A&H

after two assessments my promotion season is blown

Stuart McKenzie

referee on tour in the summer
1 standard expected and 1 likely to be below standard expected. it was my first game with netural assistants.

I really enjoyed the match felt confident from start to finish

The Referee Store
Firstly - likely to be below...... - youlve not got it yet !

from everything there are good points and areas for development.

First game with NAR - well there's the learning thing. you wll ave done spme good with them and there will be some are's of working witht them to improve on.

It's 6 - 5 not 6 - 1 is it? so come on, there are things that YOU want, or know, but that are not even in the markning guidliens for 6-5, so they can be immediatly dismissed.

how long you been reffing? Do YOU think that within Sussex FA, of all the referee's you are in the group of most expereienced, or consider yourself to be senior ? If so, then you should slip right into 5.

If not, then another season might actually do you better.

I'm 33 and started later in life. Didn't get my 5 last year, and was gutted at the time. But you know what - I'm actually quite pleased now. i;m now seen in the top third of 6's (as opposed to potentially in the bottom 1/4 of 5's!), and leagues give me the better games as they know me. county cups give me the challenging games and I now I can deal with them.

And seen a couple of 6-4's whove been dropped already back to 5! and a couple of 7 - 5 who didnt make it and are either 6 with me, or in 2 cases, back to 7 as didnt make the 1/2 way grade. Makes me giggle a bit remembering their bravado and some who even talked down to me when I was doing their lines but now ..... well, it;s interesting!

So 2 assessments in - 1 good and 1 potentially not so good, bu not received yet. Still another 1 at least to go, potentially 2.

Club marks count for a lot a this level, not just the assessments. So, take the points made, raise your game to them, attend all the meetings, get yourself noticed for the right reasons, take te rest of the season as it comes and hey - at our age we're not in it to pay the motgage are we? (although supply league / vanarama lines are within grasp!)

Firstly - likely to be below...... - youlve not got it yet !

from everything there are good points and areas for development.

First game with NAR - well there's the learning thing. you wll ave done spme good with them and there will be some are's of working witht them to improve on.

It's 6 - 5 not 6 - 1 is it? so come on, there are things that YOU want, or know, but that are not even in the markning guidliens for 6-5, so they can be immediatly dismissed.

how long you been reffing? Do YOU think that within Sussex FA, of all the referee's you are in the group of most expereienced, or consider yourself to be senior ? If so, then you should slip right into 5.

If not, then another season might actually do you better.

I'm 33 and started later in life. Didn't get my 5 last year, and was gutted at the time. But you know what - I'm actually quite pleased now. i;m now seen in the top third of 6's (as opposed to potentially in the bottom 1/4 of 5's!), and leagues give me the better games as they know me. county cups give me the challenging games and I now I can deal with them.

And seen a couple of 6-4's whove been dropped already back to 5! and a couple of 7 - 5 who didnt make it and are either 6 with me, or in 2 cases, back to 7 as didnt make the 1/2 way grade. Makes me giggle a bit remembering their bravado and some who even talked down to me when I was doing their lines but now ..... well, it;s interesting!

So 2 assessments in - 1 good and 1 potentially not so good, bu not received yet. Still another 1 at least to go, potentially 2.

Club marks count for a lot a this level, not just the assessments. So, take the points made, raise your game to them, attend all the meetings, get yourself noticed for the right reasons, take te rest of the season as it comes and hey - at our age we're not in it to pay the motgage are we? (although supply league / vanarama lines are within grasp!)
Spellcheck on @HRW ?

You don't get a sniff of a Vanarama in this neck of the woods until you are L4. 6-->4? Tough jump and not recommended. 7-->5 Tough as well. if there's one thing that makes life easier as a referee, then it's experience. Squeezing too many games in can make you too tired to put in a good performance, so I'd personally recommend 1 level per season.

Going back to the OP... wait until the report comes in and then make sure you put it all right in the 3rd assessment. 1 above expectation report can swing it all if your admin and club marks are good.

No, nor my glasses @Brian Hamilton

I meant that L4 is maybe all us oldies can aim for setting out at our age! And I'd never recommend a double jump. did a FA cup game with a L4 who had never had mass con. Guess what, after all is "I'm holyier than JC himself" we had a mass con. Guy was nearly in tears after the game!

Thanks folks i appreciate it. One thing is for certain i know i am a better referee than i was 3 seasons ago. I intially passed when i was 18 (now 32) had a break with university and sorting out my 9-5 career etc.

Thing is i really enjoyed the game on thursday and was congratulated by both managers at the final whistle.

I let myself down on things i am normally really strong on i.e. whistle tone which was disappointing.

My strengths where my strong arm signals and also with my setting up of free kicks in and around the box. I played some good advantages. i am confident that i will get better because that how life goes. i kind of felt like the welsh after there rugby match. I feel proud to know i put everything into the game as i do with every game i referee.

No, nor my glasses @Brian Hamilton

I meant that L4 is maybe all us oldies can aim for setting out at our age! And I'd never recommend a double jump. did a FA cup game with a L4 who had never had mass con. Guess what, after all is "I'm holyier than JC himself" we had a mass con. Guy was nearly in tears after the game!
@HRW I heard yesterday of a referee who made FL Assistant at 58 after qualifying aged 50. Nothing but ability and fitness will hold anyone back.

As for the L4 who had never seen a mass conf... can't be doing it right :)

There were a number of guys in our 6-5 scheme last year who got an extra assessment in, primarily because they were below the average score needed. There's always time (you have until end of Feb) and plenty of support to get you there.

The guy at 58 getting to L2 was mentioned in our L4 promotion evening a few weeks back, as an example of how age is no barrier to progression. It made a lot of the middle-aged guys in the room, myself included, feel a bit happier considering the mistaken view that refereeing is a young mans game these days.

You're only 32, concentrate on keeping as fit as possible and nailing your last assessment. You'll be fine.

@Stuart McKenzie - you are going 6-5 this year so expect sometimes hard de-briefs. If you first time with NAR, then, of course, your positioning will be off. As @Brian Hamilton will confirm, we see L4 who have no idea where to be with NAR. I spend the first few assessments each new season on explaining basic positional matters to new L4.

Why do you think that you have got a below standard grade. You are marked as a L6, so you must do something wrong to fail to make that grade.
Always take the development points and work out why the assessor picked you up on them. The important thing is that they should not re-occur.

When you get it, please post and the "brains trust" on the forum can offer their advice.

Last edited:
I meant that L4 is maybe all us oldies can aim for setting out at our age!

If you consider yourself "old" at 33 mate - then perhaps you really are...... ;)

@HRW I heard yesterday of a referee who made FL Assistant at 58 after qualifying aged 50. Nothing but ability and fitness will hold anyone back.

Yep.

Andy Halliday, still runs the line in Premiership matches and he's 50 this year.

Mod edit: one day @Kes will remember to use the multi quote feature... And I won't have to merge his posts!!!!! You're welcome mate :)

Last edited by a moderator:
there you are my assessments looks like I will be giving it another go next season. I am happy with the assessors no qualms

Attachments

• mckenzie stuart 5.9.15.docx
    175.2 KB · Views: 101
  • mckenzie stuart 15.10.15.docx
    177.1 KB · Views: 89
  • mckenzie stuart 30.1.16.docx
    55.2 KB · Views: 82
Your physique will count against you should you want to progress further, however, it belies your ability to keep up with play (although slightly behind where you should have been) throughout the whole Match, not showing any signs of tiring.

Does an assessor really need to write that? We all have a mirror, we know if we don't look like a Clattenburg!

As per your assessments. That Second one will end your chances of promotion I presume. He has marked you down on AOL but not said what you've got wrong. He's focused heavily on positioning at dead ball situations which is a quick win, but the other seconds he hasn't really wrote much to help unless he covered it in the debrief?

The common thread appears to be around positioning and movement and I'm not surprised to be honest. I didn't have a clue about positioning until I had been refereeing for around 7 years. I spent all my time chasing the action. One day, someone told me about drop zones and the shouts of "in his back" referee seemed to evaporate as I either penalised or said no offence.

If you've stalled at this level don't worry, you have another year at your current level, gaining more experience so you can walk it next season. I'd suggest some track work across the summer to improve your ability to zip up the pace, maintain the jog and to look like you are as fit as you are. Then you can shove that snide comment about physique down that assessor's throat (can you tell I had one similar when going 6-5?).

thanks Brian and jacko. assessments are only there to help.

I have been hitting the gym 3 times a week doing weights and on the treadmill. plus 2 to 3 games a week since the start if new year

thanks Brian and jacko. assessments are only there to help.

I have been hitting the gym 3 times a week doing weights and on the treadmill. plus 2 to 3 games a week since the start if new year
Interval training is good for upping your speed. 30 seconds on, 30 seconds off for 20 minutes. Find a speed, you can manage comfortably for the first 30 seconds and stick to that same pace for each of your "on" runs. If you want to switch it up, try 1 minute on, 30 seconds off. And if you're really adventurous (and have time), go for a stepped effect. 4 minutes on, 1 minute off, 3 minutes on, 1 minute off, 2 minutes on, 1 minute off, 1 minute on, 1 minute off, 2 minutes on, 1 minute off, 3 minutes on, 1 minute off, 4 minutes on, 1 minute as cooldown. Always stretch off after training and make sure you take rest days otherwise you are wasting your time.

Keep it fresh like Brian says. Try to go to the gym with a plan, spending 10 minutes on a Monday morning at work planning what your going to do training that week at the gym will save you walking about unsure what to do and getting bored of the same routine.

This is all a bit negative for me - have you had the marks? Do you know you've not made it?

If that was me, I'd be on the blower to the RDO and discussing whether I need to have another assessment. Unless you are a long way away, it could be that one more assessment at mid-70s would bring you back up. You just don't know, and it's hardly unknown territory for a referee to be given an extra assessment in these cases - it happened to two L6s that I know of last season. Chin up man, and take a bit of control.

This is all a bit negative for me - have you had the marks? Do you know you've not made it?

If that was me, I'd be on the blower to the RDO and discussing whether I need to have another assessment. Unless you are a long way away, it could be that one more assessment at mid-70s would bring you back up. You just don't know, and it's hardly unknown territory for a referee to be given an extra assessment in these cases - it happened to two L6s that I know of last season. Chin up man, and take a bit of control.
Marks don't exist anymore for 7-6 & 6-5 assessments. They are just graded in the competences

Back