correctly), a ball was headed across the box by an attacker; a defender standing pretty much on the penalty spot attempted a clearance and completely fluffed it, simply flicking the ball into the path of an attacker behind him, who converted easily. Defender's CAR raised flag; my first thought was goal because of the deliberate attempt to play the ball, and I saw nothing to suggest that the scorer had, in law, interfered with the opponent. Neither was it a 'save'. Yes, the striker was close to the defender (placing a psychological burden that may have contributed to the poor clearance), but he hadn't challenged for the ball (that itself can be hard to discern, as a player is rarely doing nothing), wasn't touching the defender, and hadn't touched the ball until the defender's miskick. Obviously I went over to have a word and asked the CAR which player he had flagged; he said that a couple of players had been offside, including the one who scored. I told him I would accept his decision, since I couldn't be sure whether the attacker who had headed the ball initially wasn't offside, but explained that for me the second attacker hadn't been offside due to the defender's kick. On balance, I probably would have been well within my rights to overrule the CAR that day, but hopefully the CAR learnt something for his next outing.

I understand the theory quite well, but in my opinion the interpretation of 'interfering with an opponent' remains fraught with difficulty in practice, as a player's intentions/movements aren't always clear.

Back