A&H

Allocation of Fixtures

Glass_Knees

I live on the border of 2 county's. If I was to do a referee course within county A would I be able to referee games that occur in county B?

The Referee Store
The short answer is yes.

Slightly longer answer is Some leagues cross over county FA boundaries. And some areas like where I live have multiple county FAs. My way you can be Cheshire or Liverpool, this applies to clubs as well as referees.

Whoever you do your course with will be your parent county FA. Although I believe you can apply to be transferred to another county FA with legitimate reason.
You can have also have affilliated membership to multiple county FAs which would allow you to officiate in eithers county competitions with your parent FA taking presidence over the others.

Thanks for the info. I say it because the only way I can do a course is going through one of the county FAs because the other county only has courses nearly a 100 miles away. But the county that i live in and is easier for me to attend matches is the one that I wouldn't be doing the course through. Do you think it's possible to request for matches in my home county straight away?

Possibly after you've completed your initial 6 games - as the mentors will be from that area.
What I'd recommend is ringing the county FA and speaking to the RDO (referee development officer) who will be best placed to advise you on the best course of action.
I honestly dont see why it would be an issue following the initial 6 games.

Its not the County's that assign you to matches, but leagues.*

Do the course wherever is most convenient for you and then get in touch with the league that is most convenient to you. These may be in different counties - no problem.

I wouldn't even worry about the 6 initial games being in county - the chances of getting a mentor for the games is small (non-existent for all six.) Just get out there and start ref-ing

(* OK, county cups (& some higher leagues?) will be appointed by the County, but new ref's shouldn't worry about them at the start of their careers. Just find a local league and start building up experience)

Its not the County's that assign you to matches, but leagues.*

Not quite correct. Our leagues down here pay a referee appointments fee to the County FA, who then assign referees to our games.

Not quite correct. Our leagues down here pay a referee appointments fee to the County FA, who then assign referees to our games.

Interesting. A Couple of counties east of you, and the county has no hand in assigning ref's (at least at the "in amongst the weeds" of grass roots level that I officiate in) The various local leagues have their own referee appointment secretaries.

I suppose the point to the OP is to just get qualified wherever is most convenient, and then start ref-ing wherever is most convenient.

Reactions: DB
You can register with two counties which helps :) I'm with both the RN and Cornwall :)

I did my course in Cambridgeshire but I am Suffolk based. I let Suffolk know about my first 6 games as well as Cambridgeshire but had no observer at all. Last season I was registered with Cambs but my parent county was Suffolk. Did games in both counties. This year I am registered in Suffolk but I have also registered with Cambridgeshire, Norfolk and Essex as I am close to all of the other 3 counties. My biggest ambition for next season is too meet one of those essex boys who lurk on this forum!

I think i should register in Essex this season, looks like the players get away with all sorts! They need knocking down a peg or two IMO!
I'm in the Manor next week, i'll check some pre-seasons out!!

If I was to register with both counties then, do they take into account distance when assigning refs? Being on the border means that some matches would be a long trip

Probably but there are also games in my county which are long trips, but you choose the leagues you want to officiate in so you would be on leagues which had the least travelling.

Back