A&H

After match analysis (TV matches)

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
A lot lately of TV matches, and MOTD too, are showing too much coverage of referees and decisions rather than talking about teams/players own games, and their "mistakes".
This, in my opinion, encourages further complaints on social media and subsequently is bringing this more and more into grassroots games.

In my own game yesterday, a team lost by a hefty margin, yet I overheard the coach tell his players nothing about their performance and, instead, mentioned 3 or 4 things I supposedly done wrong, including sending off one of his players for an off the floor lunge that, if properly connecting to the opponent would have seen an ambulance called (in my opinion).

It's always the referees fault by clubs as it is when they don't win, but surely the media, pundits etc, can stop the micro dissection of referees decisions and start to actually criticise teams instead.

The Referee Store
A lot lately of TV matches, and MOTD too, are showing too much coverage of referees and decisions rather than talking about teams/players own games, and their "mistakes".
This, in my opinion, encourages further complaints on social media and subsequently is bringing this more and more into grassroots games.

In my own game yesterday, a team lost by a hefty margin, yet I overheard the coach tell his players nothing about their performance and, instead, mentioned 3 or 4 things I supposedly done wrong, including sending off one of his players for an off the floor lunge that, if properly connecting to the opponent would have seen an ambulance called (in my opinion).

It's always the referees fault by clubs as it is when they don't win, but surely the media, pundits etc, can stop the micro dissection of referees decisions and start to actually criticise teams instead.
Absolutely. Apply forensics to refereeing and expect forensic scrutiny
Same during games... commentators obsessed with mentioning VAR checks. They're checking everything FFS

It's all about us! The players were right after all :egg:

Last edited:
And they all love to say that Refs are taking too much abuse and things need to change. Non of them take any responsibility for the reasons behind the abuse. Refs are now talked about by every single manager post match interview and by every pundit. MoTD offered hardly any analysis on any of the games.

My otherwise friendly, fair and entertaining match with a little bit of banter was "defined" by one event, 81st minute, that the away team went on and on and on and on about for the remaining 10 minutes and afterwards. Under a bit of pressure, CB half-volleys a bouncing ball back to his 'keeper, who catches it.

IDFK. Free-kick is hammered into the wall, then driven back in where a defender clearly and deliberately handles it. Penalty scored.

Bedlam. Worst referee ever. Ruined the game. No wonder I'm reffing this level etc.

This changed the score to...
(8-0)

All my fault, of course. Absolutely no responsibility taken by the players... just blame the ref who won't be there next week because we won't /can't bite back.

Soccer Saturday is also getting rather tiresome with this. Seems every time Mike Dean tries to explain anything, the panel especially Merson want to talk over and disagree with him! :mad:

Soccer Saturday is also getting rather tiresome with this. Seems every time Mike Dean tries to explain anything, the panel especially Merson want to talk over and disagree with him! :mad:
Was the same with Walton on BT Sport before. He explained the reason and the pundits disagreed with him more often than not.

Don Goodman is another who's default co-commentary style is to question and criticise referee's decisions, with players the innocent victims! :mad:

Don Goodman is another who's default co-commentary style is to question and criticise referee's decisions, with players the innocent victims! :mad:
In fairness Don Goodman has always been pretty good on trying to see things from the referee's perspective.

Perhaps his promotion from EFL to EPL commentary has changed things.

It's how they drive maximum traffic to their social media sites, even now when referees are getting decisions correct (on the whole) they are posting them questioning if they were correct, fully knowing that they were. Pundits know their jobs are reliant on creating traffic so they have employment incentive to keep creating controversy. Unfortunately the general viewer, fan and grassroots player cannot see that and it ends up in a herd mentality that leads to this abuse of referees.

Controversy creates cash.

People like to say that refereeing standards have dipped compared to what they were. Whilst I agree that previous regimes may not have been great, officials get far more correct than players & managers will during a game. They also like to say certain referees like to make it all about them (Mike Dean as a prime example). The only thing that’s changed is the media like to jump on top of every single decision. More camera angles in the game and social media are a big reason behind this. People nowadays can go onto any form of social media and spout any old nonsense, quite often form what they’ve heard the supposed experts say on TV, and others take it as gospel. The biggest example of this being the Everton vs Arsenal game. The amount of people on there saying it couldn’t be offside as the initial pass by Gabriel wasn’t played forward is scary. They believe offside can only be when the ball is played forwards

But thems the times, unfortunately!

Controversy creates cash
Very much agree...
The VAR makes refereeing far more conspicuous. The VAR process and mistakes generate more controversy and analysis than it forgoes. The uproar fuels the circus and the 24/7 news channels have endless fodder for debate and the game benefits commercially.
For those in any doubt, I don't like VAR ;) The primary reason is that it conflicts with my philosophy (and ironically that of the LOTG) that the best games involve as much refereeing anonymity as possible. The circus of VAR contributes to the commercial success of the game at the expense of respect for referees and what we represent. There is personal benefit (and therefore conflict of interests) to those who have refereeing careers associated with VAR

Last edited:
Back