A&H

Age at promotion?

UKColt

Hi all, first time poster here!

I started refereeing when I was 16, then took a break when I went to uni and have just started back up this year at the age of 28 (29 today, in fact!). I've had really good feedback from teams that I've refereed this year which is what encouraged me to apply for promotion.

I'm keen to keep going as high as I can (basically, until someone tells me to stop!) but am a bit worried that I've started too late with it. I was just wondering when the other people here who have been promoted did it, and how many years it took them to get where they are now?

Thanks in advance!

The Referee Store
Hi all, first time poster here!

I started refereeing when I was 16, then took a break when I went to uni and have just started back up this year at the age of 28 (29 today, in fact!). I've had really good feedback from teams that I've refereed this year which is what encouraged me to apply for promotion.

I'm keen to keep going as high as I can (basically, until someone tells me to stop!) but am a bit worried that I've started too late with it. I was just wondering when the other people here who have been promoted did it, and how many years it took them to get where they are now?

Thanks in advance!

You are never too old mate! Personally I believe you can go as far as your ambition and hard work will take you. I started 'late as well' at the young tender age ;) of 29, so far (knock on wood) every year I've applied for promotion and passed. So go for it, your advantage my friend would be "hopefully" a cooler head when dealing with some incidents as hopefully life would have taught you a lesson or two.

Welcome to the club matey

Oh and another thing: Don't let anyone ever tell you, oh you are too old and that's the highest you can possibly aim for because of your age! That is never a judging factor, your abilities are, you knowledge and application of the law and how much are you willing to work to reach that target you have in mind.

Sorry for the rant, but I've been told that on a few sparse occasions and I am willing to defy the odds!!!

Realistically you aren't going to get to FIFA as the cut off age is 37, but I started around the same age as you and spent 5 years as a level 4 followed by 5 years as a level 3.

You've actually got a fairly similar story to me - I too qualified in my teens, gave it up for uni and then got back to it at about 25. I'm almost exactly 28 and a half now and hopefully just about to be awarded my level 5.

Theoretically you can go at about a level a year if your standard increases consistently. In reality, I understand it's not uncommon to be kept at L5 for a few years and pretty rare to go all the way through to 3 at a level/year. I think there are huge benefits to the promotion scheme regardless of waht your final aims are, so best of luck with it!

Thanks for the replies all, good to hear of people in similar spots to me. Getting back into it has sort of made me annoyed at myself for wasting time in my 20s when I could have been doing it but c'est la vie!

Looking forward to getting started on the promotion trail!

Please excuse my ignorance over here we only have -

Junior
Intermediate
Championship
Premiership

what are the different levels?

Took up the whistle 7 years ago following a long playing career in and around the levels I am about to officiate. Messed about for first 3 years thinking I was still a player who referees. Last 3 seasons have been fantastic with year on year promotions since the penny dropped. I am a referee who once played. Huge light bulb moment for me.

Please excuse my ignorance over here we only have -

Junior
Intermediate
Championship
Premiership

what are the different levels?

Level 9 - Trainee
Level 8 - Youth(U16, I think)
Level 7 - Junior (You automatically become a 7 when you turn 16)
Level 6 - County
Level 5 - Senior County
Level 4 - Supply League Ref/Contributory Assistant
Level 3 - Contributory Ref/Panel assistant
Level 2 - Panel (Though I think it's split into 2a and 2b as they split refs and assistants at this point)
Level 1 - National List

Oh, I was 40 when I started.

The top table is beyond me but I will be happy with a few years as a 4 with maybe a chance as a 3. But I am under no illusions about the size of the task ahead or the standard of competition I will face

Level 9 - Trainee
Level 8 - Youth(U16, I think)
Level 7 - Junior (You automatically become a 7 when you turn 16)
Level 6 - County
Level 5 - Senior County
Level 4 - Supply League Ref/Contributory Assistant
Level 3 - Contributory Ref/Panel assistant
Level 2 - Panel (Though I think it's split into 2a and 2b as they split refs and assistants at this point)
Level 1 - National List
Thanks @UKC now explain the system? Given Championship over here would be equal to Panel -i.e. what is County/Senior County etc

only difference being Swarbrick was a Level 7, new ref at 29 ... Jonathen Moss at 29 was an equivalent of todays level 5/4

Back