A&H

Advising game being observed

The county should've assigned you a mentor. Some sort of FA auditing of referee courses needs to take place as many counties clearly aren't doing their job.
Your best bet is joining the Local RA, usually someone will be prepared to have an informal look at you.

The Referee Store
OK wrong term used but the point is still valid. Thinking about it I didn't get assigned a mentor either. On the plus side I have had not had a phone call from my RDO asking about one of my games yet so I can assume that the teams I have reffed have not had any issues or complaints, apart from pens not given, wrong offsides, no foul, no hand ball etc etc! Thats a good idea it would be nice to get some observations and feed back but I have a feeling the observers are not many and there are a lot of refs kicking around and if there are issues being reported they would have to observe those refs first .
Yeah, I remember getting a mentor was a little tough as well. I had to email someone, who then gave me my mentor's contact details, who I then had to arrange a match that we could both do. And there wasn't much follow-up other than a hand-written report. Although I suspect if I did have any awful experiences, there would have been more contact.

Observers are dwindling in number and mentors are even fewer. The Observer is probably busy at another game, one for a Contributory, Supply or Promotion referee. The Mentor is probably an Observer or a referee who has his own game.

The Mentor process is that one is appointed. The Mentee makes the first contact. The two agree a basis for contact, e.g. every game, every other game, etc. Contact is unlikely to be a match observation. There's just not enough bodies.

What Brian says. CFAs don't have enough observers to cover all of the 7-6, 6-5, and 5-4 candidates the required number of times, so there is no chance they are going to send one out to watch a referee who isn't on promotion.

A mentor is the answer, but there aren't enough of those either. You don't necessarily need someone to watch you though, sometimes just someone being on the end of a phone is all you need.

And yet down here (Brian's pov)/ up here (Rusty's pov) there are Observers who cannot recall the last time they did an observation- suggesting we're flush with them?

Strange state of affairs, then again mind you, we are the "drive through county" where nobody stops to look at anything!

And yet down here (Brian's pov)/ up here (Rusty's pov) there are Observers who cannot recall the last time they did an observation- suggesting we're flush with them?

Strange state of affairs, then again mind you, we are the "drive through county" where nobody stops to look at anything!
Got my 30th of the season on Saturday.

The question there though would be are they available to observe, or are they not observing because they are out refereeing every Saturday and Sunday. Down here we've been extremely successful in weeding out some of the old school assessors who won't change and insisted on doing it their way, and the panel now has a high percentage of level 4s and above. The obvious down side of that is they are out refereeing every Saturday and most midweeks, so getting the coverage is probably harder than it was than when we had observers who had retired from refereeing 30 years ago and had nothing else to do on a Saturday and Sunday other than assess.

As I said in my OP I am not on the promotion trail this season, but reading through some of the latter comments in this thread there seems to be a suggestion that there are a lack of observers, or a lack of availability due to them refereeing. On the back of this, has there been any examples of promotion candidates not gaining promotion because they haven't had the required number of observations, but through no fault of their own?

I'm currently on my 6-5 promotion trail and I've only had 2 of my 3 assessments, having done something around 18-20 matches.

I have a feeling that counties will work down the ranks, deploying assessors to mainly 5-4's and above as a top priority, then moving on to doing mainly 6-5's, then moving on to doing mainly 7-6's. As I was injured during November/December, I suspect that's when 6-5's were being prioritised - and even though I've been squeezing matches into Jan/Feb to get up to my 20, I'm not a priority for observation at the moment. I've got at least 2 (and hopefully 4) more matches scheduled for Feb, so I've still got a good chance of getting assessed for a 3rd time and avoiding having to rely on club marks, so we'll see!

As I said in my OP I am not on the promotion trail this season, but reading through some of the latter comments in this thread there seems to be a suggestion that there are a lack of observers, or a lack of availability due to them refereeing. On the back of this, has there been any examples of promotion candidates not gaining promotion because they haven't had the required number of observations, but through no fault of their own?

I cannot recall such an example, but it could happen most likely when an observer is appointed but the match is not played (unfit) or the referee is injured.

The question there though would be are they available to observe, or are they not observing because they are out refereeing every Saturday and Sunday. Down here we've been extremely successful in weeding out some of the old school assessors who won't change and insisted on doing it their way, and the panel now has a high percentage of level 4s and above. The obvious down side of that is they are out refereeing every Saturday and most midweeks, so getting the coverage is probably harder than it was than when we had observers who had retired from refereeing 30 years ago and had nothing else to do on a Saturday and Sunday other than assess.

The move to electronic reporting of the assessments have also removed a number of the "old school" who cannot use the required IT. These are still respect referees and could assist @Twinblade develop, but these would normally be contacted via the local RA. They do offer good advice for new referees, but possible "out of the loop" for promotion candidates.

in my neck of the woods you don't need t tell the clubs that there is an observer present. the big puffy jackets with the clip board is sign enough.

in my first observed game i didn't tell the clubs but they figured it out soon enough and it was probably my worst game of the season

I've always this season adviced clubs when I was being observed but to do it on the day of the game is showing me that your not prepared enough so do it on the same day the observer contacts you

I've always this season adviced clubs when I was being observed but to do it on the day of the game is showing me that your not prepared enough so do it on the same day the observer contacts you
I would be very wary of doing that. At our promotion seminar here in Essex, we were explicitly told not to do that - and I think the implication was that the assessment could be struck off if the observer believes the players knowing had an effect on how they treated you.

At some levels of football in England, they will need to ensure they have free entry to the game and car parking available to the observer.

At L3 and above, they may have an assigned seat for the observer + the curtsy of refreshments.

At some levels of football in England, they will need to ensure they have free entry to the game and car parking available to the observer.

At L3 and above, they may have an assigned seat for the observer + the curtsy of refreshments.
But is that not for the FA to inform the club or the assessor themselves? Surely a referee informing teams of I have an assessor today so to speed things up etc is against the rules? Over here you turn up someone's there and they introduce themselves and you get squeaky bxumhole time! :bite:

Because you have forewarned the team that equipment like tape and under armour have got to match I find that if there warned then they are not going to moan

Telling teams you are being assessed/observed has got bad news written all over it. Most teams are able to work it out for themselves anyway. Generally the county coat and clipboard are the big giveaway.

Back